Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:27:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)  (Read 74654 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
Re: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2023, 07:54:39 PM »
The converting and painting on that Empire hero are top-notch. Like you, even though I love the rest of the mini, I always felt like it looked as if he skipped leg day. Also looking forward to the Don Quixote warband - I love that freelancer miniature! What do you have planned for Sancho Panza?
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2023, 08:23:25 PM »
The converting and painting on that Empire hero are top-notch. Like you, even though I love the rest of the mini, I always felt like it looked as if he skipped leg day. Also looking forward to the Don Quixote warband - I love that freelancer miniature! What do you have planned for Sancho Panza?
Don Quixote and Sancho are already painted. 

Sancho is a converted model using primarily bits from the GW Bretonnian Men-at-Arms plastic kit and a bit of greenstuff. I used the tonsured head from the Bretonnian kit and added a hat from the Mordheim human mercenary sprue.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2023, 09:21:28 PM »
Wow.  amazing painting; well done

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #228 on: March 22, 2023, 06:39:08 AM »
You always do great work mate, but I particularly like that pair. Windmills watch out! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #229 on: March 22, 2023, 01:03:22 PM »
Great work: two real characters there.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #230 on: March 22, 2023, 06:17:17 PM »
I played my second game with my Estalian warband, The Men of La Mancha.

Once again, our fourth player was out, so instead of playing two separate 1 on 1 games, we played another 3-way game, but this time my buddies decided to try out new warbands, Bretonnian Brigands and Undead.  We played the A Pox On All Of Your Houses again, which is my version of the Frenzied Mob scenario from Town Cryer #27. 

I rolled lowest for table edge selection, so I ended up sandwiched between the other two warbands. To counter this disadvantage, I kept my warband together and focused on the stronger of the two warbands, the Undead. Fortunately for me, the Pox Ridden Peasants kept the Bretonnian Brigands busy for most of the scenario, and the Undead player divided his warband in order to loot two buildings. This gave me the breathing room to move up, dispatch some troublesome peasants, loot a building, and focus my attention on the one half of the Undead warband (the half without the Vampire).

My ranged attacks weren't nearly as effective as they were in my last game.  My two best shooters of the game were my hired swords. My Warlock, Cide the Arabyan, blasted the enemy Necromancer with Silver Arrows of Arya through a narrow window, stunning the vile conjurer of the dead.  On the following turn, Cide closed in on the cowardly Necromancer as he tried to crawl away, shredding him with magical arrows, and taking him out of action.   During my last turn of the game, Gines, my Halfling Scout, got off an amazing shot that resulted in a ricochet critical, that stunned one Bretonnian Brigand henchman and knocked out-of-action a Brigand hero.

My Champion Ferdinand proved to be a disappointment. First, he missed with shiny new dueling pistol, then on the following turn her charged a pox-ridden peasant, only to whiiff all of his attacks and get clubbed down.  Conversely, my other Champion, Diego, proved himself worthy of the title, taking a total of 3 opponents out of action.  Sancho, my Youngblood, brought down a Ghoul and survived both scurrilous attacks on his parentage and a couple of shots from Brigand bowmen. Aldonza looted a building during game play, and post game, survived a collapsing hovel and recovered a handful of gold crowns.  My fearless leader, Alonso Quijano, with the aid of a henchman and my hapless halfling, dispatched the very last pox ridden peasant on the table.  Killing peasants can be hard work, but apparently not enough to earn my Alonso an advance this game.

With most of the Vampire's warband destroyed, it failed its rout test and fled the table. A turn later, after losing its last hero, the Bretonnian Brigands did the same.  While both warbands were savaged during the game, the Undead was the only warband to permanently lose a model, a Dire Wolf.  My champion, Ferdinand fully recovered, as did my halberdier, who was also clubbed down by a peasant. 

After paying my hired swords and hiring another henchman, I had enough gc left over to buy Ferdinand a mace and to purchase 3 cloves of garlic, in expectation of my next encounter with the Vampire, who now has 3 wounds. Yikes!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:23:18 PM by Koyote »

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #231 on: March 23, 2023, 10:54:32 PM »
Sancho Panza looks great! That's a nice conversion - I've always thought that the friar-type mini in that archers box (or was it the men-at-arms box) was excellent conversion fodder. I was also thinking - the Freelancer model has a mounted version too - does that mean that there's a Rocinante in the works too?

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #232 on: March 24, 2023, 04:48:49 AM »
Sancho Panza looks great! That's a nice conversion - I've always thought that the friar-type mini in that archers box (or was it the men-at-arms box) was excellent conversion fodder. I was also thinking - the Freelancer model has a mounted version too - does that mean that there's a Rocinante in the works too?
I have the mounted Freelancer, but never painted it. In Mordheim the disadvantages of being mounted tend to outweigh the advantages. The one exception is the Roadwarden, but the Mordheim Roadwarden model is boring, so I converted and painted the mounted Mordheim Reikland Captain to serve as my Roadwarden.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2023, 02:01:37 PM »
An armored, peg-leg chicken?

Yes, please!  I'll take 2!

I often find myself grabbing lots of minis that just interest me, without any real plan or army in mind, as well.  However, I haven't seen that mini line before.  So thank you for introducing me to it.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2023, 07:41:01 PM »
I finished the Flagellants that I need for my Random Happenings project.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 11:44:36 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2023, 11:36:58 PM »
Last weekend, I played a game of Mordheim with a buddy who hasn’t played in 19 years. My buddy fielded Witch Hunters, using the printed Minaturas Ezipion halfling witch hunter sculpts, and I used my Pirates.

The Halfling Witch Hunters got off to an early lead by shooting down two Pirate crewmen, forcing the sea dogs to fall back behind cover to consolidate their forces. However, once the Pirates got to grips with hairy footed pilgrims, the tables turned.  Over the course of 2 turns of melee, the Pirates took out 4 warhounds and a flagellant, losing only a single hero (a cabin boy) in return.

Post game, my two injured crewmen and hero fully recovered.  I hired another henchman, and bought 4 clubs and 2 cat o’ nine tails to up-arm my Heroes and crossbowmen.

My cabin boy, Flask, survived the battle without a scratch, but is required to miss the next game because he fell into a barrel of fetid water during the exploration phase. Flask has only a single XP, so at this point the best course of action is to strip Flask of his weapons, retire the lad, and hire a new cabin boy.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 12:29:01 AM by Koyote »

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2023, 04:47:21 AM »
A wonderful setup. 

A poor reward for the Cabin boy who made it through the fight....booo  ;)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #237 on: March 28, 2023, 05:07:09 AM »
A wonderful setup. 

A poor reward for the Cabin boy who made it through the fight....booo  ;)
What do you expect? Pirates are heartless bastards. ☠️
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 08:31:45 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2023, 09:10:32 PM »
The Men of La Mancha suffered their first defeat in a game against the savage Middenheimers.

The fight started out well enough, with the Middenheimer losing three models and the Estalians suffering no losses in return.  Everything changed when my warband's leader, Alonso Quijano, inspired by his namesake, made a poorly supported, quixotic  charge into the Middenheimer's right flank.  Alonso struck down the target of his charge, but in the subsequent turn he was counter charged and laid low by a bladed critical (2 wounds, +2 to injury roll, & no armor save).  So much for Alonso's being protected by his shiny new suit of Ithilmar armor.

At this point my dice went cold, and my opponent's dice heated up.  Over the next two turns I threw almost everything I had at the Middenheimers, but couldn't cause the one additional casualty I needed to force the Middenheimers to start taking rout tests. Meanwhile, the Middenheimers took out-of-action 3 Estalian henchmen and knocked down or stunned 3 of my remaining 4 Estalian Heroes. Seeing the writing on wall, I elected to voluntarily rout.

Post game, 2 of my 3 injured henchmen recovered and I rolled a 13 on the injury table (i.e. Dead) for my leader, Alonso.  However, in this campaign, when a post-game injury results in the permanent loss of the leader, that result is ignored and the Leader fully recovers, but as a penalty the Leader earns no XP for scenario.  This is a bummer because Alonso needed only 1 XP for an advance, however, I can't complain too much -at least he's still alive.

On a more positive note, almost every hero and henchman group got an advance roll.  This produced a mixed bag of results, with the best outcome being a Lads Got Talent result, promoting a Marksman to a hero. 

I used the gold crowns earned in the scenario to buy a new Marksman, some weapons (including a morning star of Alonso), and some torches and garlic. The former is for the Orc Mob's Troll and the latter is for the Undead warband's vampire.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 09:15:42 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2023, 07:22:03 PM »
I finished Aldonza Del Toboso, the Young Blood in my Estalian warband, and the Ogre hired sword for my Random Happenings project. 

The Aldonza model (a Heresy Lab miniature) was originally holding a knife behind her back.  I replaced it with a mace.  I painted her skirt, blouse, apron, and hair to match that of Sophia Loren in the musical, Man of La Mancha.

The Ogre is an Avatars of War 3D print that I bought from a seller on Etsy.  Aside from adding the cobblestones to base and adding the rat and bones, I made no changes to the model.

Beauty and the Beast

I also re-shot my flagellants.  Sometimes photographing models against a white background works for me, and sometimes, as in the case of the flagellants, it washes the models out.  I'm much happier with the results in the photo below.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 09:06:15 PM by Koyote »