Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:54:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What should be added to the Copplestone range?  (Read 24451 times)

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
Re: What should be added to the Copplestone range?
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2018, 10:04:10 AM »
By the by Nick, was there any rumbling about Mark is interested in doing after he's done the current round of puttering around in Africa?

Er, Nick, denizens of a crimson planet? P.A.B.D. I say!
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »
Saw these on a russian website more Whites but for the Northern theatre

http://savinkoffgg.blogspot.com/

If you go into the older posts you will see that STP have some Reds in winter clothing upcoming - I have some of the STP Whites they are slightly larger than the Copplestones but they are beautifully detailed in resin

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
Nice minis on that Russian site.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2018, 03:58:26 PM »
I'm just looking forward to getting the African figures, and not looking too far ahead  lol

I was chatting about the figures he's making and what armies they'd cover in Death in the Dark Continent. These are the ones:

The Hausa-Fulani Emirates
Bornu
Bagirmi
Wadai and Darfur

but first they'll be a small range of Shilluk (who currently appear in the generic Villagers list, though I think they deserve better) and maybe a pack or two of Dinka warriors.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2018, 06:15:48 PM »
I looked up each of these people and I am impressed!

This will be an excellent range.

Are there any publications that Mark is using as references?  It would be fun to read up on these various peoples.

Also, do we know if they will be pre- or post-firearm era?

Or a mix, 1920s-1930s, like BoB?

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2018, 07:03:45 PM »
Mark said he's been researching these for a long time, and has uncovered some stuff that isn't common knowledge of these peoples.

It'll be 1870-1899. Knowing the conservative nature of that part of the world, I suspect dress style hasn't changed for a very long time, and I bet you could use them without any difficulty into the 20th Century, probably upto where AK47s become prolific!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2018, 07:14:10 PM »
It'll be 1870-1899. Knowing the conservative nature of that part of the world, I suspect dress style hasn't changed for a very long time, and I bet you could use them without any difficulty into the 20th Century, probably upto where AK47s become prolific!
Yep. And even after, if you mix them with moderns or do a little converting.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2018, 09:16:17 PM »
Mark said he's been researching these for a long time, and has uncovered some stuff that isn't common knowledge of these peoples.

We have friends, neighbors, colleagues and relatives from some of those regions.  I'd be curious to know their thoughts on Mark's interpretation. 

Here, these folks dress like anyone else, but with a bit more flare and color, which is pretty cool.

(I'm in Silicon Valley, by the way.)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2018, 10:05:35 PM »
Interesting news!

Finally some African Knights! (were there not a pair of these on sale a few years back - where those by Copplestone?)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:27:02 AM by traveller »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2018, 08:21:55 AM »
No, those two knights weren't Copplestone. They belong to Kev Dallimore, but I'm not sure who made them for him.

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2018, 04:55:17 PM »
At last. The DitDC figures that I really want!!  ;D Nothing against the Azande and Naval figures that I already have, but I've been wanting to get some decent Western Sudanese for over 11 years now. Lets hope they're not too far away.

I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2018, 04:58:50 PM »
I don't get what you mean ErikB.  I wasn't suggesting the people of that region dress like the 1870s now, but I suspect there wasn't much difference between dress in 1890 and 1920. My AK47 comment was to suggest that Copplestone's figures probably won't do post WW2.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2018, 06:31:18 PM »
I don't get what you mean ErikB.  I wasn't suggesting the people of that region dress like the 1870s now, but I suspect there wasn't much difference between dress in 1890 and 1920. My AK47 comment was to suggest that Copplestone's figures probably won't do post WW2.

Sorry.  I meant that, since Mark is doing a bunch of research (presumably), I'll be interested in showing his minis to some of my colleagues/neighbors/etc. to see what they think.

I lived in the Alps long enough to figure out the different kinds of traditional and regional Tracht (e.g. Lederhosen), but all those African tribes look alike to me.  It is always great fun to get to learn about the figures I collect.  :-) 

I don't wargame, I collect history, and that's part of what I love about Mark's minis.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2018, 09:05:00 PM »
I get it. Yes, it'd be very interesting to find that out. I think folks take it as a real compliment when an 'outsider' shows an understanding and appreciation of their history and culture. Don't let us down Mark.  lol

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2018, 01:29:23 AM »
Interesting news!

Finally some African Knights! (were there not a pair of these on sale a few years back - where those by Copplestone?)
Irregular Miniatures do a savannah knight and an armoured Abyssinian Galla horseman.
You'll find them in the Colonial section: http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/indexes/25mmindex.htm
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin