Forum > Age of Myths, Gods and Empires

Ancient Greek Banners/Standards?

<< < (2/6) > >>

armchairgeneral:
I believe Greek heralds carried a sort of standard as a badge of office which some have incorporated into a command base. Might be worth looking into?

Argonor:
Thanks for the suggestions - I shall have a look around for those heralds.

Musicians sadly are not an option, as they have a different role in the games I play, and the sacrifice idea is nice for big battles, but I also intend to use my Greeks for 1:1 skirmishes, and I think it would be a bit much of a demand on the suspension of belief to move such a scene around.

DintheDin:

--- Quote from: armchairgeneral on June 16, 2018, 05:25:58 PM ---I believe Greek heralds carried a sort of standard as a badge of office which some have incorporated into a command base. Might be worth looking into?

--- End quote ---

Greek heralds, κήρυκες, were considered sacred persons and were respected by both belligerent sides. Their sign of power was a special staff, the κηρύκειον.
Here, the finial of this staff.

Argonor:
That is interesting, thank you!

DintheDin:
I'm afraid I'm leaving you with the impression that the herald could be a person relaying messages to other parts of the same army during battle. His job was to deliver a message to the enemy city. So, his function during the heat of an hoplite battle is irrelevant.
About the strategos now: The strategoi were leading their hoplites from the front, being one equal of them. So, I deem that their ability to relay messages during battle was limited. Their order would be probably transmitted from mouth to mouth along the line.
Besides this, the hoplite phalanx strategic plan was quite simple: Forward, in close order and crush the enemy with othismos.
https://sites.psu.edu/thehopliteexperience/the-othismos/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version