Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:17:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. Longbows 24/2  (Read 59895 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's SAGA and Dark Age stuff. Shieldmaidens 30/6
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2022, 09:58:57 PM »
Well, it's been a few months so time to revive this thread I guess.

I at some point recently grabbed the last pack of V&V irish slingers, some nice old geezers to complement the young lads above. While painting these I also went ahead and painted the four slingers I got as part of Footsore's Welsh kickstarter. I will use these as Irish and stick to archers in my future Welsh forces.

Getting close to the point where I have replaced all the original Irish kitbashes in this thread with models that did not exist when that project began. Just need to make some WGA/Victrix slinger kitbashes.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ogrob's SAGA and Dark Age stuff. Irish slingers 22/9
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2022, 10:42:43 PM »
Those look great! I like the sense of motion in a lot of the sculpts, not a lot of figures really capture that effectively.

Just curious, are the models fairly durable? Some of the parts look delicate and I would be terrified of breaking them!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2022, 10:26:51 AM »
Probably a bit fragile. The V&V resin has some flex so it is more  durable than it looks but parts are thin. The Footsore minis are metal, mostly I'm concerned about the released sling which may bend.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2022, 09:19:57 PM »
Right, going to be quite a few pictures on here, so let us get on with it. Managed to finish a chunk of models in the last few days, which gets a couple of projects to the stage where I can show a load of photos.

First, I finished this load of slingers, four Footsore welsh and four kitbashed WGA/victrix plastics. Painted as Irish to join my SAGA irish force.

This means I have 24 slingers, composed of V&V resins, Footsore metals and a few plastic kitbashes:

And those 24 levy slingers finish a project I never really set out on, which is to completely redo the irish army that started this entire thread. When I began making my irish force four years ago, there were few decent irish minis on the market and I wanted to do a plastic kitbash. Since then, we have been treated to Victrix entire dark age range (excellent source for kitbashing), WGAs decent plastic irish, V&Vs irish range and Footsore's welsh range sculpted by Matt Bickley.

As a result, my irish force now looks like this:

Rather than like this:

It seems every single mini except the original Warlord has been replaced. So I decided to raffle off the original army to my gaming club. I am keeping the original Warlord though, so as you can see in the "old" photo, there is a simple WGA plastic Irish warlord. I painted this guy up with the purpose of raffling off an all plastic army.

Secondly, I've also managed to get started on a Welsh SAGA force using Footsore miniatures. The core is the kickstarter from earlier this year, but I am supplementing with some more Matt Bickley sculpts. Rather than source Welsh minis that do not share a sculpting style, I am aiming to make this a 100% Bickley force, by supplementing with his Saxons as well as some Antedilivian Islemen. I figure there will be overlap in styles along the eastern border.

Here's what I have so far:

Warlord:

Hearthguard:

Warriors:

Warriors with heavy weapons:

Levy with bows:

What do you think?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's SAGA and Dark Age stuff. Big update on SAGA irish and welsh 30/10
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2022, 11:49:09 PM »
Really impressive forces here!

The bright blue accents on the Welsh colour scheme are a really nice touch as well!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2022, 01:38:04 PM »
Really impressive forces here!

The bright blue accents on the Welsh colour scheme are a really nice touch as well!

Thank mate! I felt like the rich elite fellows needed a bit of pop.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2022, 03:15:11 PM »
Brilliant work! 👏🏻
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2022, 04:44:12 PM »
Agree with the others, that’s a very nice looking force. Lots of subtle details in the mix, too!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2022, 03:54:04 PM »
Fantastic to see your Footsore Welsh; I haven't seen many painted up outside of Footsore's shop. I have the knife men and archers primed and in the queue so I find your work motivating.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2022, 03:03:27 PM »
Very generous of you to raffle off an old army mate - you may have given me an idea for some of my stuff in fact.

Loving the new additions; oddly I've never played against Irish! Hope to remedy that some time.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2022, 03:59:55 PM »
Very generous of you to raffle off an old army mate - you may have given me an idea for some of my stuff in fact.

Loving the new additions; oddly I've never played against Irish! Hope to remedy that some time.

It is a fun way to make space on the shelves. I fear my club mates may think I'm a little bit insane as beside the irish I raffled off 6 pts of Epirotes (hated playing the faction, never finished painting) and my old Lannisters which is roughly another 6-8 pts in SAGA terms. The thing is that indie games like these are almost impossible to sell in Sweden, beyond possibly these few club mates, and for spare change if so.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 05:24:47 PM by Ogrob »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2022, 09:42:51 PM »
Couple more Welsh units done, getting closer to a playable force now. I will initially play these as Cymry Welsh from Age of Invasions, even though the sculpts are more 10th-11th century. The simple reason for this is that cymry get foot hearthguard without javelins, which I had nice miniatures for from the kickstarter. I will eventually paint up some mounted and javelin-equiped hearthguard and run the Age of Viking standard list as well.

So, five hearthguard. Four are really Saxons, but i figure cultural overlap. I prefer to have matching Matt Bickley sculpts over being a stickler for trouser length. The last is a bonus mini from the kickstarter. The previous set having one lad with a dane axe has bothered me a bit, so this gives me eight hand weapon and shield lads.

And then my first javelins for what is a javelin focused faction in SAGA, eight warriors. These are a mix of the different Footsore packs with javelins and spears. I've done plastic javelins and shields on most of them as I prefer that to metals. They need at least eight more stick throwing friends, maybe more.

What do you think?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Ogrob's SAGA and Dark Age stuff. Some more Bickley Welsh 19/11
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2022, 05:35:11 AM »
Looking good! 👍

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2022, 07:32:23 AM »
These are some very nice figures, with great paint jobs, but then that is what we have come to expect!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2022, 11:26:46 AM »
Very dynamic. It's a great collection  8)