Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 100519 times)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #645 on: May 21, 2022, 09:15:39 PM »
One of my all time favourite dwarves! I have him in my collection, amazing painting on this !

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #646 on: May 21, 2022, 10:25:22 PM »
He’s perfect  :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline McYellowbelly

• Mad Scientist
    • Terrain Monkey blog
« Reply #647 on: May 21, 2022, 11:21:35 PM »
Superb.
Now I want one of those for my oldschool collection!
You don't scare me lady, I've been drinking with skeletons080918083132.png

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #648 on: October 23, 2022, 02:04:59 PM »
These guys are the first batch from 'The Legend of Kremlo' miniature collection, Kremlo himself and his Viking allies to follow.

So, the long delay between posts is due to - a) me getting a new grown-up job during the week that keeps me tired and busy, b) more bouts of illness than I thought possible for anyone outside of medical test trials. Is it just me, or is the world full of damn viruses these days? The new flu is an absolute killer (still got it) - I genuinely can't remember feeling so ill in my life (worse than my Covid stints).

Anyhoo, that's enough self-pity for now, time to glean some pity from others for having to paint so many Slann. I don't like painting Slann, they've got so many little fiddly details hidden in crevices on the models and it's not obvious what they're meant to be (at least not to me, who has no knowledge of South or Meso-American stuff). I've basically guessed what a bunch of things are meant to be and gone with that - weapons being a mix of wood, dull bronze, bright bronze, gold, bone and obsidian. I prefer the dark and dingy instead of the wild carnival of colours that this Space Frog Mardi-Gras requires, but now they're done and are at least eye-catching. I enjoyed doing the poor lobotomised slaves, with the scarring on their temples and blood-shot empty eyes.

Slann Leaders

Slann Warriors

Slann Blowpipes

Slann Lobotomised Human Slaves

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 02:18:57 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #649 on: October 23, 2022, 02:10:09 PM »
Beautifully done, those slaves are great. Always thought they were a little dumpy looking, you really made them shine.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #650 on: October 23, 2022, 02:15:52 PM »
Those are spectacular - really well done all round. The contrast between the psychedelic Slann and their dead-eyed slaves is marvellous.

Yes, there do seem to be some nasty microbes around; we've had some bouncing around the household for the past week and no one's properly over it yet.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #651 on: October 23, 2022, 03:09:31 PM »
The new flu is an absolute killer (still got it) - I genuinely can't remember feeling so ill in my life (worse than my Covid stints).

the poor lobotomised slaves, with the scarring on their temples and blood-shot empty eyes.

Any connection between these two statements?  ;)

Lovely paint work by the way.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #652 on: October 23, 2022, 03:24:02 PM »
Any connection between these two statements?  ;)

On Thursday night/Friday morning I was seriously considering making a lethal cocktail from kitchen ingredients to put myself out of my misery. But yes, having zero hrs sleep in a 36hr hour period gave me a very similar appearance. The loincloth was pure coincidence. 

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #653 on: October 23, 2022, 04:03:56 PM »
On Thursday night/Friday morning I was seriously considering making a lethal cocktail from kitchen ingredients to put myself out of my misery. But yes, having zero hrs sleep in a 36hr hour period gave me a very similar appearance. The loincloth was pure coincidence.

Yeah my work does that to me two, and then wonders why I am a bit "techy" when they ask me to do "one more thing".

the Loin cloth sounds a good idea though, it might make them let me work from home even more..

But needs must the money.

Hope you get to feeling betters soon.

As always, my god can you paint. even without sleep.

no idea what the bits are on the Slann either but you made them look great whatever they are.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #654 on: October 23, 2022, 07:43:40 PM »
Love 'em Paul. Fantastic work.

These figures were right at the start of my enthusiasm for the hobby, so they reek nostalgia for me. I never bought any Slann, but I still have the Norse unpainted, really looking forward to seeing your work on them. I never had Kremlo either.

Even though I never bought the Slann, I loved Mr Blanches illustrations of them, and loved his Norse drawings even more.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #655 on: October 23, 2022, 08:18:54 PM »
Beautiful painting on those classic figures. I miss the old version of Slaan, figures - the giant levitating mega-sorcerers don’t have the same appeal. I still have a few slaan infantry to paint.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 03:16:26 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #656 on: October 23, 2022, 08:49:13 PM »
I loved Mr Blanches illustrations of them, and loved his Norse drawings even more.

Yeah, them pen and ink sketches in the old Warhammer publications ... the hours I spent copying them with my Rotring pens.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #657 on: October 23, 2022, 09:23:23 PM »
Oh my goodness! So much Oldhammer fun! I absolutely love your Kremlo models. I never had that scenario, but it was one of those where I was drawn between total admiration and feeling estranged…something I would love to feel more often with modern models.

Anyway, great painting (as usual) on the Slamm. Iirc it was not easy to make these alien aztec frogs look good.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #658 on: October 24, 2022, 02:05:16 AM »
The Slann are beautiful.  Good luck on the new 'grown-ip' job.  I must admit to not missing mine.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #659 on: October 24, 2022, 08:25:13 AM »
Yeah, them pen and ink sketches in the old Warhammer publications ... the hours I spent copying them with my Rotring pens.

I never did that, but I found them incredibly inspiring. Did you ever see Mr Blanche's similar cover to Heroes? What inspired me was that the drawings brought an element of fantasy art to boring Dark Age figures. Instead of just drawing Vikings in trousers and tunics with some puttees arounds the ankles, he added layers and furs in a way the young Nick hadn't seen before. Did you notice the masked Viking on the right has a pelt of a  badger over his knee, fantastic. Don't miss that when you come to paint him, I thought whichever Mr Perry made the figures was really faithful to Mr Blanches work, even the badger head is there.

Great stuff Mr Cubbin!!