Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)  (Read 74891 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2023, 05:59:14 PM »
The palette you used works very well, I really like the flesh tone. Hopefully they’ll perform well in upcoming games!
Thanks.

My Carnival's white and red skin tones are intended to look like stage/clown makeup. The makeup assists Carnival Master's illusion or normalcy. When the illusion is dropped, you see all these creepy dudes covered in crudely applied makeup.  Which to me, would be even more unsettling than seeing mutants without the makeup.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2023, 06:08:04 PM »
Now that my archers are done, except for the Plague Cart, which needs a bit more conversion work, my Carnival warband is pretty much done.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2023, 06:45:58 PM »
One of my favorite optional rules for Mordheim is the Random Happenings, which was originally published in Town Cryer #3 and again in the Mordheim Annual 2002.  For your convenience, I've attached a pdf copy to this post.

In my opinion, few things better exemplify the weirdness and chaos of Mordheim than the Random Happenings table, so when I use these rules I don't limit it to one 'Happening' per game, rather I prefer to keep going until one player calls a halt to the madness.

Many of the 'Happenings' bring new models to the table.  Over the years I've collected all the unpainted models necessary for any Happening, but I've never properly painted them all.  Well, now that my Carnival is done, I think I'll take a stab and getting more of them painted.  This will give me a chance to put some paint on some fun models and give me an excuse to use models sitting in my various bit-boxes, unused and neglected.  I'll post pics of what I have painted so far and, from time to time, post updates on completed models.

Ogre Bodyguard -purchased
Swarm of Rats -purchased & assembled
Bloodletter -purchased & assembled
Restless Spirit -painted
Evil Tree -painted -Looking for a better model
Skeletons 2D6 -purchased
Spawn -purchased & assembled
Dog Pack 2D3 -purchased & assembled
Pit Fighter -painted
Plague Victims/Mob D6 -purchased & assembled
Sisters Matriarch -painted
Flagellants D3  -purchased & assembled
Giant Spider -purchased & assembled

« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 09:55:39 PM by Koyote »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2023, 10:33:14 PM »
Just caught up with all your additions to your Carnival warband.  Really great work.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2023, 05:20:26 PM »
Last night I took inventory of the assembled, but unpainted, models for my Random Happenings project.

For the 'Plague Victims' I'm using a few Mordheim Frenzied Mob models and couple of other quirky civilian models. So that I can use the models in other scenarios and for other purposes, I'm not going to paint on them obvious signs of plague.

The 'dog pack' needs new bases, but aside from that, these models should be ready for paint.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:22:06 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2023, 06:39:25 PM »
Tuesday night, The Company of Fools (Carnival of Chaos) and Middenheimers battled around the base of an abandoned windmill in a treasure grab scenario.

On Turn 2, The Fools’ Carnival Master blew a hole in the Middenheimers’ left wing with his Pestilence spell, taking 2 henchmen out-of-action and knocking down a third. This caused the Middenheimers to abandon their right flank to shore up the left. This reshuffling gave The Fools a temporary numeric advantages on both flanks, which they exploited to secure 3 of the 5 treasure markers and take out two more henchmen.

Five or six turns into the game, things were looking pretty grim for the Middenheimers, so deciding that discretion is the better part of valor, the sons of Ulric turned tail and ran, like the cowardly dogs they are.  😉

The MVP for the Fools was the Carnival Master, Festos Poxmonger, for giving The Fools the early advantage.

The MVP for the Middenheimers was the Wolf Priest, who in melee, put 2 Carnival henchmen out-of-action, and knocked down a third. The Fools got their revenge by killing wretched Priest’s pet wolf.

The Carnival suffered one henchman killed and no heroes injured. The Middenheimer’s wolf died, but all of their other henchmen recovered. Also, their Youngblood suffered a hand injury, reducing him to WS 1.  Both warbands escaped with a fair amount of loot.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:14:17 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2023, 07:04:14 AM »
I spent much of this weekend’s hobby-time working on the prepainted ‘Sundered Empire’ kit from Black Site Studios. Thank goodness that the MDF sheets are lettered and numbered. Huge improvement over TT Combat that I recently built.

Pictured below are almost all the kit’s pieces (minus 4 of the wood platforms). Piled up and crammed tight together they cover a 24” x 24” area, so once spread out it covers a good amount of table space. None of the stacked sections are glued together. Even the corner crenellations and ruined sections with the windows rest in place without glue.

The raised wooden sections are a bit odd for this kit. They look like docks and piers. Perhaps they are supposed to be construction scaffolding?

What I like most about the kit are the flat, raised stone structures and the broken sections of raised roads. The kit will give my boards some of the height and raised walkways that you saw on old GW studio boards.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:14:51 AM by Koyote »

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2023, 08:00:06 AM »
That terrain does look impressive, and so did your game.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #188 on: February 27, 2023, 04:33:31 PM »
Good to know that those kits are easy to work with. And I will echo blacksoilbill, your game looked great!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2023, 06:12:29 PM »
Good to know that those kits are easy to work with. And I will echo blacksoilbill, your game looked great!
Thanks.

Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to play against a Possessed warband in a modified version of the the Defend the Find scenario.  Since the campaign takes place in Mousillon, the defenders are not protecting a hoard of wyrdstone, rather, the defending warband is simply sheltering inside a building after a long day of searching and exploring Mousillon. The attacker's motivation is rob the defenders and to eject them from the attacker's 'territory'.

Unlike Defend the Find, there is no extra wyrdstone reward for being in the building at the end of the game. Instead a bonus +1 XP reward for Heroes and Hired Swords (from both sides) who are within 6" of the building at the end of the game.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:03:39 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2023, 05:59:13 AM »
All the models I need for the Random Happenings rules.  The zombies serve as Skeletons and the townsfolk serve as Plague Victims.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2023, 05:27:47 PM »
Last night my Carnival of Chaos squared off against a Possessed warband in a modified version of Defend the Find

As the defenders, the Possessed deployed in cover within a central ruined tower.  Aware that the Possessed have some really tough close combat warriors and a few models with a 10" charge, my Carnival spent the first few turns approaching cautiously, taking pot-shots with bows, and failing, over-and-over, to cast Pestilence. Grrr.

When the two warbands finally got to grips with one another, it was mostly a sad pillow fight, with both sides rolling terrible and relatively few casualties suffered.  One comically example was when Brute with 3 attacks and armed with a 2H weapon charged a puny henchman, the Carnival strongman whiffed all 3 rolls to-hit.  In return, the henchman took out the hulking Brute with a conk on the head with a mace -one of the very few criticals rolled by either side.

Overall, compared to the sheer number of attacks made by both sides and my Carnival Master successfully casting Pestilence twice against the grouped up Possessed warband, due to poor die rolls, relatively few casualties were suffered on either side. I even managed to get a charge off against an Possessed's Magister, but the best I could do is knock him down.

Around turn 6, the Carnival had suffered 3 casualties and the Possessed had suffered 4 or 5. Fearing additional losses from the 3 or 4 Possessed who were knocked down or stunned, the Possessed Magister elected to voluntarily route.

During the post-battle sequence, the fallen Brute recovered, but suffered horrible scars.  One of my archer henchmen died, but the archer henchman group (Noigle's Darts) got an advance and rolled Lads Got Talent.  Thus the unit lost 2 members, one to death and one to promotion. The Possessed lost a single henchman brethren and his injured hero recovered fully.

The Possessed with their 2 wound T4 Beastmen henchmen (my opponent fielded 3) and T4 Possessed are a tough nut to crack.  If my opponent had rolled better, he would have shredded me.  The Carnival got the best of the Possessed this time, but I doubt that I will be so lucky in the future.

Here are some shots of the game. If you look closely you can see my Carnival Master casually hanging out in the ruined convict cage wagon.  Perhaps if he had taken the fight more seriously, he would have done better with his Pestilence spell.  ;)

While I didn't play on this table, it incorporates my new Blacksite Studios terrain.  This table hosted a game between Marienburgers and Middenheimers, playing the same scenario I played against the Possessed.  The attackers (Middenheimers) won.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 04:34:53 PM by Koyote »

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2023, 05:45:09 PM »
Nice. Who makes the mats being used?

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2023, 06:19:28 PM »
Excellent!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2023, 07:29:11 PM »
Nice. Who makes the mats being used?
Both mats are 48" x 48" Tablewar F.A.T. Mats. 

The lighter colored mat with large cobblestones is the Iron Kingdoms City Streets mat and the darker mat is the Cobble Town mat.

https://tablewar.com/collections/fatmats