Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:12:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts  (Read 39620 times)

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: Trying out Dragon Rampant
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2019, 01:45:10 PM »
Dragon Rampant is great for getting old figures on the table.

I couldn't agree more.... that's what I use most of my Rackham models for... since i'm pretty sure i'm the only confrontation player for 100 miles being in east texas...
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2019, 02:06:35 PM »
Dragon Rampant is great for getting old figures on the table.

Also, great for justifying new purchases.  "Well, I can always use it in Dragon Rampant."  is a fine excuse.  :)

Used to do that with Supersystem all the time.  Random weird sculpt that I'm lusting after?  Yeah, I can stat that for superhero gaming.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »
Great game of Age of Sigmar.  2000 points a side. My old Empire miniatures played by a mate allied to the new Ossiarch forces. Versus me with Slaves to Darkness allied to the new Nighthaunts.

No real idea of what the Ossiarchs or Nighthaunts involve and they faced off mostly against each other.

So I’ll describe the Empire versus Slaves to Darkness at my end. The Empire created a bubble of spearmen,  greatswords and Ossiarch spearmen protecting their wizard, steam tank, general behind with a hellstorm battery on the hill.

The general gave some amazing defensive buff to the spearmen and  greatswords.

Fearing being shot to pieces, I charged my marauder horse into the Ossiarchs to get to the squishy hellstorm battery behind but lost 80% fatalities - and when my ally’s hero killed the rest of them my horse failed to kill enough of the crew to make a difference anyway.

I don’t think the Empire artillery did any damage the whole game anyway.

But one of the dumbest things I did was to charge my 5 Chaos Knights into the wall of 20 spears, buffed by the general and with loads of their own defensive buffs for exactly this kind of scenario. The knights eventually got worn down to nothing leaving 14 spears. The second dumbest thing was to charge my Chaos Lord on foot into the spears and leave him within 3 inches of 10 Greatswords, who piled in and were super hard, and killed him. Amongst the many rules I forgot was you get a Chaos spawn if that happens.

I also never noticed the best spell my Sorceror Lord should have been using to buff my forces and fired arcane bolts or placed mystic shields instead. The Chaos upgrades weren’t on the warscrolls so I forgot about those too. I foolishly summoned the Balewind Vortex as an endless spell as my Sorceror’s first spell, leaving him eventually stranded a foot behind my charged forces, though the defensive piece of scenery made him pretty tough to kill or stop casting (the wrong spells).

The third dumbest thing was to charge my giant into that new fantastic looking 300 Xerxes Ossiarch model, and letting my ally say I could wait for his more tactically important combats first. So Xerxes just murdered him without him doing any damage.

After I was mostly destroyed, the steam tank and Empire general charged my Nighthaunt ally but seemed to struggle to do damage. I remember the steam tanks hitting much harder back in the day.

Amazingly my side lost only 8-6 as my ally fared better than me. I did have pride watching my ginger giant for the Empire wade into some spectral creatures and smash them for three turns, only to be overwhelmed. He was older than half the people playing....!

I will play again; just need to work out making sure I use all my buffs and choose more carefully what combats I get pulled into. Also might use an allied hellcannon instead of allied giant.

Offline Launets

• Assistant
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »
Fantastic figures!
Looks like lots of fun games as well

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
Re: Trying out Dragon Rampant & AoS
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2019, 12:37:35 AM »
Looks great! Good to see some nicely painted armies. I love the old marauder giant. I have one and I've only used him in a hadfull of games in the last 24 years or so. I must find more use for him in future :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2019, 10:46:11 PM »
Great looking game.

:)

Offline Rusty72

• Assistant
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2019, 07:26:50 PM »
Great thread. I also have been reusing my old fantasy battle stuff to play Dragon Rampant, mainly with my son, but I have also managed to get a couple of guys interested. Nice to see older minis getting a run out.

Hoping to play Warlords of Erehwon and AOS in Jan.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2019, 08:02:19 PM »
A game of Dragon Rampant where everyone seemed to have fun except me - though I enjoyed the others having fun.

We chose the scenario where there are ten gems scattered across the battlefield and you have to collect as many as possible. A three way between a goblin army (Oathmark + some very old unknown minis) with huge Mantic giant; GW Empire; and GW Slaves to Darkness.

The Empire light riders grabbed the gems on their side of the river and then pelted it over the bridge to my control area and grabbed all of mine...because I rolled fours and then a three for my first rolls of the first four turns of the game (which lasted around seven turns), and failed to get anyone even moving.

The Empire light riders did a fantastic job of grabbing stuff and evading with parting shots whenever charged by anyone - until they were picked off by shooting having gone too far into goblin territory.

There was a Mexican standoff between the Ginger Giant + light spears versus Mantic Giant + heavy infantry on the other for a bit as nobody wanted to charge first having gone shield wall. But the Mantic Giant lost his nerve after only a few wounds in combat and fled in disgust at it all.

My Chaos eventually moved a bit, and could not reach the action on  the other side of the table. So decided to kill what they could find
just for giggles. My giant tried to catch the light riders but whenever he charged and took a wound from parting shots as they evaded, he failed his courage check and stayed back to nurse his wounds.

My light horse tried to ride over the bridge to storm into the hellblaster warmachine on the other side (heavy missiles) but spent two turns  standing on the bridge failing to make a 7+ charge, in which time they got shot at twice and eventually panicked and fled.

My heavy horse wizardling (sorceror on flying disc) managed to make contact with some goblin scouts and make them flee but, unsupported, got whittled down in combat with some goblin light missiles.

We called it after two hours in which the Empire has five gems, the Goblins 3 and I had 1.

The Empire player, experienced generally as a gamer but his first game of Dragon Rampant said he’d had a blast. As a passionate Blood Bowl player he liked the core mechanic but noted it is unforgiving compared to BB where at least you can move without rolling dice and forfeiting the remainder of your turn if you fail.

I didn’t have a blast but also found it funny as all at the store enjoyed watching me fail to roll a five multiple times. And I used lots of bad language.

The real story here may be that I got rinsed by a first time this player of the game.

Beer and pretzels it was!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:04:45 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
Looks great! Good to see some nicely painted armies. I love the old marauder giant. I have one and I've only used him in a hadfull of games in the last 24 years or so. I must find more use for him in future :)

So many uses! Who doesn’t love a ginger giant?

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »

Hoping to play Warlords of Erehwon and AOS in Jan.

You must post how WoE goes as I am intimidated by the size of the book and how there were apparently lots of mistakes in it.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »
I’ve been thinking that my Khador Warmachine army, partially painted, has been sitting in dust for a few years. I don’t have an opponent and even if I did you need like a degree in Warmachine to play. You’d need to practice a faction dozens of times to get the hang of it. I would anyway.

So, is this a viable Dragon Rampant list...?

Butcher of Khador (elite foot + wizardling: befuddle thee; stronger shields; power bolt) - 8 points

Kodiak warmachine (bellicose foot + terrifically shiny armour) - 6 points

Devastator warmachine (elite foot + missiles [for grenade launchers] - 8 points

4 men o war (reduced count unit) (elite foot + missiles [for shield cannon] - 8 points

3 widowmakers (scouts) (reduced count unit) - 2 points

32 points

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 08:06:29 PM »
Played a 2000 point Age of Sigmar game of my Empire (now Cities of Sigmar) versus some kind of undead. Fantastic visually as mostly the miniatures were all painted.

Not much of a game though. Empire  set up around half way into the field (stupidly). Undead the same (they were feeling lucky). Undead got first turn, charged and piled into the Empire before they could initiate their various anti charge buffs. The undead ground down around a third of the Empire troops; the Empire ground down around a quarter of the Undead. At the end of the first turn, most of the Undead losses returned magically somehow to their units. The Undead got initiative in the second turn, again, and charged every Empire unit they hadn’t managed to in turn one. They ground down most of the rest of the Empire. The Empire caused some damage, which mostly promptly returned to life.

There were some kind of sorcerers behind the Undead chaff crating all manner of buffs, including some kind of double save, which muted most Empire hits that got through, and the Empire could not get to the sorcerers in time before the Empire was mostly depleted. And the Undead were immune to the rend (armour penetration) of the various nasty Empire weapons.

All a bit like the Game of Thrones scene where the Dothraki and charge into the Night King’s undead hordes and get engulfed in the darkness.

This did remind me of 7th edition where you mostly lost your game at army list stage. Next time I will bring a mage on griffon to go hunt the sorcerers behind the battle line. And not be a muppet and set up too far forward; will set up at the very edge of the table.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2020, 08:09:02 PM »
Show us a pic...

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2020, 10:01:11 PM »
Fantastic looking armies & games.

Gabbi

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2020, 02:49:12 PM »
I also never noticed the best spell my Sorceror Lord should have been using to buff my forces and fired arcane bolts or placed mystic shields instead. The Chaos upgrades weren’t on the warscrolls so I forgot about those too.

TGA, one of the largest communities devoted to AoS offers downloadable cards (in PDF format) for things such as general abilities and artefacts. Maybe these could help you not forgetting them?
https://www.tga.community
https://www.tga.community/files/
I believe you need to register to be able to download the files.

I also heard of people that write down, on a sheet of paper, all the abilities they don't want to forget about, once they have composed their army/list, divided per phases in which they are relevant.
i.e. Hero Phase: General's ability 1, artefact 2, Unit A ability 3, etc.
Movement phase: Unit B special ability, Unit C special ability, etc.
And so on...

Also, if you struggle with remembering things, I would suggest to play smaller games. I find that AoS is very fun at 1000pts.
You could play a few games to get used to your models stats and abilities, then gradually increase the points limit, if you prefer bigger games.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:58:24 PM by Gabbi »