Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What should be added to the Copplestone range?  (Read 24226 times)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
Re: What should be added to the Copplestone range?
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 12:03:02 PM »
Some very good suggestions here chaps, and thanks very much for your ideas.  Realistically, there is probably no chance of them all seeing the light of day, but hopefully Nick will be able to persuade Mr Copplestone that there is life in the range yet and we will get something new at least!

Basmachis (mounted and on foot) look to be the front runner at the moment, and I have to say that would be my top choice too if I had to pick one only. Indian cavalry, British artillery, Turkish cavalry, Poles and Japanese seem to be popular too. I think Johnno's idea of generic figures in loose trousers and tunics with separate heads is an excellent one, and possibly the best way of getting maximum bangs for bucks from a modest expansion of the range.

More interest shown can only help, so please keep the suggestions coming while we wait for an update from Nick.

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
Persians, as already noted, and some more Tibetans. As we seem to also be mentioning other ranges then I'd also like some Western Sudanese, the Knights of the Savanah, for Darkest Africa, and the long awaited Romans for Barbarica  :P
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 05:30:20 PM »
More Inuit for the Polar Exploration range including earlier versions with Muskets. Throw in some British Explorers al la The Terror and we will be set!

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2018, 06:06:29 PM »
Poles aren't really necessary. Very few of the army at the Battle of Warsaw were wearing Polish uniforms. My Poles are Poznanians, so Germans without backpacks and not so many helmets (albeit 15mm).

Someone producing the square-brimmed caps by themselves would be quite helpful though, because they did like those.

When I wanted Peter Pig to make certain extras for me I offered to stump up and buy a whole pile of them. I think I bought 20 odd packs of standard bearers or something stupid like that.

Offline The Dalai

• Assistant
  • The Dalai Soapy
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2018, 07:55:15 PM »
I would really like to see some Tibetans additions.  Monk variants - armed and dangerous.  Leader figures and perhaps some artillery.  Mongol variants as well.
Member of the League of Extraordinary Kriegspielers

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 09:33:53 PM »
Maybe a pack of Chinese personalities seeing as we already have 2 gun Cohen but he is lacking a Sun yat sen to guard, and a chiang kai shek could be useful for ww2 gaming. some KMT troops could be useful as well to battle the existing warlord troops.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2018, 03:45:50 AM »
I sent a msg to Nick but seeing as we are just saying here, zanzibari command/egyptian troops, more men in fezzes in general!

Shanghai police would be another good choice.

Offline Nogbad

• Assistant
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2018, 03:06:22 AM »
Please, no more people with pith helmets and knobbly knees! There's quite enough British and Empire models out there in lead land already. I think I'd say the same for Russians, too, (Cossack infantry in cherkeska might pass muster but even that can be found, at the excellent Siberia Miniatures) and I think Mark C has done enough Chinese.
For me, what was always so brilliant about the Back of Beyond range was its exoticness -  Tibetans, Mongolians, Chahar Mongolians. I also think they're by and large the best models in the range. So please, he's only going to consider doing a few new troops if any,  I suspect, so let it be the sort of chaps that nobody else will ever dream of making. Fighting Lamas, some more Ngoloks, regular Tibetan infantry, dismounted Mongolians. Perfect

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2018, 09:16:01 PM »
A little outside the topic.
For those in the uniforms of Polish army 1917-1921,I will suggest investing in the book "Żołnierz polski ubiór uzbrojenie 1832-1939". It is published by the Polish Defense and not for sale normally, but somehow it seems that people with connections are selling out on the Polish site Allegro at prices between 70 -100 zloty.
The text is relatively short, but the many plates are worth the money.
Normally the person selling is able to provide several copies of the book and so it is possible to save on postage, which is not cheap from Poland.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2018, 10:30:27 AM »
Since I'm going to be in Poland soonish, where would I get a copy? I'm happy to get multiple copies.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
More Chinese, can't beat Copplestones's Chinese in my eyes so I'd love to expand my collection with more toys

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
My idea of the BoB area extends to Manchuria and to the "ДВР" Far Eastern Republic (Eastern Siberia), so I'll support the idea of Japanese troops, in winter clothing (examples: Osprey MAA 305 picture on page 39).

We also need civilians; and idle soldiers in casual poses (not unit-builder-minded).

Peculiar characters, and other unusual characters (Buryat scouts etc) will always be a good idea.

And (although he died some years before WW1) a Dersu Uzala could be useful too.  :)

Offline SaltyWendigo

• Assistant
    • Den of the Wendigo
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2018, 05:05:10 PM »
Please, no more people with pith helmets and knobbly knees! There's quite enough British and Empire models out there in lead land already. I think I'd say the same for Russians, too, (Cossack infantry in cherkeska might pass muster but even that can be found, at the excellent Siberia Miniatures) and I think Mark C has done enough Chinese.
For me, what was always so brilliant about the Back of Beyond range was its exoticness -  Tibetans, Mongolians, Chahar Mongolians. I also think they're by and large the best models in the range. So please, he's only going to consider doing a few new troops if any,  I suspect, so let it be the sort of chaps that nobody else will ever dream of making. Fighting Lamas, some more Ngoloks, regular Tibetan infantry, dismounted Mongolians. Perfect

This sums up my initial thoughts on what should be next in the BoB range, on a second option I fully agree with FramFramson aswell:

I've been badgering nick to ask about Copplestone head sprues, male and female. I'd kill for some of those. I also expect they'd sell very well and that he could knock some out quite quickly as compared to a full sculpt. Among other things (such as just plain liking his sculpts), I really, REALLY appreciate Copplestone's extremely painter-friendly method of sculpting eyes and would love to be able to use that to advantage on a wider range of figures.

Failing that, I'd just like to see more women sculpts for any genre, though BoB would present some interesting possibilities: A female partisans pack? Bolshevik women's brigade foot soldiers to go with the Heroines set? A mixed-gender BoB civvies pack?

He does women very well and with as much personality as he puts into men, but so much less often!   

It's all up to Mr. Copplestone apparently - whatever tickles his fancy - but one might hope something in there would catch his interest.

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2018, 05:11:26 PM »
Hi Mark
Allegro is a Polish auction-site like e-bay, where you can find a large section with military literature, both old and new books.
Try looking here
https://allegro.pl/kategoria/militaria-literatura-3724?order=pd
if interested in contemporary photos, look here
https://allegro.pl/kategoria/polska-wp-do-1939-14592?order=pd

I do not know, where you is going in Poland, but of course best if you can find a seller in same city, even if local postage is not so bad.

I can give you the mail-address on him, I bought my copies from, but I do not know, where he lives. He certainly had connection to Polish military circles and such societies.
Or you can get my last address, which is in Warsaw and from whom I bought some military history books. He ran an antiquary and spoke and wrote good English. (he was nice to deal with, certainly not always the case with Poles)

First I would go on Allegro and other sites and find, which books you want to get hold of, after that make an arrangement with someone (f.ex. seller number 2) to collect all the books for an agreed sum.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2018, 05:02:35 AM »

Yes! Characters! Historical personalities! Odd obscure troops! Stuff that makes use of all the possibilities of the wild and crazy world of BoB.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:12:26 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.