Forum > Pikes, Muskets and Flouncy Shirts

Empress or TAG or Perry?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Phillius:
Personally I would go with Avanpost although their range is only just developing.

I'm not sure how it affected dress at the time, but the TYW is the start of what modern climate scientists have termed "the little ice age". In Peter Wilsons book on the TYW he points out how it was colder on the continent than it was in Britain at this time; due to Britains maritime climate. And that to me, indicates slightly fuller clothing in Europe than in Britain (e.g. longer coats). However, I could be completely wrong on that one.

I also believe there are differences in head wear between Britain and the continent at that time. Helmets and casual wear.

CaptainBigglesmay:
TAG a clear first. Bicorne and Renegade a second. Perry/foundry both beautiful ranges but 25mm and too small to fit in with TAG, so use them as command or odd figures. I tend to use them as younger men in my ECW garrison regiments.

Can't personally deal with empress, look too wooden in poses and the range in general does nothing for me.

Sparrow:
Hi Parrot

Have followed this thread with great interest. If you are wanting to game the TYW my advice would be go with a TYW range like Assault Group. The Empress range is wonderful (in my opinion, although I am a little biased 😉) but it is very much an ECW range (there were quite a few differences between European and English/Welsh fashions at the time). It depends how “purist” you want to be I suppose but the fact you’ve asked this suggests you are wanting to take this pretty seriously (which I thoroughly applaud).

The Renegade and Bicorne ranges are, in my opinion , neither TYW nor (based on the latest research) ECW but rather “generic C17th”. Personally, I don’t go for their chunky style but each to their own (as I’ve said before on this forum, it would be really boring if we were all the same! Where some see problems others see beauty!).

The Perry range was great when it came out but suffers a bit from being left alone for too long. Size wise it presents some challenges if mixing with other ranges but there are some lovely figures in there.

Hope this has all helped! Good luck with the project!

Sparrow:
Should have said - musket rests! Still being issued in England in 1644 though very much at the whim of the individual Colonel (or those paying to equip the Regiment!). They are issued to help provide a steady aim (ie to prevent you firing too high or low) so are particularly useful with less experienced troops. No idea re use in the TYW but European  artwork of the 1630’s suggests some troops at least were still using them then? (Of course it may also be artistic licence by the artist!). Hope this helps...

Metternich:
To add to Sparrow's comments, the Empress ECW range cavalry are very much English and wouldn't be found on the Continent (i.e. not really TYW).  The armored cavalry (what in the 17th century would be called Harquebusiers, to distinguish them from the still heavier Cuirassier in 3/4 armor) have the "three-barred pot" helmet which was an English fashion -  the continental fashion was for the single nasal.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version