Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:48:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 100641 times)

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #375 on: May 11, 2020, 05:20:16 AM »
pure excellence!
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #376 on: May 11, 2020, 03:49:28 PM »
Thanks peeps, like I say, tartan isn't so bad if you plan what you're going to do and take it slow, but it's tough on the eyes and is slooooow.

There's a bit of conversion going on now, just for fun. I don't normally like converting old classic models, but when you've got a couple of dozen of them and they're all the same … I say they're fair game.

These are the Harboth's Regiment of Renown Orcs and I wanted a little bit of variety. The arms have been cut off at the shoulder and the weapon (the 'dwarf tickler', forerunner of the choppa) cut off the ankle, with varying degrees of collateral damage. The repositions aren't overly natural, but I wanted the raised arms to add a bit of height to the unit when assembled, because the rest will be all hunched over. A Greenstuff/Milliput blend has been used to plug the gaps and reconstruct where necessary. For the third figure (a variant carrying a polearm) the blade was removed from his weapon and a plasticard replacement was carved just for him - something that actually resembles the 'dwarf tickler' from the illustration in the fluff for Harboth's regiment.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #377 on: May 11, 2020, 07:34:16 PM »
Those Tartans are spectacularly good. Especially the colour choices. All too often people make the colours too garish, and the patterns too simplistic. The yellow one is especially good. I've copied the pictures as inspiration for some Jacobites I have on the workbench.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #378 on: May 11, 2020, 08:27:30 PM »
Those Tartans are spectacularly good. Especially the colour choices. All too often people make the colours too garish, and the patterns too simplistic.

Yeah, I looked through tartan patterns and chose ones that I thought were easily achievable and looked effective. Sometimes the addition of a little red line made it pop, sometimes it made it too messy. I used black ink to crisp up the edges of the colour bands as well, which I think helps. Getting that balance isn't easy. The green one disappears a bit with the black squares and green bands, but I did want that one to be more muted.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #379 on: May 11, 2020, 08:46:40 PM »
There's a bit of conversion going on now, just for fun. I don't normally like converting old classic models, but when you've got a couple of dozen of them and they're all the same … I say they're fair game.

I used to feel the same - to the extent that my teenage greenstuff-converted heads are all outsized so that they could be peeled off by some future restorer! But now I think that the end product is all that matters. These look really good - and the big dwarf-tickler 'reads' better than the original glaive, which has its head attached so that the cutting edge is too far back, I think. It's a rare thing to improve on the Perrys ...

Are you going to alter any of the faces? I recall John Blanche discussed and illustrated adding a thick head of hair to the polearm variant in a Citadel journal ...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #380 on: May 11, 2020, 08:56:29 PM »
Are you going to alter any of the faces? I recall John Blanche discussed and illustrated adding a thick head of hair to the polearm variant in a Citadel journal ...

My teenage self added a pipe cleaner mohawk to a couple of them, but now I can't bring myself to do it! I was considering cutting the head off and repositioning it for an open-mouthed yell, but in the end decided it was too much hassle and would risk me turning it into a hot mess.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #381 on: May 11, 2020, 09:08:40 PM »
Bit late; those highlanders are brilliant  :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #382 on: May 11, 2020, 10:05:41 PM »
Gorgeous highlanders.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #383 on: May 11, 2020, 10:49:27 PM »
Stunning paint work :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #384 on: May 12, 2020, 12:37:09 AM »
Wow. The highlanders are "Tartantastic" indeed.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Online hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #385 on: May 12, 2020, 07:47:49 AM »
Gorgeous :-*

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #386 on: May 12, 2020, 11:47:16 AM »
Amazing stuff Cubs!  :o  I really like your painting style.  Loving the RQ miniatures and all the varied skin tones on those old school Orcs.  That Chronicle wolf.  Wow!

Offline Nicklas P

• Librarian
    • instagram
« Reply #387 on: May 13, 2020, 09:45:36 PM »
Love checking in on this thread. Gorgeous work, Paul.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #388 on: May 26, 2020, 03:36:55 PM »
A couple more mins from the 80's now. First is Ugbash Facesplitter, one of the White Dwarf Personalities, apparently a half-orc. He's taken from a single ink illustration from what I can tell. The other guy is a knight or paladin to be used as an alternate Harkness Knight for McDeath. He carries what appears to be an accordion for some reason. Who am I to judge?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #389 on: May 26, 2020, 04:15:11 PM »
Brilliant on both - and you manage to make that huge sword look almost feasible! Ugbash is, ahem, quite a beauty when he's given treatment like this!