Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Armoured Train( to be in cereal packet card).pictures added 26/03  (Read 9964 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Armoured Train( to be in cereal packet card).pictures added 26/03
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2019, 07:03:13 AM »
That's when the Tin Shed oeuvre gets truly impressive, when you look upon an entire table of scenery knowing it's pretty much all made from cereal packet card.

That's what outs him a level above all us mere mortals! :o

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »
This is one of the best uses of cereal packet card I've seen! Great job! Congrats!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2019, 09:28:15 AM »
 lol steady on.
You do know I just make this up as I go along ;)

I've decided I'll have to do a civilian train to. Having recovered from seeing the prices of O gauge . The wisest option ( which still allows me to eat and avoid being divorced/ murdered.) Is to carry on and build it from card.
I was contemplating the 517 class locomotives. As they've a service history that would cover both my VSF inclinations and my Ealing board.( which is what I'm plodding on with.) Admittedly it would be elderly by the 1930's. But if memory serves the last one was scrapped after 70 years of service.
Plus I'm never going to use more than 4ft of track.  But I don't want to build another box on wheels such as a saddle tank engine.
Also I've just re watched 'Oh Mister Porter' which is pretty much the inspiration for the look of my railway stuff.
Other than walking many of the results of Mr Beachams musings I'm not in the least familiar with steam railways.
So if you've any idea's on a locomotive that has the feel of the bigger trains(as I woud like to be able to move it at least its own length on a 4ft table.)which isn't a locomotive with a full length saddle tank. As I don't want to build another box. ( the armoured train is just three pretty boxes.)
I'd love to hear them plus a pic wouldn't harm ( so I can at least pretend to know what your talking about ;) )
Mark.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
No idea for your request, but those are some pretty boxes.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2019, 04:39:22 PM »
lol steady on.
You do know I just make this up as I go along ;)

Don't we all!  lol

I've decided I'll have to do a civilian train to. Having recovered from seeing the prices of O gauge . The wisest option ( which still allows me to eat and avoid being divorced/ murdered.) Is to carry on and build it from card.
I was contemplating the 517 class locomotives. As they've a service history that would cover both my VSF inclinations and my Ealing board.( which is what I'm plodding on with.) Admittedly it would be elderly by the 1930's. But if memory serves the last one was scrapped after 70 years of service.
Plus I'm never going to use more than 4ft of track.  But I don't want to build another box on wheels such as a saddle tank engine.
Also I've just re watched 'Oh Mister Porter' which is pretty much the inspiration for the look of my railway stuff.
Other than walking many of the results of Mr Beachams musings I'm not in the least familiar with steam railways.
So if you've any idea's on a locomotive that has the feel of the bigger trains(as I woud like to be able to move it at least its own length on a 4ft table.)which isn't a locomotive with a full length saddle tank. As I don't want to build another box. ( the armoured train is just three pretty boxes.)
I'd love to hear them plus a pic wouldn't harm ( so I can at least pretend to know what your talking about ;) )
Mark.

How did you come to look at O gauge? From the pieces I've seen O gauge is FAR too large for 28mm. I prefer S gauge myself, but others prefer ON30, which is sort of S-gauge-y in terms of train size, but uses HO scale track. (IMO S gauge is perfect for rails, you can stand a miniature on a modest base between the rails without tilting - something you can't do with HO scale).

Mind you, S-gauge is prohibitively expensive as well, but it seems to at least be bang-on in terms of "looks right" scale for 28mm figures.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »
Oh and as for trains, You'd best decide if you're going to go with one locomotive or two.

With two, you can do a short-haul 0-3-0 tank engine without tender (a la Thomas) and a longer express/freight model, perhaps on a 2-4-0, 1-4-0, or 1-4-1 design, with a tender (there are larger, but then half your table length would be loco!). 

If you're just doing one, a compromise is something like a medium-haul 1-3-0 or 1-3-1 setup, either with a longer built-in coal bin (tank-engine style again, just a bit elongated) or the sort with a half-length tender.

If you're baffled as to what I'm referring to with those numbers by the way, that's the nomenclature for locomotive wheel configuration, with left to right reading front to back of one side. So a "2-3-1" would indicate an engine with two small wheels forward of the driving wheels, three large drive wheels, and one small wheel under the cab.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2019, 11:54:46 PM »
Mark,
Michi is your man for all things train related. He has substantial knowledge in the subject and has done some pretty mind blowing lay outs
Lon.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.