Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:46:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Middle Earth - UD 15/3 two units of Rangers finished  (Read 28824 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Middle Earth - UD 4/9 more Dwarves and a game
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2021, 10:04:03 PM »
What a great collection. You've done a great job bringing a number of ranges together with your painting.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2021, 09:09:02 AM »
Thanks Steve - I think I’ve got about 120 dwarves know with only 23 panted….. lots more to do.  :D

NB: sometimes, when viewing the thread, odd pictures don’t show, just their frame. Does. By one else get this?
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2021, 10:34:41 PM »
What's planned next for your army?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2021, 10:59:10 PM »
Thanks Steve - I think I’ve got about 120 dwarves know with only 23 panted….. lots more to do.  :D

NB: sometimes, when viewing the thread, odd pictures don’t show, just their frame. Does. By one else get this?

Yes. I do. Mainly on my iPad for some reason. Fine on my iPhone and desktop. The miracle of IT  ::)

Marvellous dwarf host you are building Steve  :)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2021, 11:02:56 PM »
Thanks chaps.

As to what’s next, I’m presently painting 12 more heavy infantry and 24 heavy crossbows.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2021, 09:05:49 AM »
Nice work Steve,inspirational!
You know the funny swings and roundabouts; I’ve got a pile of Hasslefree Dwarves that Paul (excellent chap he is) gave me,that I believe originally came from you :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2021, 09:22:04 AM »
Nice work Steve,inspirational!
You know the funny swings and roundabouts; I’ve got a pile of Hasslefree Dwarves that Paul (excellent chap he is) gave me,that I believe originally came from you :)

😂

Yeah about 6-7 years ago I started a HF ‘woodland’ dwarf project and did a bunch of conversions that I eventually lost interest in and sold on. My problem then wasn’t the dwarves - they’re lovely - but a lack of direction sans rules.

The enjoyable Rampant rules provide unit structures at a size that encourage me to take the unit to completion - I’m very much a unit painter, not at all a single mini painter. Hurrah for Rampant!!!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2021, 09:35:04 AM »
I’ll have to have a look(at Rampant),as I have a backlog… lol

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2021, 09:37:56 AM »
We had a fun game of it last week. Though similar to Lion Rampant, played in the right spirit it really does have the fantasy atmosphere.

Though Captain Bloods Haradim and Orcs crushed my Dwarves.  :'(

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Middle Earth - UD 27/9 campaign map
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »
While I’m working my way through painting another 36 dwarves, I’ve completed my Campaign Map

The island of Middelland:

With a bit of fluff:

My Middle Earth games aren’t set in the land described by Tolkien. Rather, they occur on an adjacent island - one that Tolkien didn’t get round to describing in his stories  ;) - where many of Tolkien’s races are co-located.

The east of the island is controlled by Gondor, whose people fish the sea, raise livestock, and grow cereals. Nortown is the base of food production, with its produce being transported to the deep water port at Londor for shipping to Gondorian settlements elsewhere. Fartower - a bleak and lonely posting for any soldier - guards the fields and roads. The plains of The Great Grazing - an area rich with luxuriant grasslands - is less well guarded, and the drovers and shepherds who herd the animals that are fattened there, fear the malevolence of Uruk Hai and the rumour of dragons.

Though within their domain, the Gondorians avoid the Fated Forest, as it is populated by cut-throats and bandits, while pirates are reputed to operate from its eastern shore. Further south, The Wild is literally that, largely inaccessible to humans, it is the domain of woodland spirits.

The west of Middelland is untamed, with stories of dragons in the mountains and kraken in the sea. There is an Uruk Hai settlement - as if such a civilised word can be used to describe such a dark place - in the mountains at Uruk Mal Votar (Which translates from the Black Speech as ‘Orc Mountain Home’). The Uruk Hai descend from the mountains, raiding the grazing lands for livestock and the farming lands for human meat and slaves.

The orcs fear the dwarves who have made Khaz A Zan-Drakk (the Dwarvish of ‘the Hall of the Red Dragon’) their home. Though not particularly deep underground, the dwarven hold - the karak - is fronted by a fortified gatehouse.  What was once just a simple cave is now a Great Hall in which much beer is drunk and great stories are told. The cave had been the nest of the Red Dragon, famously killed by Hekkuth Greataxe, the fearsome Lord of the clan.

The Red Dragon was killed for many reasons, for the cave that could provide comfort and security, for the rich treasure that was the dragon’s nest, for the veins rich with ore that it gave access to, but mostly for revenge. The Red Dragon had preyed on the clan as it moved deeper into the mountains, escaping pursuit by the Uruk Hai. The Dragon had caught the clan in the open, burning and feasting on many until Hekkuth had entered the cave alone to put an end to its reign of terror. With his reputation as a dragon killer, the Uruk Hai now fear Hekkuth and all that follow him. Like all dwarves, the clan holds fast to its grudges. And if they had not been escaping the Uruk onslaught, they would not have been in the open, and the clan would not have been easy prey for the Red Dragon. The dwarven losses to the Red Dragon were the fault of the Uruk, and so Uruks  will pay forever.

The dwarves of Khaz A Zan-Drakk do not live under the sky - do not  live topside - but their shield markings do represent the sun-drenched sky above the mountains. It is their statement that they do not fear being above the earth, as they have defeated the great evil - the Red Dragon - and are now feared by the Uruk Hai, both of whom had caught them in the open.
Within the Shorewide Forest are isolated settlements of Rangers - men and women of the Dúnedain - who though seeking a simple life, see it as their solemn duty to keep the evils of Middelland in check.

The Wash of the Dead is a malevolent place. An army of humans is reputed to have come ashore there, but while crossing its miles of sand it was caught by the fast tide, their armour and weapons pinning them beneath the waves so that they all drowned. Their spirits are reputed to roam the sands, especially when the sea mist crawls ashore.

Likewise Skeleton Bay, from where few ships have returned, but whose surviving crews tell tales of walking dead.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2021, 12:51:00 PM »
Excellent backstory ;D

Will look forward to adventuring there :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »
Excellent backstory ;D

Will look forward to adventuring there :)

Will look forward to having you  :D

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2021, 10:25:00 PM »
Really nice idea to take the components of the Tolkien settings and create your own gaming campaign.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2021, 10:54:30 PM »
Thanks - I don’t know the books well enough so thought I’d diverge  :D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2021, 08:18:28 AM »