Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Into the Peninsula update 08/04/20  (Read 51657 times)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Into the Peninsula update 08/10/18
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2018, 11:28:03 AM »
Thanks for commenting guys much appreciated :)

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2018, 01:11:52 PM »
Really appreciate you sharing. It’s helping to motivate me - in the middle of painting British , approx 200. 😬

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2018, 08:45:31 PM »
You are doing a proper tidy job on these fellas!
 :-* :-*

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2018, 08:31:07 AM »
Thanks guys, 200 is a lot of figures Sabot, but I'm sure you're up to the task 👍

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2018, 07:35:47 PM »
Right then let's get some of these chaps on to the table. As I've said already I'm painting up a sharp Practice size force but before we get there I can use some of the figures in a game of Fistful of Lead Horse and Musket.
Here are the two sides and the table layout, the scenario is one I made up myself. Sergeant Harper will lead his chosen men as part of a larger skirmish screen advancing in front of the close order battalions, their task is to clear the ground in front of them of the enemy skirmishers and stop any of the French Voltigeurs from infiltrating their skirmish line and taking pot shots at the Officers in the units behind.
The Voltigeurs led by Lieutenant Cul Enorme (Hugh Jarce in French 🙄) had the same mission.
Both sides got one point for every figure they got off the enemy side of the table and one point for every enemy figure they took out of action. They were not allowed to have any of their figures leave the table until they had killed at least one enemy soldier (this was to make sure they actually fought rather than just ran for the other side of the table).

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »
The two sides advanced towards each other and the different approach was immediatley apparent. The Rifles were concentrated on their left flank in two groups of five whilst the French spread out along their front working almost in pairs as they cautiously made their way forward using as much cover as possible.
Both sides opened fire early on with the Rifles having the best of it initally due to their longer range.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2018, 07:52:04 PM »
Both sides make the hedge lined road and the fire fight becomes more deadly, the French are struggling to hold their own against the superior numbers of the Rifles that they have in front of them and desperately need the Voltigeurs out on their extreme left flank to move in and even the odds.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2018, 08:07:38 PM »
Two significant things happen in the final couple of moves, the French skirmishers out on the left flank cross the road and move down on to the right flank of the Rifles, they let loose and manage to take out Sergeant Harper, the Riflemen now leaderless but determined charge across the road and attack Lt. Enorme and his handful of men.
Lt Enorme falls to a sword bayonet but the Rifles are held and have lost to many men to complete their mission handing the field to the French.
We ended  the game here as there was no way the British could win but it was a very enjoyable skirmish.
Like all skirmish rules at this level it doesn't have as much eye candy on display as the big Battallion type games, however using these rules players are constantly making low level decisions that kept everybody busy.
Also they are a very narrative driven set of rules every move could be told as a story, with some funny and rather gruesome (in some cases) little stories of their own happening on different parts of the battlefield.
You really do get an affinity with individual figures and are genuinely disappointed or very happy with how they perform.
We played the scenario twice and the Rifles won the second game, but that's another story :)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Re: Into the Peninsula update 12/10/18
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »
Also they are a very narrative driven set of rules every move could be told as a story, with some funny and rather gruesome (in some cases) little stories of their own happening on different parts of the battlefield.
You really do get an affinity with individual figures and are genuinely disappointed or very happy with how they perform.
That's what I want to hear! And you are correct in that you can use the rules on the way to playing bigger skirmishes (like Sharpe Practice), and a great way to dip your toe in a period without having to paint a ton of miniatures.
If you want to up the scale without too much more painting, we play sometimes where your rank and file are in groups of three. They in all ways act like a single miniature, activating as one on the same card, and do the same action. One roll to shoot, close combat etc. Take a wound? Lose a guy. Follow same penalties as if it was a wound. Officers remain a single mini. This gives the illusion of a slightly bigger fight, but you're still only really worrying about 5 cards, but have 12-15 miniatures.
There are some more traits that were added in Galactic Heroes that can give you even more flavor to your H&M games, but they work perfectly fine without them!

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2018, 10:55:39 PM »
Nice pictures and write up Jeff.Just as I remember it,those Voltiguers must have been vets as their musket fire was deadly accurate :(  :)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
Thanks BVJ I'll give the treble figures a go, it'll help fill the table up for photos :)
Enjoyed the game Romark, better luck next time ;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
Great stuff. The table looks terrific. Your new terrain boards?
Good to see FFOL h&M getting an outing. Expect to be playing them next weekend  lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
That's a proper feast of eye candy, Jeff.
 :-* :-*

Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and post.
 :D

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »
Excellent - looks great and sounds fun !  :-* 8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2018, 01:33:55 PM »
All round terrific. Love the table and the action report. Will give the  rules a go. 👍