Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690963
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Forgotten World - Fireforge's new fantasy range  (Read 24848 times)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: [Kickstarter] Forgotten World - Fireforge's new fantasy range
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2018, 07:06:36 AM »
not jet funded  :'( Doesn't look that good. Funding is quite a stretch away, sadly. Keeping fingers crossed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »
I think it will just about get there in the end but as a set of products it is uninspiring, even the guys behind it seem unable to put the effort into promoting and selling their game around the web.

Figures are OK but nothing special (decent human and undead plastics are pretty common already), the scenery is a rehash of stuff already available and from the overview the rules look pretty standard.
But that would not be a problem if it was cheap enough, however it isn't. The KS prices are pretty much what you will pay at retail from the online discount sellers anyway, you may as well use your money now backing other projects with more "bang for your buck" and pick up any Fireforge fantasy plastics you want when they hit retail late next year.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2018, 03:57:18 PM »
Though of course they wont be available at retail if the kickstarter fails to reach the target amount........

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
I expected this to smash through the ceiling. No clue why it stopped cold. It just might be that fantasy wargaming has it's limits.
That , and there's a bit too much core product and not enough fluff.
More Add-on's such as nifty resin bits, videos about the rules and the minis might've helped.
It's a shame - I would've liked to see this succeeding much quicker.
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Wulko

• Assistant
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
I'm also suprised by this. I guess fluff is more important than people think. Also I think that their core customers are historical gamers who might have little interest in fantasy?

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »
I think lack of advertising hasn't helped.

Especially when you consider that there was some advertisement for the campaign prior to it starting on places like Beasts of War etc.

As soon as the Campaign started though I haven't seen anything from these new outlets.

I also suspect ever sine they started advertising other products some people may have decided not to fund this and simply wait until the Peasants Box or Orcs etc come available.

Personally I disagree with comments that they're not original; the Humans in this KS are way different than other plastic manufacturers like GW (Renaissance Fantasy humans) and Oathmark (Dark Age Fantasy humans) everything else is historical and it'd be nice to have some generic fantasy humans that fit a (armour wise) High Medieval setting.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2018, 09:19:07 PM »
Though of course they wont be available at retail if the kickstarter fails to reach the target amount........

Given that they appear to have sculpted all the figures and laid out the frames already, I think it’s a possibility that the main sets here will make it into production sooner or later, with or without the Kickstarter. Presumably they will just take a much longer time to come out, as they rally the funds to invest the production costs set by set...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:24:16 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2018, 10:18:10 PM »
Maybe. Though it could be a very long wait. Fireforge have been around for some time now, five or six years?. In that period they have released one box per year, give or take. So if you wait for retail, in theory it could well be five or six years down the line. And that's if fireforge decide to go ahead with the line. Most of the cost is in the tooling of the plastic frames, the digital sculpting upfront is peanuts in comparison - ditto getting a resin master printed and painted.  I believe it's around fifteen thousand for a box to be tooled? If they have to fund that from profits/loans, then it could be a very long wait. So they could just as easily decide to can the whole thing with a little loss made.

Today the funding has gone negative. The total has gone down. It needs some drastic upturn to be saved now.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2018, 07:44:25 AM »
I suppose there are 2 ways to go when launching a new game, a big launch like this and a long piecemeal launch like Oathmark.

I'm not sure its a fair comparison, but the latter model looks more succesful.

It doesnt help that the marketing budget seems to be tiny and that people keep comparing this kickstarter to CMONs GoT kickstarter. They're entirely different beasts, the latter appealing to both miniature gamers and board gamers.

Offline Wulko

• Assistant
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2018, 10:31:44 AM »
Northstar is already a strong name for fantasy with their Frostgrave line and CMON has maybe the second biggest fantasy franshise ever? So the competition is really tough. I think they would have been better of making their fantasy minis the same quality and price as their historicals.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »
I disagree, there's a gap in the market for a higher quality fantasy plastic range. Something in between the typical historical stuff and the GW stuff - in terms of quality and price. Nobody fills that niche as yet, so I think they have identified a real opportunity.

Releasing six boxes (or more) in one step was maybe a little ambitious. Then again, lots of players want the certainty of a big(ish) range being available straight away and would not back a drip, drip approach of one box every few months. It's a tricky one to call for sure.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2018, 02:55:30 PM »
The goal of releasing a complete range (or indeed two: living and dead) seems a good one if it can realistically be funded. Most game systems would require a range of troop types (basic/elite, missile/melee, infantry/cavalry), and I know many people look forward to more variety in the Oathmark ranges, now consisting of a single box per fantasy race (goblin/dwarf/elf/human).
The current Fireforge campaign looks rather unfocussed however, with e.g. orcs and dwarves also to be released in case of massive further investment - basically another kickstarter campaign away. The people intersted in the orcs or dwarves may well be different from those interested in the products currently on offer, resulting in either of two options: your pledge helps unlock products you don't care about, or you pledge for a product you don't care about in the hope of unlocking one you do like. Neither seems particulary practical.

Add the fact that the products are due to be produced anyway (if perhaps slightly later) and of course the little matter of people interested in Westerosi miniatures having a pile of CMON Starks to paint already, and it isn't an ideal strategy by the looks of things.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fireforgegames/927490714?ref=558303&token=630d2b53

They have added the follow up characters as available at funding rather than as stretch goals and are offering some new resin shields (and existing Deus Vult shields) as add ons.

Looks like they are trying to increase the value of the pledges but still do not seem to realise that they stand more chance of making this a success if they give incentives to smaller backers (the 2,3 or 4 boxes) rather than trying to push the starter and big set pledges which have not brought in the support they hoped.

Just passed the €100k so slowly the total is getting there but I get the impression FF are looking at this from a retail return point of view rather than as a future investment.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:19:18 AM by robh »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2018, 02:40:29 PM »
I assumed this one would have funded by now, not necessarily smashing through the goal but solidly unlocking the first few things.

I wonder if the Kickstarter bubble is finally bursting (I for one am done backing all-in big box games) or if there are other factors involved.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2018, 04:53:32 PM »
There was a level of negativity I'd normally associate with a CMoN release over on DakkaDakka. I'm not sure if it's just a reflection of general KS burnout in the community but there are certainly people who take an unreasonable dislike to some projects and are eager to let everyone else know how they feel.