Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:24:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691266
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Portuguese in India] Goa 1510 WIP (Update August 2021)  (Read 25741 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: [Portuguese in India] Goa 1510 WIP (Update December 30th 2019)
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2019, 09:33:38 PM »
Oh lord, I have only taken in the pictures on this page and I'm already drunk. Going to consume the rest of the thread now.

SO BEAUTIFEWL. Hic.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2019, 09:52:16 PM »
WOW stunning building :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
The details are amazing

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2019, 10:22:53 PM »
Absolutely amazing building.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2019, 10:40:45 PM »
What an amazing set of buildings - such elegant and clean builds. They hardly need painting (well apart from the calendar floors...)

You mention Irregular Wars as possible rules, and while I am a big fan of these rules they are really for small battles using mutlibased figures - I'm not sure they would really work great in such a complex urban environment. I'm envisaging some rules which allow heroic characters to run around (and up) the buildings fighting each other, rather than a unit based combat system.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2019, 01:36:28 AM »
Haven't checked in for a while - and I missed a thing or two, I did.  Superlatives fail here.  Though I must say you will need some proper figures for your 'booty call' portion of your games - hope someone makes appropriate figures, a nautch party seems quite appropriate given the setting.  That palace - and those fantastic balusters - and the fine window 'lacing' are truly startling to see in such a model. 

One essential question, are you waiting to paint all the buildings in one go?  Really look forward to seeing these buildings when painted. 

And now the less essential but perhaps insanity inducing question - any plans to do the Taj Mahal?  (and, yes, I know it is not in Goa for those who are going to try and spoil my fun!)  If there is modeler who can pull it off, I nominate Byblos for the head of the class! 

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2019, 12:05:44 PM »
I wish you great success in the upcoming year.  This is the most impressive project I have seen.  I am looking forward to seeing the project completed and hopefully one day sacking it.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2019, 01:25:29 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing the project completed and hopefully one day sacking it.

You will be welcome  lol

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2019, 04:10:58 PM »
I cant find the right words to describe my impression of what I saw. I need something more than "awsome" !
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:16:53 PM by miltiades »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2019, 04:45:13 PM »
Love what you have done, keep it up.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2020, 11:06:55 AM »
You mention Irregular Wars as possible rules, and while I am a big fan of these rules they are really for small battles using mutlibased figures - I'm not sure they would really work great in such a complex urban environment. I'm envisaging some rules which allow heroic characters to run around (and up) the buildings fighting each other, rather than a unit based combat system.

Hi !

The rules problem is indeed a thorny problem, and I haven't solved it yet!

Nevertheless I make a few remarks:

- I would also like to be able to use these figurines, especially Bijapur's troops, to form a Mughal or Moorish Indian or even Hindu army, so I will prefer the multibased system!

- I make sure that the width of the streets, and the interiors of the buildings allow at least to place a base of 5X5 cm inside (and even 6 X 6 cm)

In short, I would really like to be able to keep a base system with several miniatures with a dimension of 5 or 6 cm per side.

What I appreciated in Irregular Wars is that it is a simple system but not simplistic.

It uses an event card system to modify the basic conditions of the scenario played, I will keep this system so that even during the game, events occur and modify the conditions of combat.

The one base = one unit system can prove to be very useful in this context of siege and urban combat because it allows the organization of the army to be better articulated, it introduces more flexibility.

And on a large classic table (2.4 mx 1.8 m) you can place up to 3 commandments for each protagonist: as the Portuguese will be few (I table on a large hundred figs divided into 3 commandments)

3 commands, this will allow me to propose 3 command bases per army, which will give great importance to at least 3 "heroes".

For Bijapur troops I would need between 400 and ... 2000 miniatures! It will be difficult so I imagined 2 things:

1 °) The Hindu archers are very numerous, but totally ineffective in melee, so I will not materialize them on the table, they will simply provide support in the form of dice rolls in ranged combat. Once the melee troops of their command destroyed or on the run, these archers will also be automatically eliminated (they flee or are massacred).

and 2 °) I will use an assault wave system! So, instead of having to buy / paint / put on my shelves between 400 and 2000 miniatures, I would have, let's say, only 200! The waves of assault will follow one another: once a command is eliminated, it can return to the table again (unlike the Portuguese who will permanently lose the eliminated units)!

Am I not great !?  lol

There is still a lot of work for the project to take shape, and I would also like to imagine a campaign system. In 2020, I will notably dissect my documentation, and I hope to even draw a small booklet from all this research!

In short, to be continued!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »
I follow your progress with great interest and I wish you a happy New Year full of creativity and imagination!
Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2020, 11:30:34 AM »
One essential question, are you waiting to paint all the buildings in one go?  Really look forward to seeing these buildings when painted. 

And now the less essential but perhaps insanity inducing question - any plans to do the Taj Mahal?  (and, yes, I know it is not in Goa for those who are going to try and spoil my fun!)  If there is modeler who can pull it off, I nominate Byblos for the head of the class!

Hi !

No I'm not going to paint them all once, that would be too much work! And I'm going to start painting work this year, especially since I still don't know how to proceed with the colors used, I'm reflecting on all of this ...

For the Taj mahal no it is not planned: my project does not take place in this region, nor at the same time! It is already a sufficiently complex project requiring a lot of work so I will "limit myself" to what I would really use in this context: the Portuguese in Kerala and the Bijapur coasts between 1500 and 1515.

On the other hand, in addition to the miniatures and the buildings, it will also be necessary to count with many elements of ground, and ships (One or 2 carracks, 1 or 2 caravels, smaller ships, but also Sambouks and other local ships!) .

And for the miniatures: there are of course infantrymen, a little (not much) cavalry, command bases / heroes, elephants, artillery!

Regarding the buildings, there will be Goa but also at least one farm, the fortress of Panaji (with optional elements allowing it to be used until the 18th century), the fortified watchtower of Banastri ... And, why no, we can even imagine later that I could model the fighting in Kerala (this time in a Hindu context and not Moorish from India) and let's be crazy: the taking of Malacca (the city of Malacca, junks , etc ...)

And I would love to put together a campaign system!

This project, in addition to its exoticism and originality, is also typical of drawer projects: it is a large cabinet with drawers, and there are plenty of drawers to open: one is Bijapur, the other Kerala, another still Malacca, and yet another Hormuz, and I'm not even talking about the city states of East Africa!

I will surely dedicate the 30 or 40 years of life that I should have to it !!

Anyway ... to be continued
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:59:17 PM by Byblos »

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2020, 11:34:06 AM »
I follow your progress with great interest and I wish you a happy New Year full of creativity and imagination!
Cheers!

Thanks Din, and Thank you all for your kindness and your interest in the project!

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2020, 06:34:26 PM »
Wow, that scratchbuilding!  :-* :-* Just pure awesome

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: [Portuguese in India] Goa 1510 WIP (Update October 16th 2019)
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2020, 08:28:05 PM »

A gorgeous build. Absolutely fantastic! What a creative use of beads and trinkets.

Will you join us in this years Build Somehting Contest?