Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 01:56:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692914
  • Total Topics: 118494
  • Online Today: 522
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts  (Read 40495 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2022, 09:20:26 AM »
Very impressive looking squigs, well done!  :-*

I think the reality with many games is that very few are "big" enough for pickup games to be fairly easy. For all the others, you do need to have two armies (one to loan), and to persuade others to give it a go with you. It's just how things are/have been for a very long time unfortunately, and why Games Workshop games will always continue to be widely played even by people who don't enjoy them all that much.

As for Malifaux and Warmachine specifically, both of their current rulesets are available for free download along with all the cards, from their respective websites. If you have the models already, they should be easy enough to try out. :)

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2022, 04:33:03 PM »
On a side note, I played a bit of M1E and M2E. I feel that the game peaked when the second M2E book was released, getting all of the old models up to the new rules.

The core rules of M3E are more streamlined and tighter than ever. The game plays faster and smoother for the most part. That's the good news.

The bad news is that any semblance of balance is effectively gone. If you include alternate story Masters, there are 109 options now!

Granted, this is only a major issue for pick-up games or <shudder> tournament play, but it's good to keep in mind.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2022, 08:36:48 AM »
Read Sean Sutter’s Sludge rules the other day and reckon this is a great way to exhaust my random bits of plastic Oathmark and GW Empire and Warlord WW2 Brits bitz  left over plus finally something to do with my Warmachine bits. First test model…

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2022, 11:11:36 PM »
In response to BALM’s following comment: “I do love a good kitbash (your test chap looks great) and whilst I’m generally trying to focus on smaller scales with my current/future projects the artistic potential and range of suitable 28mm plastic kits now available mean getting your own ideas and imagination to the tabletop has never been easier.

I look forward to seeing your progress. How big is a sludge force generally?”

There is quite a lot of free info on Sludge here including army sizes: https://relicblade.com/sludge

And these pics from the page show what seems to be a standard army (albeit remember the line infantry are three to a base).

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2022, 11:57:31 PM »
Thank you Sir S that image is very informative (and a good idea to help newcomers visualise what is needed), not very many chaps really. I had looked at sludge and like the idea/setting. If I was still able to go to my local club I could see me being tempted as I love hacking up plastic models and creating new things. Hmm maybe I could dabble in a smaller scale………… no, no just live vicariously through others, I can’t start on another tangent  lol.

Andrew
BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2022, 10:21:34 PM »
great stuff in this thread.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2022, 07:53:55 PM »
Thank you Sir S that image is very informative (and a good idea to help newcomers visualise what is needed), not very many chaps really. I had looked at sludge and like the idea/setting. If I was still able to go to my local club I could see me being tempted as I love hacking up plastic models and creating new things. Hmm maybe I could dabble in a smaller scale………… no, no just live vicariously through others, I can’t start on another tangent  lol.

Andrew
BALM

Thanks for your lovely message Andrew. We all get as much joy from following the modelling exploits of others as our own. I’ve kept going with these Sludge efforts as I’ve realised I could make some use of my Khador Warmachine stuff, or at least some of it. My eyes were too knackered to paint this week so I had fun kitbashing with bits from the garage with no other purpose. Wonder if the last one is a bit silly. But that ogre never looked proper blood bowl and he’ll never be used for that purpose.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2022, 10:54:53 AM »
With thanks to BeneathaLeadMountain for his halberd ends and pennants check these out…

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2022, 12:57:04 PM »
Those Tam O'shanters are brilliant!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2022, 07:46:08 PM »
Love those, the tam o shanters are indeed great. I started on Sludge last summer, and have managed a couple of games so fat. It is a really fun system, bit different to what I am used to.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2022, 08:44:27 PM »
Looking great Sir S. I like composition, especially the little buckler like shields (are they GW skaven? or have I just been indoctrinated into seeing any triangular shields that way after 30+ yrs  lol) and like The Grumpy Gnome think the Tam’o’shanters are charming and add real character. Looking forwards to seeing them come together, get painted and take to the table.

BeneathALeadMountain

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2022, 12:08:37 PM »
Those Tam O'shanters are brilliant!

Thanks so much. I looked up Tam O’ Shanter and hadn’t realised it was a Burns poem. Thanks for responding my cultural horizons!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2022, 12:11:33 PM »
Love those, the tam o shanters are indeed great. I started on Sludge last summer, and have managed a couple of games so fat. It is a really fun system, bit different to what I am used to.

What are you used to? The system looks fun. The only thing I’ve done is not multi base miniatures because I don’t know if it will be an issue with other systems and it will be impossible to paint three miniatures on a 50mm base, as I tend to assemble and undercoat and then play some games and if I get into it over the years then go back to paint them.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2022, 12:16:26 PM »
Looking great Sir S. I like composition, especially the little buckler like shields (are they GW skaven? or have I just been indoctrinated into seeing any triangular shields that way after 30+ yrs  lol) and like The Grumpy Gnome think the Tam’o’shanters are charming and add real character. Looking forwards to seeing them come together, get painted and take to the table.

BeneathALeadMountain

So the triangular shields, as you say, are Skaven but my thinking was if I used round shields they would look too mediaeval and they are aimed to tie in, I hope, with my proposed theme of having Khador officers from Warmachine and the symbol broadly looks like a Skaven one and represents not Khador but the symbol of a mad fantasy White Flame/Red God type of religion/cult and shields’ shapes harken back to that. Just realised the Tommy banner is misaligned and actually I’ll use your other Fireforge penant.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 12:20:40 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2022, 01:06:33 PM »
What are you used to? The system looks fun. The only thing I’ve done is not multi base miniatures because I don’t know if it will be an issue with other systems and it will be impossible to paint three miniatures on a 50mm base, as I tend to assemble and undercoat and then play some games and if I get into it over the years then go back to paint them.

Partly the multibasing, but especially the gore and stress is different to games like SAGA where there is very little battlefield psychology.