Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:32:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Armenians defending Baku  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
Armenians defending Baku
« on: May 29, 2018, 02:28:48 PM »
I came across this link which apparently shows a group of Armenians being drilled to defend Baku from the Turks in 1918.

http://www.visions.az/uploads/gallery/indexable/azerbaijan_at_ww/thumb/ww_1.jpg

It surprised me to see most of them in uniform, presumably ex-Imperial army rig, as I had assumed the Armenians in Baku (and the Azeris for that matter) were armed civilians rather than an organised militia.

The site has some other photos I hadn't seen before, including Dunsterforce infantry passing a railway station and artillery in action.  Worth a look if it is new to you too:

http://www.visions.az/en/news/686/ecbd8399/#s1=5

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
Re: Armenians defending Baku
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
Thanks Cuprum, some very interesting information there.

Loose shirt, baggy trousers, puttees and cap, with minimal equipment. I am wondering what the closest fit would be in 28mm. 

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 01:18:33 PM »
Reds figures Copplestone are perfect (in caps). White will have to cut the shoulder strap.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:51:11 PM by cuprum »

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 01:47:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing those pix. A friend and I ran a Battle of Baku game some years ago at a local show. We used copplestone figs British and Russians and various matchbox diecast cars.

I've been to Baku several times (in fact im due to go again in June too). On my first trip 20or so years ago the oil fields still looked pretty much the same as they do in the pics. The Derricks were not enclosed and not quite so close together but there were almost as many and most had oil filled berms beneath them. Thankfully things have been tidied up somewhat since then.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »
Reds figures Copplestone are perfect (in caps)

Thanks Cuprum!  It sounds as though my existing Bolos can double as Armenians (and presumably Azeri Tatars if needed) without the need to buy more figures  :D

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »
This is true. Moreover, the real Bolshevik units also took part in the defense of Baku from the Turks..

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »
Unfortunately I still have to buy Turks, and quite a lot of them!

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »
Here's what I have in my upcoming Dunsterforce 16-scenario book.

Since no miniature company makes Jangali tribesmen figures, a mix of some Russian infantry wearing either a shorter or pillbox-style fez made of lamb’s wool (not a turban) or flat cap for headgear, with a few Afghan figures (Second or Third Afghan War, but only armed with rifles, not jezails), would work nicely.

For Persian levies, although often considered “tribesmen”, the term is a bit misleading. From contemporary photographs, it appears that the Persian tribesmen and the Armenians and other levies were often uniformed in jacket and pants, and rifle-armed. However, headgear seems to be the one item that varied, from a form of soft-cap, to a fur (lamb's wool) or standard fabric fez. Therefore, Russian Civil War figures wearing caps or fezzes, in khaki or non-Russian green uniforms (some with mixed colors of pants) would fit perfectly to give an irregular appearance. For 28mm, the Turks from Woodbine Miniatures (with multi head variants) and Empress figures would give you the right look.

For Persian civilians, a mix of Arabic rifle-armed (not jezail) figures are most suitable and will achieve an irregular tribal appearance.

The Kurdish tribesmen were similar in appearance to Persians, wearing jackets (from plain to embroidered or stripped), sometimes with longer robes, and loose-fitting pants (plain or striped), and a waist sash. Headwear was chiefly a colored and/or stripped turban. In a pinch, Afghan/Pathan tribal horse would be suitable, possibly mixing in a few Arabs and Russian Cossacks in long coats.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bob

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
Here's what I have in my upcoming Dunsterforce 16-scenario book.

When do you expect the book to be out. Thanks

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 07:00:24 AM »
Cracking info Bob!  Thanks

Steve
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 02:36:56 PM »
Everything is written and edited. But, my own club in the US still has two scenarios to playtest, and in the UK the playtest club has a bit more to playtest and provide feedback. Then if need be, I tweak things. Thus, I expect possibly a late Summer or probably closer to early Fall to have the last edits finished. Then layout and printing. My outside guess, is late Fall or early Winter it will be available.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »
My outside guess, is late Fall or early Winter it will be available.
Perfect, just in time for Christmas 😊

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 09:58:30 AM »
Bob - thanks very much for the info, which is much appreciated.  I hadn't realised that Woodbine Turks with head options could pass for Armenians, so will have to buy a pack or two and give it a try.

I am sure I am not alone in wishing that Mr Copplestone would add to his wonderful BoB range, as there are a number of gaps to fill and it would avoid the need to mix and match with other manufacturers.  Things I would like to see include Indian cavalry, British artillery, Basmachis, Bokharan regulars, Austrian PoWs etc. I wonder what he is up to now, and if crowd funding might be feasible?

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to your Dunsterforce scenario book, and hope we will not have to wait until winter to buy it!

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
 I agree there are some gaps in the Copplestone BOB range - mounted White Russian mounted officers for one - I know I could add epaulettes to the Reds but I like variety in my units - could do with more Tibetans as well.