Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:57:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Problems with Copplestone Red cavalry  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
Problems with Copplestone Red cavalry
« on: June 07, 2018, 11:00:26 AM »
I am working on two packets of Copplestone Red cavalry in greatcoats, which I thought would make a nice, and quick addition to my Bolo forces.  Unfortunately, I am having problems getting the blighters to sit properly on their damned horses.  Grrrrr >:(

The issue is with the saddle roll which should lay over the horses rump behind the rider.  However, it is attached to the rider and the natural position putting horse and man together sees the saddle roll levitating way above the horse's back.  Tilting the rider backwards, so that the roll touches the horse, leaves the figure leaning back in the saddle with his feet thrust far forward (which doesn't look right with all that aggressive sabre waving going on) as well as creating a significant gap between nether regions and horse at the front.

I toyed with the idea of adding Green Stuff under the saddle roll, but the gap is so large it would look as though the rider had taken a suitcase with him on campaign.  I have also tried some gentle filing, between the rider's legs and flattening the raised part of the saddle at the back,but it hasn't solved the problem.  I am reluctant to attempt more drastic surgery for fear of making things worse, and wondered how others have resolved the issue. 

This is fairly basic stuff I know, but my wife would tell you what a total duffer I would have been at solving visual puzzles if I had ever been on the Crystal Maze, and I would be grateful for any tips the more spatially aware can pass on please  :)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
Re: Problems with Copplestone Red cavalry
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
You can cut the roll from the rider and stick it with a separate piece.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 11:58:46 AM »
Thanks Cuprum, I wondered about that too!  But it came under the heading of "drastic surgery" so I thought I would see if others have done it first.

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »
Would Dremelling out under the whole saddle cloth help?  A replaceable coarse sanding wheel of the right diameter has done the job for me in the past.
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:27:04 AM »
Would Dremelling out under the whole saddle cloth help?  A replaceable coarse sanding wheel of the right diameter has done the job for me in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike.  I really must invest in a Dremell at some point  :D

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 11:13:47 PM »
Have you tried looking for the best fit between horses and riders? I know some of the riders fit better on different horses poses.

I only ask because you stated you are a total duffer at visual problems.

Please forgive me if you have. I meant it helpfully.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 08:54:41 AM »
Johnno's

Right often there is a better fit to one particular pose. If your not a confident tinkerer . Then you can't go fat wrong with going back to Marks product images on the website. The riders are more than likely to be on the best fit in those pictures.

It's may also help . The saddle is the only thing that is actually close to the horse the entire time. Everything else is strapped to the saddle and intended to move and flex. Once you get up to a trot ,and above things can start to bounce ,and at the gallop can look like they're about to take off.

It may help you get the right advice for the right issue .with a picture of your actual figure.

Ps. Aldi have started stocking a craft range including their own version of a dremell for £16.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 10:09:32 AM »
only ask because you stated you are a total duffer at visual problems.

Please forgive me if you have. I meant it helpfully.

I am, I know you did and no offence taken!  The suggestion was a good one, thank you, and should really have occurred to me  o_o

I took your advice, and matching rider to horse from the photos on the website reduced the number of problem figures to two out of six.  Definite progress, thank you!

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 10:14:20 AM »
It's may also help . The saddle is the only thing that is actually close to the horse the entire time. Everything else is strapped to the saddle and intended to move and flex. Once you get up to a trot ,and above things can start to bounce ,and at the gallop can look like they're about to take off.

More good advice, thank you! As I said in reply to Johnno, that really ought to have occurred to me, but it didn't  :(

Anyway, your encouraging point on the saddle roll bouncing when the horse is moving fast is a good one.  With a bit more filing, I have got the last two to the point where the gap is small enough to suggest a bit of a bounce, and am pressing on with painting. 

What a helpful lot you LAF chaps are  :D

And I will see if I can track down an ersatz Dremell as Aldi, thank you! 

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »
They may seem like a luxury, but the proper Dremel is worth the money.

I mostly use it for stuff round home -- it's a beauty for cutting metal. I even cleaned a really dirty stove with it recently.