Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:56:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 456
Total: 464

Recent

Author Topic: Current Most Popular Old West Rules???  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Featherstone

• Assistant
  • *rolls 3D6* Let's just see how this goes...
    • Hollywood Games Co.
Current Most Popular Old West Rules???
« on: July 31, 2018, 12:13:33 AM »
I’m a writer with a love for gaming and a penchant for graphic design projects — result: I’m contemplating designing a scenario book with ten to fifteen missions based on the lives of maybe ten or so historical Old West gunslingers. I’ve cut my teeth on publishing with this CONGO Tomb-raiding scenario book and already have enough longstanding interest in the Old West... but I’m at a loss:

What’s the most popular rules system for Old West gaming *currently*?
I’ve played “Legends of the Old West” and it was alright, but that’s OoP, and I’d want to build the scenarios on at least one major market system, if not to be bi-compatible with runners-up. Thoughts? Would anyone be interested in such a booklet? Little pop-bios of the gunslingers and a few of their famous capers in ready-to-go scenario format...

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Current Most Popular Old West Rules???
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 08:06:30 AM »
'Fistful of Lead' is my go to set for Wild West lead slinging. Having a fistful of playing cards to activate your little Heroes brings proper meaning to 'dead man's hand!'
I would be more than interested in a scenario booklet.

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:44:06 AM »
We very much like 'Dead Man's Hand'. The cards are very thematic, and the play is fast and cinematic, and offers plenty of decisions for the players.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »
Got to agree with both the above - "Fistful of Lead" and "Dead Man's Hand" are both regular games for me.

RMZ

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
I too would be interested in a scenario booklet. We use a homemade set written by a fellow club member. I have LotOW and have played it , but it did,nt excite me .  I prefer fast and furious , down and dirty rules for this period.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
Fistful of lead for me, but if its a fairly general, none rule specific scenario book I would still be interested.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »

Fistful of Lead for me also a great rules set. Scenarios are always useful to have, so I guess a book with plenty of these would be welcome.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline romelll

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »
Rules with No Name

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 12:39:46 PM »
I'm always interested in scenario books, though in my opinion most historical gunfights don't make particularly interesting games (often they involved little more than one fellow getting shot in the back). Far better to base an upcoming book on Westerns. Take a look at the scenario book for Fistful of Lead; all the scenarios are purely fictional, but they are simply great, covering a whole range of subjects, from gunslingers, banditos, Indians, prospectors...it's a lot of fun!

Good luck with your project!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 12:49:15 PM »
While mostly people seem to focus on the bad guys of the Old West (Hollywood's predominant influence, no doubt), if you're going to travel the road of the real history then the stories of how the law men got their man (or men - or even woman [women]) is a much more fascinating story.  It is amazing to me the lengths gone to in order to track down and capture (or kill) the criminal element.  Lawmen were a persistent lot then as now.  Not sure how exciting a game some of these might be since it could take days, weeks, months, or even years, there are plenty of incidents of dramatic shootouts (or what ifs) at the moment of capture (or death) that would be a good basis for a game.

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »
I still really like the old tried and true Desperado, though I did just get the PDF for Gunfighters Ball by Knuckleduster and it looks really good.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
Fistful of Lead comes with 16+ scenarios and a scenario book (A Fistful More) with 20 more. Plus we put a 99¢ Mostly Monthly scenario, mostly monthly.

You might want to talk to the authors (like me) before you start something, especially if you are going to sell them as compatible with X game.

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 08:57:11 PM »
I've moved from Dead Man's Hand to Gunfighter's Ball recently.  Something about that game that really hits all of my checkmarks.  Plus, every time I play I end up in tears from laughter.  I've done all of my games using the Greenhorn Edition of GFB, it's a perfectly playable free version of the game.  The PDF of the new full rules are really great.  And I can't wait to get my hands on the Pistoleer deck and Black deck for the game, to enhance it.

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »
Dead Man’s Hand is our local fav.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 07:32:13 PM »
The two most popular would definitely be Dead Man's Hand, and Baron's Fistful of Lead, just as far as sheer numbers from what I see on forums, Facebook groups, etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!