Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:18:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle of the Trident - ASoIaF project  (Read 14561 times)

Offline Whyarecarrots

• Assistant
Re: The Battle of the Trident - ASoIaF project
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2018, 12:00:45 AM »
Thanks for the kind words all :)

Some very creative kitbashing and effective painting. Keep going with the hand painted sigils - it gets easier!
I went for the same Tully trout ;)

In the novels, by the way, the Tully livery is described as vertical red and blue stripes with a leaping salmon sigil. The HBO version with the wavy lines is the invention of Messrs. Benioff, Weiss or their production designer.

I'm finding it is gradually. I decided to go for the halved shields for ease, but may well go for the vertical stripes when I get around to painting banners for them. I am also finding that it's helpful to take some artistic licence with heraldry - House Darry (black ploughman on brown) have had their sigil replaced with just a black plough!

I've been busy over the last couple of days - have painted and based another 20+ models and added glop to the base of another 30+. I'll take some photos at the weekend when I get some natural light. Those 30 are now the only models from the first flurry of kit-bashed models made a couple of years ago that are unpainted, so I'm getting very close to allowing myself to build more!

Offline Whyarecarrots

• Assistant
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2019, 09:41:19 AM »
Sorry for the slight delay in adding more to this thread. I've had a fair bit of painting done and just have failed to update this thread.

As mentioned in the last update, I've added significantly to the Royalist forces. I've tried to add in a variety of less well known houses, rather than relying solely on large forces from the great houses. This means I've painted lots of different sigils and colours, based on a combination of canon and semi-canon sources (i.e. I've spent too many hours trawling the wiki!).

Anyway, without further ado, onto some photos!

Royalists:

A mixture of House Dondarrion troops from the Stormlands (I have placed them on the Royalist side because of some historical ties between their family and House Targaryen) and House Darry troops from the Riverlands (a noted Royalist house from the Riverlands) including Jonothor Darry, knight of the Kingsguard.

Troops from House Rykker (from the Crownlands) and House Connington (from the Stormlands - presumably troops from the remainder of Jon Connington's defeated host from the Battle of the Bells).

A miscellaneous selection of Royalist troops. Two men at arms from House Targaryen (one of whom will have a banner when I work out how to do those), a man at arms from House Tarly (Reach) and two troops from House Florent (Reach).

Rebels:

Even though I focussed heavily on Royalists, I have still painted a variety of troops for the rebels. Predominately forces from the Riverlands, from House Tully and House Mallister. I did also paint a single man at arms from House Mormont (North).

Since painting and photographing this lot I have painted the last 15 or so of the first tranche of models that were assembled back in 2016. I'll put up photos soon. What this does mean is that I am now allowed to start assembling more models, and have purchased from Perry Miniatures Cavalry and some Frostgrave and Oathmark infantry in preparation for kitbashing some more.

In the meantime, thanks for looking!

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2019, 09:59:20 AM »
Lovely paint jobs - the freehand sigils look the part for me - I’d originally been tempted by transfer but think I’ll give the freehand a go myself.

:)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2019, 11:06:24 AM »
Great job on the heraldry! And yay for more kitbashing. I've really enjoyed working the Oathmark models into my collection, they are a little shorter and stouter than Perry, but I don't find that they look out of scale.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2019, 12:30:39 PM »
Splendid kitbashing on a great many factions!  8)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »
Some excellent work with your forces!

I'm especially impressed with the Connington heraldry! Lovely work!

Offline Whyarecarrots

• Assistant
Re: The Battle of the Trident - ASoIaF project (6 January more painted models)
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2019, 10:26:35 PM »
Thanks for the kind words all :)

@Ogrob - I am still waiting for them to arrive, although a sprue of Frostgrave soldiers has arrived, and I'm excited to see what I can do with them.

@HappyChappy439 - Thanks! I am very happy with how the Connington sigil turned out, although it was a pain to paint...

Speaking of kitbashing, I have now based the final 15 (photos to follow) so that means that the box of shame has been brought in from the garage!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:46:06 PM by Whyarecarrots »

Offline Whyarecarrots

• Assistant
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2019, 12:16:48 AM »
Some assembly has now happened! I bought single sprues of the Frostgrave Soldiers and Oathmark Human Infantry to try them out and see if it's worth buying more. Overall I think there are some good pieces on both sprues, and the bodies are a helpfully different style to the other soldiers, making them suitable for slightly different looking troops from the Vale*. My only issue with them is that the overall style is more noticeably "fantasy" than even the Fireforge models - I'm hoping that the slight scale issues will be fixed with some paint.

Anyway, onto some photos!

The two on the left here are straight builds from the Frostgrave Soldiers box, the spearman has arms from the Perry HYW French and a Fireforge helmet (in my mind looted by his grandfather and something of a family heirloom), and the axeman has Frostgrave arms and otherwise Perry HYW French pieces.

The spearman and axeman are both straight builds from the Oathmark Human Infantry box, while the other three on the left are mixtures of Oathmark, Frostgrave, Fireforge and Perry HYW English pieces. A few slight scale issues with the heads I think the pieces fit together quite well. A Targaryen infantryman has snuck in on the right of this photo as well, using a head from the Perry European Mercenaries command sprue.

As a quick related question, does anyone know if the European Mercenaries set has more Italian style barbute helmets in? I really like it but it doesn't seem efficient having to buy a whole command sprue to just get one.

Thanks for looking!

*In my patented (and entirely head-canoned) relative wealths of the regions, the Vale is one of the less wealthy regions, however what wealth there is is funnelled more into cavalry, so they will have lots of well equipped heavy cavalry, but their infantry is particularly shabby.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2019, 11:38:27 PM »
There are two barbute style helmets on the command frame for the Perry European mercenaries set, one Romanesque style, and one with the straight T shaped opening. But you do get two command frames in the set, so four barbutes. And don’t forget you can but the command frames separately in the accessories section of the Perrys online plastic ranges store...These are the only barbutes from amongst the 70 or so different heads in the five different Perry WOTR era plastic sets! Sadly  :)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 01:18:50 AM »
I think there's a set of Italian heads that Perry does as part of the European Armies range where you get 12 or so barbute heads (out of 36 heads), but they're metals, as a heads up!

Offline Whyarecarrots

• Assistant
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2019, 11:56:13 AM »
There are two barbute style helmets on the command frame for the Perry European mercenaries set, one Romanesque style, and one with the straight T shaped opening. But you do get two command frames in the set, so four barbutes. And don’t forget you can but the command frames separately in the accessories section of the Perrys online plastic ranges store...These are the only barbutes from amongst the 70 or so different heads in the five different Perry WOTR era plastic sets! Sadly  :)

That is annoying! I have one Mercenary command sprue, but buying another for just 2 barbutes is a bit much...

I think there's a set of Italian heads that Perry does as part of the European Armies range where you get 12 or so barbute heads (out of 36 heads), but they're metals, as a heads up!

Thanks for the heads up on that pack - it looks pretty handy so I may have to grab one at some point :)

Looking more at the recent builds, I think I've realised that the heads on the Oathmark sprue are just too large, even for their own bodies, let alone to be added onto the smaller Perry bodies. Its a a shame because I like the designs of the bodies, but the heads are unusable and the weapons are pretty awful. The Frosrtgrave soldiers are a bit better in terms of heads and weapons, but the bodies are a bit too ramshackle to use a lot of them. Think I might have to look at the Conquest Normans again...

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2019, 07:34:07 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on that pack - it looks pretty handy so I may have to grab one at some point :)

I've just realised in retrospect that me saying "heads up" in the context of buying Barbutes is a terrible pun and I apologise!  lol

Offline Whyarecarrots

• Assistant
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
I've just realised in retrospect that me saying "heads up" in the context of buying Barbutes is a terrible pun and I apologise!  lol

If it helps I didn't even notice the pun, so my response wasn't deliberately carrying it on...

I had some exciting post arrive yesterday:

And I've assembled some cavalry out of them! A rough plan is to use the HYW cavalry for knights from the Vale, the Crownlands and the North, and the WotR cavalry for the Reach, the Riverlands and the Targaryens.

Just straight builds from the box for now (with a Fireforge shield added on one) and I am very impressed by the quality of these models so far

More kit bashes will come as I get more imaginative!

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2019, 12:11:59 PM »
They really look the part, and that is even without any conversion/part swaps

:)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2019, 03:36:56 PM »