Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:06:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts  (Read 40204 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2021, 04:35:29 AM »
Lots of really nice figures in here, and it's a treat to see your older WHFB minis get rebased, repainted, and back onto the table.  :)

In your more recent stuff, the undead are looking particularly good, and I hope we see more of them as you paint them up!

If you're after some cheap-ish plastic chariots that would work well with the skellies, you can get some Victrix Celtic chariots (in hard sprue plastic) which are very nice and would work really well. You'd need to get some skeleton horses to pull them, and some skeleton crew to ride them, but you can then re-purpose the original crew and horses they come with for your other armies (NB: the crew in particular are very nice and would make good hero/wizard characters). The sprues usually go for about £8-10 each on ebay, which is reasonable.

As for more Tomb Kings shields, you could try press-moulding some using Oymaru and some putty of your choice? My experience in doing this is that shields come out rather well (especially as nobody sees the back), and it's far easier and cheaper than fishing on ebay for them.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2021, 08:47:12 AM »
Lots of really nice figures in here, and it's a treat to see your older WHFB minis get rebased, repainted, and back onto the table.  :)

In your more recent stuff, the undead are looking particularly good, and I hope we see more of them as you paint them up!

If you're after some cheap-ish plastic chariots that would work well with the skellies, you can get some Victrix Celtic chariots (in hard sprue plastic) which are very nice and would work really well. You'd need to get some skeleton horses to pull them, and some skeleton crew to ride them, but you can then re-purpose the original crew and horses they come with for your other armies (NB: the crew in particular are very nice and would make good hero/wizard characters). The sprues usually go for about £8-10 each on ebay, which is reasonable.

As for more Tomb Kings shields, you could try press-moulding some using Oymaru and some putty of your choice? My experience in doing this is that shields come out rather well (especially as nobody sees the back), and it's far easier and cheaper than fishing on ebay for them.

For the shields there are also some of the historical egyptians as a source (and for some weapons and such). I think Warlord has a plastic egyptians set. I believe that's where a friend of mine had gotten the troops for his OGAM force

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2021, 10:10:46 PM »

Thank you for these very helpful thoughts.

I have 6 GW tomb kings chariots now, so all good there but the crews look awful. I’ll show what I have at some point. The Victrix chariots are amazing and look how Scruffy Crow rejigged one for Oathmark…

On Tomb Kings shields, a LAFer sold me about thirty for a fiver all in. That’s community as they’d go for more on eBay. I’ll do more spearmen with them. Have a game of KoW in a couple of weeks I’ll be using them for.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2021, 10:12:56 PM »
For the shields there are also some of the historical egyptians as a source (and for some weapons and such). I think Warlord has a plastic egyptians set. I believe that's where a friend of mine had gotten the troops for his OGAM force

Is that right? I’ve always wanted a Kadesh Egyptian force but it’s prohibitive. Wouldn’t it be amazing if they got the Victrix treatment!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2021, 10:14:51 PM »
I was thinking of making the hole round & leaving the
daylight to show through. :D

You must watch the walking dead. I’m sure as the various series have gone on they start doing increasingly odd and creative shots with the zombies. Like
Shooting an image of one of the protagonists through a gunshot wound in a zombie…great stuff!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2021, 10:17:08 PM »
I just went All your topic
Wow that's an impressive collection and you've got great painting skills.
Can't wait to see the Bone Giant painted!

Congats
JuJu
Kaleb Daark

Thanks so much. One day I’ll do it. I suspect will involve a lot
of drybrushing. I’m getting closer though as I’ve painted my first 3D prints!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2021, 11:08:00 AM »
Yeah, the Scruffy Crow Oathmark videos are all very good and extremely helpful for anyone starting out in the game. :)

I also happened to see yesterday that TT Combat have a new range of "Mummy" themed models which look like they'd provide suitable options for catapults, elite units, and even Ushabti. I expect a chariot may follow soon!

Obviously not ideal if you're trying to pare down the to-do list, but they might be useful for filling in some gaps in the army if you fancy them. ;)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2021, 09:56:41 AM »
Yeah, the Scruffy Crow Oathmark videos are all very good and extremely helpful for anyone starting out in the game. :)

I also happened to see yesterday that TT Combat have a new range of "Mummy" themed models which look like they'd provide suitable options for catapults, elite units, and even Ushabti. I expect a chariot may follow soon!

Obviously not ideal if you're trying to pare down the to-do list, but they might be useful for filling in some gaps in the army if you fancy them. ;)

Who doesn’t need more
Miniatures :)

I’m not sure of the quality of those from the paint jobs but the catapult would fill a gap…

Thanks for pointing out.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2021, 09:23:09 PM »
Painted up these nice Elven Gates Ruins from Scibor. On sale from Wayland. Assume because 3D printing is killing resin terrain :)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:39:46 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2021, 09:28:27 PM »
And rebased this Avatars of War chaos hound thing.

Avatars of War Cerberus/Netherhound
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:40:48 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2021, 10:05:49 PM »
Had a nice couple of games of Relicblade.  Five pigs, kind of like orcs, against a couple of big guys (a stone golem and treeman) supported by some chemical flinging dwarf, an elf wizard and some ranged fox rider. Scenario was to touch a terrain stone every turn to get the most points whilst evading and interrupting the opponent. I thought if I ganged up on the big guys, piling in the piggies with all their combat synergies between them, and took them out I could then turn to the squishier unprotected goodness of my opponent’s support team - and then stand by the stones and pick up points. Rather than being outrun on the objective side. The piggies had fun names like berserker pig and battle
pig. Pig warlord became boss pig, and sometimes Stalin.

I took out one of the big guys but the other was just too nails and always seemed to get buffed up back from the floor by his back up team to ultimately take out all my piggies!

I can’t say I took it well. There was lots of swearing in front of the remainder of the FLGS along the lines of “get up you stupid pig and get back in there …or you’ll be sizzling in the morning”.

It never helped. I lost.

In terms of constructive feedback my opponent wrote after “ That was fun. 
What you did wrong was fail to dodge three pigs making one attack and dodging every turn would have blunted my guys attacks and chipped them to death.”

Basically you get a number of actions. I always used all of them to attack. If I’d held back one action each time, a dodge,  it allows you to roll an extra defence dice making you more likely to survive.

Doh.

Next time, the piggies will get you…!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 10:07:39 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2021, 11:30:44 PM »
Ages back I used to play Malifaux (1E and 2E) which was quite fun, and also I have (but never played) Relics which I got as another whimsical tactical skirmish game. I thought Relicblade was perhaps related to Relics, but on investigation it looks like a different game. Anyway, it looks like you had a good game (tactics notwithstanding! ;) ) and all the figures in your game look very nice.

As it's been a while since I looked through your thread here, I had another poke through, and there's lots of really nicely painted figures in here... Did any of these get advanced enough to make a little force from? :)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2022, 07:33:26 PM »
Ages back I used to play Malifaux (1E and 2E) which was quite fun, and also I have (but never played) Relics which I got as another whimsical tactical skirmish game. I thought Relicblade was perhaps related to Relics, but on investigation it looks like a different game. Anyway, it looks like you had a good game (tactics notwithstanding! ;) ) and all the figures in your game look very nice.

As it's been a while since I looked through your thread here, I had another poke through, and there's lots of really nicely painted figures in here... Did any of these get advanced enough to make a little force from? :)

You must tell me about “Relic”. Don’t remember it. I had some fun games of Malifaux 1E but each took like five hours and were too intense for me. Relicblade is much more fun.

I had fun with these on Saturday. Kromlech gnaws. See pic and vid.

Re your probing question, which goes to the heart of what the after school teacher at model airplane club told me at the age of 10 (“you are too much of a gross hopper bouncing between scales and projects”) yes there are some themes to these random postings and there are some viable forces. Basically I had one third painted orc and goblin, empire and chaos warrior forces for Warhammer 7th edition. Now these “thirds” are largely spruced up and each a viable force for Dragon Rampant and Saga which I have been playing. I’m slowly working up the remainder of those forces focusing on the fun models and not the rank and file. I’ve also got a vast swathe of old school dwarfs of various manufacturers all heavy metal. I foolishly undercoated them silver (bar the handgunners and berserkers) and worry I have ruined them but will at some point focus on enough for say Mantic Vanguard and use them unpainted for KoW as all square based. I have also after watching walking dead picked up loads of undead which I have used for KoW. Also I corralled the rest of my random proper 28mm ancients and fantasy into a force for Oathmark which nobody locally is fussed about playing. But I live in hope. I also picked up and assembled 2000 point armies of ogor Mawtribes and Stormcasts eternals for AoS and played a few games between various lockdowns. Oh the horror. All the best.

Painting Kromlech gnaws as alternative giant squigs for Deadzone or Age of Sigmar or Reign in Hell?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:43:28 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2022, 09:42:22 PM »
You must tell me about “Relic”. Don’t remember it.
I have a big old force of Vaettir, and my friend got a good size force of Ridend to pit them against; sadly, we moved away from the project as at the time getting the models was taking aaaages, and then the company folded. Gamewise, if you're familiar with Warmachine and Malifaux in terms of rules-writing and gameplay style, this will no doubt feel familiar. It's pretty quick to play, though I don't recall the scenarios being super-exciting.
It looks like TT Combat bought it since, and they have it up on their site now (link). The rules and such are available as a free download, but it looks like most of the models have sold out since I last looked some two weeks ago - I'm sure they'll be back in stock again however.

I had some fun games of Malifaux 1E but each took like five hours and were too intense for me.
Yeah, and it depended on which crews were involved too; some were unbeatable, and some the opposite. The last edition I played was 2E, and I thought it was generally quite an improvement in terms of faffage, stress and overall balance (although as a mainly Perdita crew player, I missed all her tricks from 1E). I've yet to play 3E, but my friend advised me it was a notable improvement (and fewer unit cards) over 2E again, so I may have to look into it at some point. From 2E at least, the game is more about the scenario, and less about killing all the enemy models, and there are other non-combat ways to score points in any game too.

I had one third painted orc and goblin, empire and chaos warrior forces for Warhammer 7th edition. Now these “thirds” are largely spruced up and each a viable force for Dragon Rampant and Saga which I have been playing. I’m slowly working up the remainder of those forces focusing on the fun models and not the rank and file. I’ve also got a vast swathe of old school dwarfs of various manufacturers all heavy metal. I foolishly undercoated them silver (bar the handgunners and berserkers) and worry I have ruined them but will at some point focus on enough for say Mantic Vanguard and use them unpainted for KoW as all square based. I have also after watching walking dead picked up loads of undead which I have used for KoW.
How come spraying the dwarves silver was an error? Aren't the short bearded ones at least 40% armour anyway? :P You can still strip them by putting them in a clean jam jar with acetone in it, and a lid screwed on - after a week, everything (including glue, putty, any plastic, etc) will just slough off the models. If acetone is too scary/smelly for you, try Biostrip 20 (I think Wilko do their own cheaper version too) in a plastic takeaway tub with a lid - after a few days, the result is very similar to the acetone, but it's safe to use on hard styrene plastics too.

Also I corralled the rest of my random proper 28mm ancients and fantasy into a force for Oathmark which nobody locally is fussed about playing. But I live in hope.
Nice! You'll have to show them off when they're done. :) I think people may give it a go if have two forces to begin with and can rope/cajole somebody into trying it with you. Depending on how much you already have in 28mm, you could try doing it in 10/15mm scale instead; it could make it rather cheaper and easier to purchase/paint/transport - for 15mm just halve all ranges, and for 10mm just use centimetres instead of inches. ;)

I also picked up and assembled 2000 point armies of ogor Mawtribes and Stormcasts eternals for AoS and played a few games between various lockdowns. Oh the horror. All the best.
Cool! How did you like the game? :)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2022, 07:22:42 PM »
@gilbear thanks for the background on Relic. Looks that one might have died down. As frankly I think have Warmachine and Malifaux. I do have the 3rd edition rulebook and may try persuade someone to have a game after what you say. But my games schedule for the next couple of months involves various board games, kind of thing you see on Shut Up And Sit Down, Mantic Deadzone and Dracula’s America. On your query re my Oathmark stuff the reality must be that will not be painted for decades. And it’s more likely to see games of Dragon Rampant. I am increasingly minded to have a go at my many old and new school dwarfs for KoW as they look fantastic each to paint. The games of AoS were very fiddly and I had a crib sheet which helped. I absolutely piled into my opponents and demolished them in each game, even when I lessened the number of beasties in the second game. Fantastic, as I usually lose games due to tactical incompetence. So great to rely on “cheese”. For no particular reason other than it was raining and I didn’t want to get stuff out the garage I painted these mangler squigs staring at me on my desk:

Painting mangler squigs - old and new mixed up for Gloomspite Gitz and Games Workshop Age of Sigmar
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 07:26:18 PM by sir_shvantselot »