Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:00:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 100657 times)

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #525 on: May 04, 2021, 10:04:32 PM »
Yeah, I know it's continually banged on about, but I've always thought the Perry's work on the early Warhammer ranges have a quality far above that of the other sculptors. They didn't always get the anatomy bang on (and the casting doesn't need talking about) but the poses, the faces and the sheer life of them still give me a shot of the happy hormones whenever I look at their work.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #526 on: May 04, 2021, 10:52:01 PM »
It would be lovely to see some more Broo Cubs,one of my favourite miniatures is an Antelope headed Broo,very regal,still have him in enamel and oils :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #527 on: May 05, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »
Yeah, I know it's continually banged on about, but I've always thought the Perry's work on the early Warhammer ranges have a quality far above that of the other sculptors. They didn't always get the anatomy bang on (and the casting doesn't need talking about) but the poses, the faces and the sheer life of them still give me a shot of the happy hormones whenever I look at their work.
I think it's because the heroic scale and lack of accuracy in anatomy allowed for some really expressive sculpts. Their current lines are all close to true scale and it leaves little room for expression, while at GW they could make everyone look like a Punch and Judy puppet. Realism doesn't tend to be as interesting as the weird things you can pull off when you throw it out the window.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #528 on: May 05, 2021, 06:26:17 PM »
I think Aly Morrison and Bob Naismith on their good days could give the Perrys a run for their money. Mark Copplestone too.

If I was forced to come up with a list of my top ten sculpts from the glory days, say 1985–87, it would probably include sculpts from all of them plus Jes Goodwin. I think that’s a good thing.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #529 on: May 05, 2021, 07:06:33 PM »
It would be lovely to see some more Broo Cubs,one of my favourite miniatures is an Antelope headed Broo,very regal,still have him in enamel and oils :)

Is he the one stood tall and upright, with a fur cloak over his left arm?

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #530 on: May 05, 2021, 07:57:03 PM »
That’s the one,I painted him white. I’ll have to pull him out :)

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #531 on: May 08, 2021, 05:40:11 PM »
A quick diversion to tackle the first of the Talisman models - the Troll. I tried to stay pretty close to the picture on his card, but a little snazzier. The base is just plain grass (to match the 'Outer Region' on the playing board), because these models are going to be very much playing pieces, not just display pieces.

Love this guy, and all the others! I like the way they are largely in muted browns, with colour used sparingly - it captures a look that I really like for fantasy figures.

My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #532 on: May 11, 2021, 05:26:05 AM »
More great work here Cubs, well done.
I thought I'd missed out on lots of your painting with 6 pages to catch up on. Turns out it was only a few. It's a credit to your painting the sheer amount of comments you receive!

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #533 on: May 11, 2021, 07:07:01 AM »
It's a credit to your painting the sheer amount of comments you receive!

Urm ... yeah, that's what it is! Not that us oldsters hang around here chewing the fat, complaining about how you got real models back then, the girls were prettier and Wagon Wheels were bigger.

Offline McYellowbelly

• Mad Scientist
    • Terrain Monkey blog
« Reply #534 on: May 11, 2021, 08:24:57 AM »
 :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:26:53 AM by McYellowbelly »
You don't scare me lady, I've been drinking with skeletons080918083132.png

Offline McYellowbelly

• Mad Scientist
    • Terrain Monkey blog
« Reply #535 on: May 11, 2021, 08:25:58 AM »
Urm ... yeah, that's what it is! Not that us oldsters hang around here chewing the fat, complaining about how you got real models back then, the girls were prettier and Wagon Wheels were bigger.
so were curly wurlies!
And we had white dog poo you could kick along the pavement!

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #536 on: May 11, 2021, 08:30:11 AM »
 lol

Offline Ingarsby73

• Bookworm
« Reply #537 on: May 11, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »
They are rather awe-inspiring, aren't they - the level of detail, the colour choices, and the realism you think to bring to them with the take on tartan or redness around the eyes of the troll and the varying pigmentation of his skin. It makes them all so plausibly real - if the Talisman troll wandered into your garden, that's what he'd look like.

And yes, there is dose of old school nostalgia, but I'm (just) too young to have bought non-slotta base Citadel figures and I love this lot. Also larger wagon wheels etc etc

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #538 on: May 11, 2021, 10:23:31 AM »
Wagon wheels were bigger..

But your work is still fantastic, whether its proper real old models, or modern fakery so I can accept that about wagon wheels with a little grace.

oh the memories, curly wurlies, and mars bars that fit their rappers, rather than having extra "air" in them.

Damn and I remember the sun bleached dog poo!

oh those olden times..

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #539 on: May 13, 2021, 05:35:10 AM »
Real models as in you can throw them at home invaders due to their heft rather than plastic crap?