Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:44:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) Full Battle Rattle Miniatures announces a Canadian LAV-III preorder  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Will, thank you for the elaboration, it helps clarify things that I think might be getting lost here. As mentioned by some others as well, this is entirely to make this project happen, and we will lose money, but at least a LAV-III will hit market.

Arrigo, feel free to contact me privately if you have any doubt as to how I got to my individual prices. I would appreciate you refraining from unfounded accusations in a public forum.

the ripping off people comments was not directed to you, but at 40 Euros 20mm kits and the following line of thought. It was a lame reasoning to justify what I, and other people perceive as an extremely high price for a glorified APC (nothing against you, but vs the Stryker family!). I am pretty sure you have made your calculations and you already said there is a potential loss involved.

What I question is the wisdom of such a scheme. Not just for your wallet considering what you said (not that I am such a good samaritan, but I happens to like your range and I want it to continue!), but for the market as well. Yes a high quality  LAV-III will hit the marker, but it will, possibly, be outside the majority of gamers' tables.  Also I am quite sure that, even if the kit itself proves viable another issue will pop out, increasing the price (making it a sort of modern wargamer status symbol) or lowering the price and incurring in bad feelings from the pre-orderers? And then, considering it is a quite cool looking vehicle... what will happen if other manufacturers came out with lower priced knock offs? Happy me... but switching shoes I will feel a bit 'used'.

As I said earlier, and others also hinted perfection is the enemy of good enough. A good reasonably  priced version would be much better from a lot of perspectives than an unreachable top quality one. It was the same of the Company B Stryker, it was much more expensive than the Empress one, and, to be brutally honest, my previous experience with Coy B resin had been less than positive. Yes it is riveted, but the empress one is still good, and with a bit of detailing it is very good on the table.

Apologies if I sounded too harsh, it was not my original intention (but I admit that I was a bit carried over by the sentence 'if it is not for everyone' long sad story...).

Best,
Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
well.... just because someone is ripping off people with overpriced models this is not an excuse to continue...  I think it is time cusotmers vote with their feet against overprices...

With respect, Arrigo. You are making it seem like Alex, Modell Trans and the others are retiring to a condo in Florida because they are charging $15 or $20 more for a better than normal product. My understanding from chatting to Alex is that he is just trying to break even by bringing good quality items to the public.

I'm sure the Modell Trans guy is just doing the same as Alex is - trying to cover his costs. This "industry" is more of a hobby for small producers with niche products than it is a paying business.

28mm is a skirmish scale. Guys are going to buy 1 or 2 of these models for a scenario. Few or none are going to buy a company of LAV-III's in 28mm. Guys spend a fortune in paint, brushes, varnish and scenery items to make a game memorable. The difference between buying a good quality product at the price that make sense for Alex and using an Empress LAV-25 and making believe it's a LAV-III is probably the same as a few pots of paint.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
Perhaps ironically.... I checked the Company B website and noticed that both its Stryker products were "sold out", unlike most of its other models.

So SOMEONE is buying those "overpriced" models.

Offline peachy rex

• Bookworm
As a frequent visitor over several years to CompanyB's post-war page, I can report that their Strykers have been "sold out" every time I've been there. Which makes me suspect that they are among the companies which use "sold out" as a euphemism for "out of production."

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
To add some perspective; the LAV III is a BIG vehicle. Similar in size to a Leopard.
So priced the same as  Warlords resin Tiger 2 is pretty reasonable considering smaller scale of production.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
To add some perspective; the LAV III is a BIG vehicle. Similar in size to a Leopard.
So priced the same as  Warlords resin Tiger 2 is pretty reasonable considering smaller scale of production.
It s a good point.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
If you should need someone to paint the LAV model, pop me a message. I’d do it for postage and I’ve done all of GHQ’s LAV Canadian models ...
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
Good afternoon everyone,

Time for an updated on the LAV-III crowdfund:

We're about half way to where we really wanted to be to go into production, and just under 2/3 of the way to where we would try and figure something out. At this point, we're going to run the pre-order until Sunday, July 29, at which point we will either be able to move forward, or cancel the project and refund your money.

We'd like to thank everyone for their support of our little company, it's truly been a labour of love, and keep your head on a swivel for other news later this month!

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
We're just a few days away, and so close to our target, this might just move forward! If anyone was on the fence, now is the time to help make it happen!

https://fullbattlerattleminiatures.com/products/isaf-canadian-lav-iii

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 09:58:12 PM by AlexM »

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
Exciting news - we are moving forward on the project! I'll update as more WIP photos turn up!

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
Exciting news - we are moving forward on the project! I'll update as more WIP photos turn up!

Great news, Alex! I look forward to getting my 4 afv's!!

Offline James23105

• Schoolboy
Fantastic news Alex, I can't wait for them to come out.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
The first WiP shot of the LAV-3 turret.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Nice stowage racks.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I can appreciate the presentation on those details. Areas which can be thin - like the hinges of the turret hatches - aren't unnecessarily large or have a lack of depth as you see with other companies at this scale. The racks are as representational as the medium allows for without going to brass etch too. The resin doesn't have that "soft" look you see with some models too, with some nice hard edges to it.

There's been a question of price, though from experience with companies producing similar products, this looks like a good step up in quality in what's available. With the required mods already included if you want this particular variant of the vehicle (though I would assume that besides alternative turrets, producing other vehicles based on this chassis may be more the customer's decision than something which would be economical for you guys to come out with).