Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:39:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

?

Plynkes - Mrs Lucton's Tomboy Tearaways
166 (61.3%)
Pulper - Adventurers
105 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Voting closed: June 01, 2018, 11:26:00 PM

Author Topic: Round 5 - Mrs Lucton's Tomboy Tearaways vs. Adventurers  (Read 6880 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Round 5 - Mrs Lucton's Tomboy Tearaways vs. Adventurers
« on: May 26, 2018, 11:26:00 PM »

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Round 5 - Mrs Lucton's Tomboy Tearaways vs. Adventurers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 12:20:23 AM »
Plynkes! Good god man, just how much converting is in that lot? I've never seen any of those figures before.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:56:06 AM »
Plynkes old chap, that is superb! The little girl with the shield made me think of my youngest.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Maledrakh

• Librarian
    • At the Mountains of Minis
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »
 :o those are both so good!

Superb lighting effects on the lampholding dungeoneers!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 11:13:48 AM »
Brilliant Plynkes. What a hilarious and wonderfully realised piece of storytelling  :-*
Love the Zulu child from Hell  lol

The dungeoneers are wonderful too. The glow from the lanterns onto the helmet and face - very skilfully done. The painting is superb all round. I think it's going to be a close-run thing against Plynkes' gorgeous little whimsical vignette though.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »
Fram, the four school kids are all conversions to lesser or greater degrees, though with one of them the only converting is the addition of a hat and a hockey stick. They are Westwind Vampire Wars figures. Lord Montague the cat was bought from eBay, I forget the manufacturer. The only conversion he has had is a sloppily-applied coat of liquid Greenstuff to make the pink paint.

The other figures are not conversions. They are Foundry/Casting Room figures (Casting Room is where Foundry hides all the sculpts from "The Dark Time" that they are ashamed of these days, but there are still some things worth having in there).

I suppose a little bit of background is in order. These are some of the staff and pupils of Mrs. Lucton's School for Troublesome and Wayward Girls. Mrs. Lucton is the owner and headmistress, she's the old dear in red. Next to her is Miss Pretty, form teacher of the Tomboy Tearaways, blithely ignoring all their mischief as usual.

Left to right the Tearaways are:
Marmalade Tomkins, who likes to paint things pink, with her current muse, Lord Montague the school cat.

The Sweeting Sisters, Loredana and Noor (known respectively as Lethal Lora and Bloody Nora, for their exploits on the Hockey team). They aren't Zulus, but East End Urchins, plucked from the streets by Colonel Sweeting, the Commanding Officer and founder of Sweeting's Sikhs. They attempted to pick his pocket (with fishing rods from the rooftops). His response was to adopt them and send them to a private school to have them turned into proper young ladies. How well that is going is open to debate.

Nora's shield was what won her the form prize. She made it for her history project about the Zulu War. Interestingly enough, this was at about the same time the school goat went missing.

Finally we have Amy Limehouse. Her hobby is collecting Policemen's helmets.

Believe it or not, this is all part of the backstory to my Congo project coming soon to a thread near you (grown-up Nora and Lora are the protagonists). It, er... got a bit out of hand.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:06:48 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »
Wanted to say how much I like Pulper's painting too, but I hurriedly hit  "Post" because it is thundering like billy-o here, and I didn't want to lose all that typing to a power cut!  lol

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
Pulper, such fantastic painting would be a sure winner usually - but, against such beautiful and originally story-telling and painting I had no chance to give my vote to Mrs Lucton aka Dylan Plynkes.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »

I was brought to LA by scenes from LPL featuring non military models done with storytelling in mind.
That my holy grail now which I am slowly trying to gather miniatures and idea for to try some time..
Plynykes is killing that theme this year. Thats the thing I am coming here for :)

Said that I am looking at faces of Pulper models with awe for few rounds now.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 05:16:27 PM »
Both are bloody awesome! How shall we vote, if both are brilliant? I went for originally and the ladies and girls got my vote, but only after long contemplation.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 06:36:52 AM »
Fram, the four school kids are all conversions to lesser or greater degrees, though with one of them the only converting is the addition of a hat and a hockey stick. They are Westwind Vampire Wars figures. Lord Montague the cat was bought from eBay, I forget the manufacturer. The only conversion he has had is a sloppily-applied coat of liquid Greenstuff to make the pink paint.

The other figures are not conversions. They are Foundry/Casting Room figures (Casting Room is where Foundry hides all the sculpts from "The Dark Time" that they are ashamed of these days, but there are still some things worth having in there).

I suppose a little bit of background is in order. These are some of the staff and pupils of Mrs. Lucton's School for Troublesome and Wayward Girls. Mrs. Lucton is the owner and headmistress, she's the old dear in red. Next to her is Miss Pretty, form teacher of the Tomboy Tearaways, blithely ignoring all their mischief as usual.

Left to right the Tearaways are:
Marmalade Tomkins, who likes to paint things pink, with her current muse, Lord Montague the school cat.

The Sweeting Sisters, Loredana and Noor (known respectively as Lethal Lora and Bloody Nora, for their exploits on the Hockey team). They aren't Zulus, but East End Urchins, plucked from the streets by Colonel Sweeting, the Commanding Officer and founder of Sweeting's Sikhs. They attempted to pick his pocket (with fishing rods from the rooftops). His response was to adopt them and send them to a private school to have them turned into proper young ladies. How well that is going is open to debate.

Nora's shield was what won her the form prize. She made it for her history project about the Zulu War. Interestingly enough, this was at about the same time the school goat went missing.

Finally we have Amy Limehouse. Her hobby is collecting Policemen's helmets.

Believe it or not, this is all part of the backstory to my Congo project coming soon to a thread near you (grown-up Nora and Lora are the protagonists). It, er... got a bit out of hand.

I just fucking *love* this. It is story telling in the old LAF tradition. Gorgeous realization of an idea, Dylan.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 10:11:02 AM »
I think it is safe to say that this entry draws much of its inspiration from twelve-or-so years of Hammers craziness. So call it a tribute. These are your babies too, H.  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
I think it is safe to say that this entry draws much of its inspiration from twelve-or-so years of Hammers craziness. So call it a tribute. These are your babies too, H.  :)

I swear myself free from any claim of paternity!

Rough match, Pulper. Your entry is really good.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:59:42 AM by Hammers »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 12:15:23 AM »
I loved that bit of Victorian madness. great painting on the dresses.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:28:43 AM by Captain Blood »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Pulper

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 04:49:36 AM »
Excellent narrative entry from Plynkes and a well deserved win.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:29:25 AM by Captain Blood »
We want so much when we need so little. But the illumined man wants for nothing.