Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:13:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WWI British Vehicle Colors?  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
WWI British Vehicle Colors?
« on: May 21, 2009, 06:04:07 PM »
Greetings all.  I am working on some WWI (Late War) Brits and I have started to work on their vehicles.  I am now officially debating how to paint them.  I tried a Vallejo Flat Green on my Crossley Truck and can’t say that I am happy with the result.  I plan to do a couple Mark IV’s, a Rolls Royce Armored Car, and assorted supply vehicles.  Can anyone recommend a couple of good colors to use? Note  I know that some of the vehicles were camouflaged, but I want to keep things simple for the moment.  I’m thinking olive greens or anything appropriate for the Western Front. I’m also looking for specific colors, ie. GW, Vallejo, PP3, etc.  Any help with artillery would also be appreciated.  I appreciate the help.  Thanks.

Joey
WWI Newbie 

I wanted to make a small amendment to my request.  I have been to the excellent Landships website and others, the webmaster is a saint.  Honestly, I just need help with specific color choices to match the colors featured on that site.  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:17:12 PM by Deathwing »
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: WWI British Vehicle Colors?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
Late war (1917+) tanks were typically painted brown. Green and various bizarre camo schemes were tried, but they all got covered in mud the moment the tanks went into action so they figured they might as well paint them that colour in the first place.

Edit: Just saw your edit. No idea about Vallejo numbers or anything like that. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:43:07 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:00:46 AM »
Thanks anyway Poly.  I don't need exact colors.  Surely someone here has painted a Mark IV and can tell me what color they used?  Assuming it was for the Great War!  lol

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 04:04:14 PM »
Catachan green is a nice one to use, add scorched brown for a shade & a touch of vallejo gunship green for a highlight.

Graveyard earth would work too for the brown, use Vallejo burnt umber for the shade & add a khaki to highlight.

Hope this helps  :D

Keith

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »
Well I painted mine a sandy brown for Palestine, Joey, so my paint choices might not be much help. But... I think I could probably get away with using him for 1917/1918 Western Front, as the colour matches the artwork in the Osprey book pretty well (perhaps a tad too sandy, perhaps not), and some of the photos of surviving tanks on the Landships site.

Here's the pic from the LPL:

A mix of Humbrol Matt 29 and Matt 63 enamels, I believe, though underneath about half a dozen washes of various colours and types and then all the rivets painstakingly picked out with Coat d'Arms acrylics. One of their deserty ones, can't remember the exact name.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:23:52 PM »
Thanks gents.  My idea is to base with Catachan Green, then highlight with Camo Green.  Finally a light highlight of Vallejo Dead Flesh around the sharp edges.  Now I have a plan of attack.  Poly, your stuff is beautiful.

Joey

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 02:28:07 PM »
Continuing this subject, can anyone advise what about vehicle colours (soft skins and armoured cars) were used in Mesopotamia and on North West Frontier during WW1 and into the early 1920s?
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge