Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:35:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 104318 times)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #285 on: November 27, 2019, 04:10:26 PM »
 RilliNt! Love those severed heads too, great skin tone!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #286 on: December 20, 2019, 03:40:03 PM »
Another Orc done for fun, with an added crossbow cord made from a plastic bristle from a cheap dustpan and brush set.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #287 on: December 20, 2019, 03:47:59 PM »
That's a fantastic paint job - perfect for that model too; brings out all the charm of the sculpt.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #288 on: December 20, 2019, 07:54:24 PM »
In the best possible way, that is one scrofulous looking sod. 8)

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #289 on: December 20, 2019, 08:32:01 PM »
Superb!
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #290 on: December 25, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »
I think you are my favorite painter. I love your use of black and dark coulurs in  warm tones. Do you by chance have any tutorials about how you approach painting in this style floating around the internet?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #291 on: December 25, 2019, 06:48:27 PM »
I think you are my favorite painter. I love your use of black and dark coulurs in  warm tones. Do you by chance have any tutorials about how you approach painting in this style floating around the internet?

Thank you so much. I get the tutorial request a lot and I'm always embarrassed to say I don't do any (apart from a tutorial on painting British Airborne I did years ago). I honestly couldn't say what sort of process I go through when I paint, nor really what colours I use (I mix my own colours in 4-6 stage pots and have them ready on the desk).

In general I do paint from a black undercoat base and leave plenty of shadow in the creases when building up the layers towards the highlights. I use brown and black washes quite a lot to get shade and dirt effects and I like to use a lot of brown shades in general, sometimes using muddy brown flicks on the edges of things to show them as being dirty and tatty. I also like to put a tiny spot of extreme highlight on things occasionally, just on one or two points.

I do like to play with flesh tones as well and concentrate on faces, especially eyes, because that's what people look at first.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #292 on: December 25, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
Thank you so much. I get the tutorial request a lot and I'm always embarrassed to say I don't do any (apart from a tutorial on painting British Airborne I did years ago). I honestly couldn't say what sort of process I go through when I paint, nor really what colours I use (I mix my own colours in 4-6 stage pots and have them ready on the desk).

In general I do paint from a black undercoat base and leave plenty of shadow in the creases when building up the layers towards the highlights. I use brown and black washes quite a lot to get shade and dirt effects and I like to use a lot of brown shades in general, sometimes using muddy brown flicks on the edges of things to show them as being dirty and tatty. I also like to put a tiny spot of extreme highlight on things occasionally, just on one or two points.

I do like to play with flesh tones as well and concentrate on faces, especially eyes, because that's what people look at first.

Well, your explanation makes a lot of sense when I look through your various threads. Thank you for that.
 I want to try out painting with more contrast myself. The use of pure white dots here and there, even on skin, is probably where I'll start. Do you mix in a lot of red into your browns? They have a certain warmness to them, which I really like.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #293 on: December 25, 2019, 09:23:31 PM »
You make it sound so easy Cubs :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #294 on: December 26, 2019, 10:51:23 AM »
Do you mix in a lot of red into your browns? They have a certain warmness to them, which I really like.

I have a lot of brown shades ready (can't have too many) and some have red in. The Red Leather and Italian Yew (fairly arbitrary names I've given them really, depending on what I was about to paint when I mixed them up first time) have red in, but there's also dull shades like Khaki Brown, Butternut, Dull Leather, Chocolate .. etc ..

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #295 on: December 26, 2019, 11:26:09 AM »
Love it, that's an absolutely superb paint job. I'm especially impressed with the way you mix green and flesh tones on the muzzle and ears in such a convincing and naturalistic way. It's very difficult to paint 'dirty' without it looking muddy and dull, but it really works here and on your other figures.

Incidentally, some of the old Citadel sculpts were absolutely brilliant. I now have a feeling to go dig in the shed and see what's there.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #296 on: December 28, 2019, 09:35:43 AM »
Fantastic.

I remember many of these figures when they were in my collection way back (a friend still has many of them stowed away in Quality Street tins in his garage). I agree with you on the orcs too. Those figures are what I envision when I think of orcs/goblins. I use to have a bunch of them and I'd love to get my hands on a big batch of them nowadays.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #297 on: December 28, 2019, 10:04:21 AM »
Absolutely love this one - class!  :-*
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2020, 07:08:39 PM »
Latest addition is 'The Editor' from the White Dwarf Personalities pack. I believe it's based on Ian Livingstone.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #299 on: March 16, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »
:D He's awesome! Cracking job sir.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new