Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:51:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Russian Napoleonic Guard Artillery  (Read 1497 times)

Offline JohnFoA

• Librarian
Russian Napoleonic Guard Artillery
« on: July 24, 2018, 10:17:47 PM »
Need some help

Up till now I'd thought the Russian Guard followed standard organisation in each battery
Position - 4@Med, light 12pdr and 20Pdr How
Light     - 8 6pdr and 4 10pdr How
Horse    - 6 @ 6pdr and 10pdr How

BUT recently read up sources offering
Position and Light 16 gun -no breakdown but thinking 12 guns & 4 hows
Horse only 8 barrels again no breakdown but 4 of each type

Any ideas/Info to help me?

ta

John
On the balance the helicopter gunship is also mightier than the sword

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Russian Napoleonic Guard Artillery
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 10:38:26 PM »
Partridge and Oliver state that the Guard had heavy companies of 2 light 12lb guns, 4 medium 12lb guns, 4 18lb licornes and 1 2lb licorne (detached to the rear).

Light companies had 5 medium 6lb guns and 5 10lb licornes.

Tbe horse company had 5 6lb guns and 5 10lb licornes.

Apparently the 20 guns and licornes from the 2 light companies were attached in 2 piece sections to each Guard infantry battalion.

By 1812 they were reorganised into brigades of 3 companies, each with 2 heavy and 2 light companies. Heavy companies were 8 12lb guns and 4 18lb licornes. Light and horse companies were 8 6lb guns and 4 9lb licornes.

All from The Napoleonic Handbook, The British Army and her Allies, Partridge and Oliver. P223 and 225.

Offline ZaOtlichiye

• Student
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:05:48 PM »
That is correct for the early period. (The 3pdr unicorns were intended for the L-g. Jaeger.)
The second part is a little confused. When the artillery brigades were organized - 1806-7, everyone took the same standard organization: battery coys: 4 med. 12pdr, 4 short 12pdr, 4 1/2 pood unicorns; light coys: 8 6pdr, 4 1/4 pood unicorns; horse coys: 6 horse 6pdr, 6 1/4 pood unicorns.
This was true for the 5 coys of Leib-garde artillery too, but in 1811 the horse coy was split to form two companies, each with 4 horse 6pdr and 4 1/4 pood unicorns. There was also a section (2 pieces) of 6pdr for the Guard Equipage.

You  might find:
http://zaotlichiye.net63.net/allfacings.html
useful.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »
That looks like a very interesting site, thanks for sharing the link.

Offline JohnFoA

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »
Thanks, I will follow up on the link. But based on your info the Gd Horse Art was eight barrels per company. If (and I am entering the realm of speculation) this had split in two without reinforcement, then it would have been 16 barrel single company initially.  Which would mean it matched the 16 barrel companies that Haythornewaite suggests for the remainder of the Guard Artillery Brigade in uniforms of the Retreat from Moscow.

Anyone else?

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:11:19 PM »
No, you've misread the information on Jonathan Gingerich's "Russian Facings" page, where under the L-Guard Artillery, he specifically states: "When the brigades were organized in 1806-7, the five L-g. companies took the standard 12 piece organization for a total of 60 pieces."  Hard to see where you're getting hung up on 8 piece companies.

Offline JohnFoA

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 12:03:31 AM »
Sorry but the confusion arises for later period when the Horse Guard company is split into two. The number of guns has been listed as 64 in six companies. However in Retreat from Moscow Haythornewaite specifically says guard had 16 barrels per company, except Horse Artillery with eight.

It is first I have come across these numbers and am just testing. Another source (which I cannot recall) also put Horse Guard Artillery at eight guns but hints other companies are 12.

Interested in other views/sources.

Offline ZaOtlichiye

• Student
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 05:03:29 PM »
I have a warm place in my heart for Philip. When I was a young man, and he must not have been much older, he wrote me a personal reply to a burning question I had on the Russians. Back before the internet, gents. But his book is 40 years old now and not everything holds up. That said, these numbers seem to be omitted by almost everyone and some are derived implicitly.

Offline JohnFoA

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 10:11:31 PM »
Hi ZaOtlichiye

So finally read all through the link. Yes. Found the explanation of Guard Artillery development. That makes perfect sense. It is pretty much what I had thought except for the smaller initial size of Light/Horse companies.

A belated thank you.