Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:13:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689711
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 736
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Akira - Rooftop PV panels -page 23  (Read 55170 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: Akira - Road extensions - page 11
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2019, 08:06:56 AM »
That planter looks ace!

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2019, 09:07:31 AM »
Whole thing looks grand. Keep going.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »
The planter looks good, but I got your point about how it should look.

How about a base for the tree that 'fades' into the pavement, and (slightly) slopes up to the tree trunk itself? As if the roots have pushed up the pavement; happens all the time.

Also, I've put a lot of thought into the planning for a table with removing, working street lights, and I ended up settling on using 3.5mm jack-plugs, with the sockets recessed into the base, connected to a wiring harness underneath the board.

The plugs have several advantages: they are tight, connect the + and - well, and are easily removed and replaced. I found a type that is very thin, almost as thin as the plug itself , so probably about 4mm. It's a soft brass and has a textured outside (diamonds) to facilitate easy (un)plugging, which would probably have to go; either puttied over or filed/sanded off.

Then it's pretty easy to solder the wires and lead them through a tube which is the mast. Haven't thought about the actual light fitting, but there are loads of dirt cheap model railroad street lights on AliExpress (I know; bought 100 of them ::) ) so those are a definite option.

Be aware; I haven't fully fleshed out or even tried this approach, but it does seem very promising... ;)

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2019, 10:40:38 AM »

Also, I've put a lot of thought into the planning for a table with removing, working street lights, and I ended up settling on using 3.5mm jack-plugs, with the sockets recessed into the base, connected to a wiring harness underneath the board.

I'm so jealous of all of you electro-priests (that's the correct term, right?) out there. I would love to add lights to my 15mm builds, but I haven't got the knowledge, tools or skill.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2019, 10:56:37 AM »
I'm so jealous of all of you electro-priests (that's the correct term, right?) out there. I would love to add lights to my 15mm builds, but I haven't got the knowledge, tools or skill.

I believe they prefer galvanimancer these days, none of that religious mumbo jumbo.  :D

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2019, 11:14:53 AM »
Voltlord Currentwrangler; Amp-smith. At your service...  ;D

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2019, 02:54:37 PM »
Voltlord Currentwrangler; Amp-smith. At your service...  ;D
I believe they prefer galvanimancer these days, none of that religious mumbo jumbo.  :D

Welp, looks like I'm going to yet another sensitivity training seminar...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »
Cheers again  :D

How about a base for the tree that 'fades' into the pavement, and (slightly) slopes up to the tree trunk itself? As if the roots have pushed up the pavement; happens all the time.

I'm going for quick and easy, so for the most part it'll be washers and rings (which is what the current one is made from) but if I have a fancy building then that would be more suitable.

Be aware; I haven't fully fleshed out or even tried this approach, but it does seem very promising... ;)

No, that all makes sense and was kind of the way I was going to do it. We did have an electronics chain over here called Maplins but they've gone bust which is a shame as I'd rather be able to look at components in my hand rather than pictures on the net  :? Still, might be worth a punt as the components won't be expensive at all.

As to what to call it, Elastic-trickery Meister might be suitable but I'm rubbish at electronics (for some bizarre reason, I got most of the wiring jobs at work; I still need the picture to wire a fucking plug  lol )
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2019, 10:54:58 AM »
After the Boxer Rebellion game last night I managed to do a quick set up of most of what's been done so far. Top photos are without the extensions and the bottom ones are with. I'll certainly be doing it with as there's so much more room to get hands in.

I might also do some thin side passages to go between the building plates but it won't be for all of them as the gap it creates might cause a problem for the expressway; something to ponder

I've got most of the parts for the expressway but they are still unassembled and therefore not included.

The strange looking angled piece close to the ground surface is a construction site but it has stairs that lead below ground level so when all the boards are elevated to the correct height it'll fit nicely into the building plate.

There's still sooooo much to do though  lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Akira - Layout setup - page 13
« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »
Looking good, mate.
 8) 8)

It could be a bit of a bugger moving figures once the overpass is in place.
I reckon that you need a very small assistant to climb underneath and move the figures around for ya.
 ;D

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2019, 11:04:25 AM »
Damn impressive. That looks absolutely stunning and spot on. But I can imagine that raised highway will inhibit gameplay quite a bit, that's a pity. For my own table I am considering doing an angular part in a corner to give that extra height and body...but keep things practical. So in a top down view a 45 degree road running through one quarter of the table.
But I can see that's not really an option now with your setup ;). Still, the best table setup there is man, totally awesome.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2019, 11:58:11 AM »
Cheers  :)

I reckon that you need a very small assistant to climb underneath and move the figures around for ya.
 ;D

I've got him a scaled school girl uniform so he'll fit in with on of the gangs I've got  lol

Damn impressive. That looks absolutely stunning and spot on. But I can imagine that raised highway will inhibit gameplay quite a bit, that's a pity. For my own table I am considering doing an angular part in a corner to give that extra height and body...but keep things practical. So in a top down view a 45 degree road running through one quarter of the table.
But I can see that's not really an option now with your setup ;). Still, the best table setup there is man, totally awesome.

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking when I started  lol

Fortunately, the expressway elements aren't attached to the supports in anyway so they could be just lifted off to allow access. The corner section is a good idea though  8)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »
I've got him a scaled school girl uniform so he'll fit in with on of the gangs I've got  lol

:o :o :o :o

Oh, you bugger!
I cannot unsee that image now!
HELP!

:o :o :o

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2019, 12:55:45 PM »
Fantabulous.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #194 on: June 21, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
That really is an amazing set up. The elevated expressways could be used for Dredd too.