Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:19:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help with Designing a Multi-Purpose City?  (Read 3396 times)

Offline ThorsHammer

• Assistant
Help with Designing a Multi-Purpose City?
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:16:52 PM »
Hi everyone! Fist post here.

I've wanted to do different city boards for some time. Thing is, I'd like to be able to game generic 28mm WWII city fights up to Post Apoc without having to buy four different cities. I'd like a decent looking city, but tactical aspects are more impotant than era specific architecture (within reason).

I'm looking for advice from you talented people out there to see if it's even feasable.

My thoughts started with Plasticville stuff. Might work for Zombies up to possibly Post Apoc, but it seems too 50's.

Then I branced out to Matakishi's Tea House. What a site  :o! I started tinkering with the urban tutorial. The buildings looked good, but I was hoping for more of a brick/stone type look for the city rather than the cork pattern. I looked into cladding the buildings with styrene brick sheets, but that shoots the price up to past what I'd like to spend on scratch built buildings.

Finally, I ran across some model railroad buildings with a more urban feel. Here's an example http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=MTH-3090228

I was thinking adding battle damage, rubble, sandbags, boarded up windows, barbed wire, and walled rear courtyards, I MIGHT be able to pull off anything from WWII, to Zombies, to Post Apoc.

I'd appreciate any input you guys may have. I'm sure I'm not the only person with this dilemma

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
Re: Help with Designing a Multi-Purpose City?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »
Matakishis "Simple site" is awesome indeed! I can offer no help but you've certainly come to the right place for talented people (I'm not including myself  lol)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 04:58:14 PM »
You could etch brickwork into the cork, I'd have thought?

Or if you're using carboard, etch in brickwork using a ballpoint pen - make up a bunch of ruined bits in the old 'take a bit of card; fold it three times; cut in some windows' style, add some accesories that can be romoved (sandbags etc) and you should have a nice versatile set of city terrain. It's pretty much what I was planning to do, until I hit a massive procrastination streak on terrain building...

Also: Matakishi=like unto a god. The Teahouse is a great resource, even if only for stealing bits of inspiration...

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:26:28 PM »
If you are looking to build your own buildings then Faller do an imprinted brickwork and stonework sections of blue foam in various thicknesses
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline ThorsHammer

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »
That looks awsome. How's it hold up? I might go that way for ruins.