Forum > Workbench

Sprue cutters any good?

<< < (2/2)

MartinR:
I spent decades cutting tiny bits of plastic off sprues with a knife, leading to the inevitable pinging onto the floor and endless crawling around on my hands and knees trying to find the errant parts.

A cheap five quid pair of sprue cutters stopped all that.

Don't bother with expensive ones. You will end up using them to cut metal, and one day you will damage the blades in doing so.

You do still get a bit of pinging, but nothing like as much as using a knife.

Captain Harlock:
I have a 2 euro worth mini wire/cable cutter. Does what its supposed to do. For difficult and delicate pieces (usually in scale models, minis are more robust) I use a set of photoeched razor saw blades that can be attached to an x-acto grip.

Mick_in_Switzerland:
I think that a good pair of sprue cutters is an essential tool and I buy expensive ones (£20 plus).

Side cutters are ground from outside to inside, so they leave a noticeable stump. Worse still the bevel puts stress on the part as you cut which causes delicate parts to break.

Flush cutters & sprue cutters are ground from inside to outside. They are flat on the outside edge, so there is no stump after you cut and the stresses are on the sprue not the part. If you take care to get the blades flat against the part, you do not even need to use a file to clean up the cut area.

I have a Tamiya pair that I only use on plastic. These are very precise
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74123/index.htm

I also have a pair of electronics flush cutters for tougher jobs such as white metal and brass. I never use these on hard steel as this will dent the blades.
These are Knipex 78 61 125 about half way down the page.
https://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1367&groupID=1483&artID=2736

Daeothar:
I have quite a few of the very cheap €-store ones, but they've proven to be disappointments all; dull or dulled easily, wonky/wobly construction, material too soft etc, etc.

I then was able to buy a brand new GW one for only a couple of €, (I would never have paid full price for it though) and this finally is a cutter I can rely on and does what it's supposed to do.

So even though you shouldn't pay out of your nose for one, you should absolutely not settle on the dirt cheap ones from Action or $/€/£ stores either, as you'll only get frustrated by them...

dampfpanzerwagon:
I use pet nail/claw clippers that I picked up some years ago at a car boot sale. (used for trimming dog/rabbit claws).

I think they cost me a pound!

Tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version