Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690650
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts  (Read 40148 times)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Trying out Dragon Rampant
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2020, 09:51:37 PM »

I also heard of people that write down, on a sheet of paper, all the abilities they don't want to forget about, once they have composed their army/list, divided per phases in which they are relevant.
i.e. Hero Phase: General's ability 1, artefact 2, Unit A ability 3, etc.
Movement phase: Unit B special ability, Unit C special ability, etc.
And so on...

This was a fantastic suggestion and improved my next games (till lockdown). Have been going through garage making old stuff useful and am pulling together twenty years worth of dwarf stuff into a Kings of War army. A titan, a legion of clan dwarfs and a horde of elite dwarfs And of course two flame cannon. Lots more to come. Will I ever get it painted. Hell no. Will be spraying them silver mostly. Apparently rules are fun.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:58:47 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Re: Dwarfs for KoW
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2020, 11:45:06 PM »
That's a fun looking game.  :)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dwarfs for KoW
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2020, 10:22:47 AM »
My half term art project done. Not totally happy (they’re old miniatures and I messed up the white wolf pelts) but my Empire army has a heavy cavalry capability after a decade...

Knights of the White Wolf. But wolves look like flat cartoon bug bad wolf sketches.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:28:48 AM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sir_shvantselot’s Knights of the White Wolf
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »
Had a read of Oathmark and you’d be amazed how much stuff you have lying around that won’t get used for anything else. I even had the right bases lying around from Warhammer 7th edition. The Oathmark humans I only bought for the square shields for Saga Rus. Nobody round here will probably play but some will do Dragon Rampant. Hope I’ve put the giant base the right way round

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
I know I'm late but I really like your Knights of the white wolf, always good to see more empire cavalry.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2020, 06:31:32 PM »
I know I'm late but I really like your Knights of the white wolf, always good to see more empire cavalry.

That’s very kind. I wasn’t sure about how I did the skin but their armoured barding looks cooler than I thought coloured.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2020, 09:50:26 PM »
I keep telling myself I’ll pull my 7th edition Fantasy orcs into something useable for Erewon, Age of Magic or DR but never get round to it. Annoyingly I rebased the infantry only to have GW scrap normal orcs from AoS. But I thought I’d reglue these as would you believe superglue fails after a decade. Hopefully will get round to a slightly more modern paintjob over Xmas.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2020, 10:17:09 PM »
I’ve based my Foundry berserkers for Oathmark as these are surplus to Saga requirements and I don’t thin 25mm square bases prohibit them from other games like Erewon, AoM and DR. And they size up well with the Oathmark infantry. Also that giant Zealot miniatures dwarf stone thing looks like it could be a good giant for Oathmark. Not on 50x100mm base but 75mm which squares nicely against 3 25mm bases anyway.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2020, 10:37:04 PM »
The Foundry do indeed look like a good fit with the Oathmark

Hadn’t seen that Zealot model either...very interesting  :)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2020, 04:32:41 PM »
Continued pulling together these both Oathmark humans. They have certain old GW heads and other heads from other Northstar sets which had been sitting in the bits box and who have now finally found a purpose after some years. They go well together!

I also thought I’d assemble this Zealot Miniature‘s minotaur, who clearly is a Doombull hero.  I must say all the pieces went together brilliantly, though it is a bit of a delicate model and probably a bit above my modelling school…

Oathmark Human Infantry Kitbashing with Frostgrave & GW Heads
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 02:21:32 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2020, 04:52:38 PM »
This all looks fantastic. The Oathmark kitbashes are especially good.

I'd love to see a close up pic of the Minotaur, that looks like a really accomplished kitbash. Great stuff. :)
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2020, 06:29:39 PM »
This all looks fantastic. The Oathmark kitbashes are especially good.

I'd love to see a close up pic of the Minotaur, that looks like a really accomplished kitbash. Great stuff. :)

You are so kind but I must not misrepresent myself on the minotaur. It’s just a Zealot kit, albeit a very delicate one I thought. But here’s a pic showing truly zero to hero. These GW 1985 knights have sat in my “flog it/swap it” box for 25 years and presumably someone else’s before hand. Now one is the 14 year old Black Prince in a suite of Armour worth a Lamborghini on a command base for Dragon Rampant, leading a lot of Oathmark humans and old GW elves, ogres and giants. The other is a champion knight if roughly same size as the Oathmark stuff.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2020, 09:22:03 PM »
This kitbashing was super fun. I’ve had these plastic chaos marauders for about a decade. They always looked terrible. Heads too big. Weapons too big. No real details. I tried to flog them. No one wanted them. I tried to spruce them up with the newer marauder horse plastics but it didn’t do very much. The detail of those actually, particularly the faces, is a bit weak.

Then it occurred to me that they were on the right base size for both Oathmark and I thought I would see if I could spruce them up with the remaining Viking foundry shields that are too thick and Oathmark human bits and some awesomely intricately designed GW dwarf bits.

Initially, I thought it wasn’t working. Oathmark human heads are for like dummy peasant militia. Though they do look dark age Saxon a bit - linked to Scandi gods and design a bit. And then I thought hey, maybe they are some enormously tough, tall tribe akin to the ancient Germans or Scandinavians and as part of an Oathmark dwarf kingdom, they got kitted out by the dwarf King, kind of like the crazy mountain tribes get kitted out by the Lannisters in Game of Thrones. And actually, some of them work pretty well. I think for various  reasons I am getting the Frostgrave knight kit which has about 20 heads and some of them will be used to replace the less plausible ones and any remaining marauder plastic heads. A few Oathmark humans per pic for scale.

And on YouTube… Chaos Marauder Kitbashing
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:29:43 AM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
There are your guns sir!

I happened to have had two of this elector count miniature, and always had a plan to base one as a Saga general.

As part of my ongoing efforts to work through the lead and plastic mountain in the garage, and because my eyes are knackered from some heavy work, rather than doing any painting I have been assembling stuff that is just sitting there.

The focus has particularly been on miniatures that look like they are hopeless, as I’m increasingly realising each one you’re looking at costs between £1 and £5+ these days. But with so many cool plastic bits you can bring anything back from the dead. And now this bannerman with no hand and no right arm is waving a pistol round and pointing his elector account wildly at the enemy! I’m sure one day I will paint it…

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2020, 04:08:21 PM »
Nice job...he has a big hat, so he must be in charge  :D

Are you going to hide the join for the horses head with a bit of putty? Could always add a bit of horse armour to discreetly conceal it?