Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:01:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689271
  • Total Topics: 118268
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 103736 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #450 on: December 13, 2020, 02:53:03 PM »
You filthy filthy liar! No, they're all from the first 'Humanoid Adventurers' (I wonder why it wasn't just 'human'?) Boxed Set #1, but the first one often has a broken axe these days.

lol screw U
Well, that’s a mystery...
It was a purple and pink box IIRC, and had 10 figures in it, in a grey sponge tray... but that first one with the axe was definitely not one of them... To be fair, I’m pretty sure I picked them up in a swap (this was like, the best part of 40 years ago  ::)) so I guess whoever I got them from could have substituted a figure or two...

Here are a few of them before I sold them on a couple of years back... painted in Humbrol enamels by my teenage self. Isn’t age wonderful?  ::)
As you see, there was a figure with an axe - but he had horns on his helmet. Not the same as yours...
Also it definitely included the swordsman with the shield on his back in the Corinithian helmet. Don’t know what became of him...
Hmmm. Now I’m intrigued  lol

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #451 on: December 13, 2020, 02:54:49 PM »
Right, okay, here's the one incorrectly labelled as a Waha adventurer (a plains nomad cult), repainted as a Pavis adventurer (a city, not a cult). On second inspection, none of the adventurers in the boxed set have a design that fits with Waha, so I'll just swap round the Waha and Pavis models (as labelled on the box) and smooth out the rune on the Pavis guy's shield (which doesn't fit with either Pavis or Waha, so Jehovah only knows what was going on in the studio back in the day). Back to this fella though, just a quick repaint on the tunic, to make it less rustic and more refined looking (although still mucky ... he is an adventurer after all) and ditto with the shield. The metalwork was brightened up and polished as well and his crest brightened up to match the tunic. I prefer him this way to be honest.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #452 on: December 13, 2020, 03:00:15 PM »
Here are a few of them before I sold them on a couple of years back...

That guy on the left shouldn't be there, he's not in the boxed set, which might explain matters.

Dude with the horns is a Storm Bull adventurer (anti-Chaos berserkers, see earlier on in this thread for him), the girl is Chalana Arroy (healing), the big fella with club is Issaries (trade and commerce), the guy on the end with scimitar is Seven Mothers (lunar cult, as seen in this batch). The original boxed set had the picture of the bikini-clad girl with a big bronze shield fighting a big lizardman on the front.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #453 on: December 13, 2020, 03:04:11 PM »
That is a fantastic paint job, as always, Cubs! love the darks, it makes the white tunic jump.

Online Cultist of Sooty

• Bookworm
« Reply #454 on: December 13, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »
Right, okay, here's the one incorrectly labelled as a Waha adventurer (a plains nomad cult), repainted as a Pavis adventurer (a city, not a cult).
Glorantha nerdery incoming! (Nerdery, on a gaming forum, who could have predicted that?  :) )

Pavis is both a city and a cult. Pavis, who is now worshipped as a god, founded the city. There is a ziggurat temple to him in New Pavis, which would make a nice shield image, and an older temple in the Big Rubble. I suppose the symbol that adventurer is using depicts one of the defensive towers in the city walls.

Pavis is primarily associated with the Man rune, though his cult also displays Earth, Harmony, and Stasis runes.

I love these old RQ miniatures. I never owned any myself as they went out of production around the time I first got interested. You've done a cracking job on them, I must say.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #455 on: December 14, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »
Pavis is both a city and a cult.

Ay carumba, no wonder I used to get so confused with it all.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #456 on: December 14, 2020, 01:44:00 PM »
Belting work Cubs!

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #457 on: December 16, 2020, 07:15:03 PM »
Excellent painting
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #458 on: December 16, 2020, 08:06:24 PM »
Love the minis!

Glorantha nerdery incoming! (Nerdery, on a gaming forum, who could have predicted that?  :) )

Pavis is both a city and a cult. Pavis, who is now worshipped as a god, founded the city. There is a ziggurat temple to him in New Pavis, which would make a nice shield image, and an older temple in the Big Rubble. I suppose the symbol that adventurer is using depicts one of the defensive towers in the city walls.

Pavis is primarily associated with the Man rune, though his cult also displays Earth, Harmony, and Stasis runes.

I love these old RQ miniatures. I never owned any myself as they went out of production around the time I first got interested. You've done a cracking job on them, I must say.

Um, perhaps we crossed paths at Convulsion...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #459 on: January 12, 2021, 02:45:54 PM »
  A couple more lads from the Runequest Adventurers (#1) Boxed Set.

First fella (with axe) is mislabelled as Pavis (city cult) on the box (probably a mix-up between the Pavis and Waha adventurers) but he had the wrong shield design so I've done him as Waha (plains nomad). I've added a slight dome to the shield and painted it as bronze covered in animal hide with a Death Rune branded onto it, (as befits a plains nomad type) and leather vambraces.

Second fella is the Yelmalio (sun and sky) adventurer. I've done him in bright colours with a white cuirass (painted bronze or linen, you takes your choice) and sun design, with matching shield.

Only two more to go until this boxed set is complete!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #460 on: January 12, 2021, 02:59:20 PM »
Stunning! I remember the Yelmalio guy from the days of yore, but the axe-wielding chap had quite escaped my memory - possibly because he looked fairly unassuming in the lead: no longer!

Do you have other Runequest stuff up your sleeve after this box is done? Trolls? Broo? Dragonewts?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #461 on: January 12, 2021, 06:03:18 PM »
Do you have other Runequest stuff up your sleeve after this box is done? Trolls? Broo? Dragonewts?

There's the second boxed set, Humanoid Adventurers (with a couple of trolls, duck, morocanth, baboon and dwarf as well as a couple of other humans) and then the Trolls boxed set.

I forgot to say, I'm replacing the spears and slimmer weapons where necessary with wire ones. Even the original spears were often awful, without any sort of spearhead, just thin sticks in the hand. Runequest was quite big on long spears both in the rules and on the mins.

Online Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #462 on: January 12, 2021, 06:40:25 PM »
Lovely work again there Cubs. You are certainly doing these miniatures full justice with your fantastic paintjobs  :-*
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Duff

• Scientist
    • Duff Paint
« Reply #463 on: January 12, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »
Fantastic work Cubs, you're inspiring me to paint the olds RQ figures I have, at least the ones that are still in serviceable condition.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #464 on: January 12, 2021, 10:02:18 PM »
It's been a while since I last looked in on this thread and it's great to see these old runequest figures. I use to have this set and I remember how good the figures were and they still look fantastic by today's standards.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/