Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:03:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 794
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Strontium Dog from Warlord Games  (Read 18698 times)

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
Re: Strontium Dog from Warlord Games
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2018, 03:04:06 AM »
Art appreciation is subjctive and nostalgia is a heck of a thing, but in no way am I going to agree that Citadel’s JD stuff was better thqn Mongoose or Foundry.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »
I don't think the figures look that bad. They look like they've been painted by duffers, I wonder what he thinks of them.
I might give the starter set a go
What I am amazed at is why they didn't look at Rogue Trooper as a game. The only thing I can think of is that they had their fingers burnt with the mass combat terminator game and wanted to test the water with the SD setting. Still, rogue Trooper would be fantastic as a game.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
The more I see the more its growing on me. With the exception of Johnny, Wulf and Red the figures do look ok, so maybe things won't be too bad after all.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
IMHO i think a francise as cool as this requires a better sculptor... the idea is spot on but the excecution leaves a bit to be desired...

I agree. These all leave me a bit cold if honest.

Edit: re size/scale

Base 25mm?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:01:34 PM by mcfonz »
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2018, 05:20:18 PM »
So.... Up for preorder but Warlord is unwilling to tell you what you're actually getting scale-wise? You could be preordering 28's, 1:48, 54mm, or 1:6 scale figures? Is this the kindergarten of orders? You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit?
Seems a funny way to sell a game, decidedly mediocre miniatures attached to scale that no one traditionally uses. I love me some SD but not enough to go running to a new scale and building new terrain. Just not happening with my hobby dollars.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2018, 10:43:13 PM »
Preorders have shipped (I bought the lot), so will be able to provide some size info soon...

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2018, 02:35:06 AM »
Preorders have shipped (I bought the lot), so will be able to provide some size info soon...
Thank you in advance. It will be very helpful.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2018, 07:41:58 AM »
This is on sale at Bovington today, tempted to get it, rules as far as I can tell is chips being pulled from bag like bolt action, the main characters get more chips than the lower ones so have more chance of doing stuff, minis look standard 28mm heroic scale, cards are used for special actions

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2018, 01:20:56 PM »
There is now an unofficial Facebook group for the game.  This image was posted there recently and ot shows that the SD figs ( or at least Johnny) are compatible with Warlord's Gates of Antares figs (and tjerefore probably the old Foundry 2000AD range).

The group is closed so you have to ask to join and is called the Dog House.  It looks both interesting and useful.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2018, 02:15:34 PM »
Johny apart I have to say that those Antares models looks great, I am always put down by producer paintjobs and Ive newer seen any in flesh...
I am not interest in playing Antares but was looking at some mini but Warlord photos just look unappealing to me.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »
The Antares stuff looks better than the Strontium Dog.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2018, 05:06:27 PM »
Johny apart I have to say that those Antares models looks great, I am always put down by producer paintjobs and Ive newer seen any in flesh...
I am not interest in playing Antares but was looking at some mini but Warlord photos just look unappealing to me.

I'm a Gates dabbler who mostly uses their figs for other games, but you can see some figs painted up over on my blog:

http://brokenstarsburningships.blogspot.com/

Pretty enthusiastic about the range as a whole, although some appeal to me more than others.

On topic, yeesh, Durham Red is not what I envisioned when I read the Dan Abnett novels.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
This image was posted there recently and ot shows that the SD figs ( or at least Johnny) are compatible with Warlord's Gates of Antares figs (and tjerefore probably the old Foundry 2000AD range).
The group is closed so you have to ask to join and is called the Dog House.  It looks both interesting and useful.
Thank you.

Do you have a link for the group?

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2018, 07:49:48 PM »
Picked up my copy of the starter set, goons and stick brothers today, figures are tall will post a comparison with mongoose stuff later

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2018, 08:05:16 PM »
Mongoose minis second from left and second from right