Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:51:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

?

Strong Arm of The Law (Pil)
23 (11.6%)
Errare romanum est! (Tellus)
175 (88.4%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: ROUND 4 Strong Arm of The Law (Pil) vs Errare romanum est! (Tellus)  (Read 6337 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
Ugh... I can't pick.  They're both awesome.  Even my "which one would I like to have sitting on my shelf more" test didn't have a clear winner...

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Wow! Bold, striking and OTT colors against soft, neutral and realistic colors. The difference is enormous. The first entry is almost on fire! Really bold colors that fit the miniatures perfectly. I really like the 'in your face' effect and it makes the Space Marines look even stronger than normally. On the other hand, the historical dudes (don't know a thing about them :)) look very realistic and I like the painting effects on the tunics a lot. It makes it look like real fabrics. I bookmarked that effect in my head for future use. I also like the scenic backdrops of both entries.
All in all great work on both entries and I'll flip a coin now.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
Tellus - your entry is fantastic, but the pure unadulterated nostalgia of Pil's entry got me :)  However, I think you might do ok in this round, even without my vote, Tellus! :)

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
Hey Keeper,next round I'll give you another chance  ;)
Glad you like 'em anyway.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
No nostalgia for beakies from me. I hate them now like I did then :o

Tellus, fantastic group. Your style looks familiar, do you use another moniker on other forums?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
What does the yellow 'Jesus' poster say? (top right of top photo)

Both are great, but I voted for the first. More going on, and the black/red/yellow is fantastic.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Tellus

• Scientist

Tellus, fantastic group. Your style looks familiar, do you use another moniker on other forums?

Thank's
No,I use always Tellus.If no one else is doing it the same way as I do,perhaps it looks familiar because of this thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=8069.0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 10:55:09 PM by Tellus »

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
What does the yellow 'Jesus' poster say? (top right of top photo)

Both are great, but I voted for the first. More going on, and the black/red/yellow is fantastic.

Something about Jesus promising eternal life. It was nicked from a site taht had a lot of religious posters based on existing designs, this one is based on a Neckermann poster:

Thanks for all the kind words, I just broke the 10% mark  :D Seriously though, as soon as I saw the opposition I knew I was done for. Great work Tellus, especially on the fabric as Malebolgia pointed out!

For my entry I really wanted the "In your face" look, I think it worked and I'm very pleased with my entry and my models. I made an effort to convert the old Field Police colour scheme from Rogue Trader to something taht wouldn't look too dull on the table and I think I succeeded. The rhino was the next challenge (note the flashing lights), because I had no idea what colour scheme to pick. In the end I just nicked the colour scheme from Dutch police vehicles, with the colours replaced:

You might also noticed I replaced the side hatches with 25mm bases, this is because one of them was missing (second hand rhino ;)), and in the end this gave me a perfect surface for the emblem and some text. Not really visible in this picture (fortunately) is how the gloss varnish ruined part of the paintjob on the rhino :(

Anyway, I'm gklad you enjoyed my entry (for those who did) and there's no shame losing to an entry like Tellus' 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Pil, dont get me wrong its a great entry. I just hate metal wombles.  I was always a little disappointed that my ugly mug appeared in the original 40k rulebook and not the WHFB one which was more my thing. :(

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: ROUND 4 Strong Arm of The Law (Pil) vs Errare romanum est! (Tellus)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 10:06:49 AM »
No problem, you're not the only one who doesn't like the models. I do like them even though WFB is more my thing as well. The downside of WFB though is that a game takes a lot more time and miniatures to play and therefore isn't really suitable for our weekly get-togethers (unless you play small games which are very unbalanced). I'll take a peek at your ugly mug when I get home ;)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 11:33:35 AM »
Sorry, Pil, your miniatures are great and a big relief from all those heroic blood&mud-stained crap that nowadays 40k has become.
But for me there are several important points with Tellus' entry:
- historical miniatures
- some of the greatest miniatures sculpted by the Perry Bros
- Late Antiquity, one of my favorite periods
- and, not the least, very nice painting (love the metalwork)

So, even if Tellus wasn't a fellow wargamer, I had to vote for him. Just curious, why these miniatures are based individually...  ???

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 12:23:12 PM »
Don't worry about it, Tellus' entry is really good indeed  :)

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »
Hey Pil,
you have a really cool colour scheme,I really like these old Models and I love the Rhino.Also I like your presentation,only the grass didn't work for me but overall it's a sound entry and I feel a bit sorry that this entry does not get what it deserves.

@ Mad Doc
They are only temporarily based this way.I need to paint some more of their fellows for my DBA Project.But that's not top priority,so they enjoy their freedom ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:10:42 PM by Tellus »

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »
Very nice entries. I particularly like the shading in the second one. Those figure's look almost as if they would walk out of the picture...
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!