Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:39:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. Starting on a victrix saxon project 26/4  (Read 60552 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's early medievals for SAGA. Victrix late romans as britons 5/6
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2023, 10:52:08 PM »
Spent the day building more Romano-British. The Victrix kits continue to be absolutely lovely. For the army, I am envisioning a british warlord returned to Britannia after serving in the roman army. He brings with him some veterans, some mercenaries and a desire to carve out a kingdom of his own. His clan makes up the bulk of the force. Conveniently this gives me an exuse for both some more Roman and some more germanic features in my army.

So warlord with a banner bearer plus companions. The warlord and banner will go on a sabot base once painted. Mostly from the armoured late roman command sprue, though the warlord head is from the unarmoured roman command sprue instead. I just loved that boar crest plus plume.

12 briton warriors, pretty much straight from the unarmoured roman sprue and command sprue. Two future unit leaders got the two facemask helms from the armoured command sprue.

And finally, a unit of roman deserters. This is a mercenary option in Age of Invasions, and they are essentially regular infantry that due to their mixed equipment can make a ranged attack per turn. I decided to model two bows, a pilum and two darts in the unit to represent this.

What do you think?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Couple more builds for the Britons. Painting is under way and should have something to show soon.

First, another four hearthguard as I had the figures, may as well build them. Small conversions with getting the rolled up cloaks (what are these called in english?) onto some figures that normally do not have them.

And then a bishop, a mercenary hero in Age of Invasions. My quick research indicated that clerical vestments were in their infancy in the 5th century, and that clergy were known to break the ban on fighting in battles for various reasons. The hero stats in SAGA indicate an armoured figure as well, so I decided on a more noble appearance and then just a staff with crucifix to indicate his religious authority. Cleary he figures family and power are important enough to break some rules and heads over.

What do you think?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
The figures in the last few posts all look quite good, they definitely should make a great post-Roman British force. I’m looking forward to seeing the units as they are painted!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
First set of warriors painted and based. Waiting on transfers to do the shields.

I decided on a limited palette for this force, with red as the focal colour. Inspired a bit by the masai, another people known for their plaid game.
Basing is rugged fields by geek gaming, and then a mix of green tufts.

What do you think?

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
Re: Ogrob's early medievals for SAGA. First romano-british painted 15/7
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2023, 02:01:19 PM »
Sweet. Ambrosius would approve!
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's early medievals for SAGA. First romano-british painted 15/7
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2023, 10:39:04 AM »
And some mercenaries got completed as well. Had some LBMS transfers left from when this was going to be a germanic project, and couldn't let them go entirely to waste.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Ogrob's early medievals for SAGA. Germanic mercenaries 16/7
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2023, 08:33:54 PM »
Good work.  TY

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2023, 08:44:54 PM »
Vortigern would approve!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2023, 10:55:31 PM »
Plugging away at this little Arthurian project. First up, finished the second mercenary unit, a squad of Roman deserters. In SAGA terms, these are plain warriors with sword and shield, but have a special rule to reflect varied equipment, allowing them a once per turn ranged attack activation. I decided to model this by having a variety of weapons in the unit, but still making sure each figure had a large shield (their second distinct rule).

And then assembled/kitbashed 12 levy with sling. Staff slings to be specific as I liked the idea, though some of them were a pain to assemble. Four connection points is at least two too many to deal with. Had to rummage thorugh the bit box for some heads as well to get variation, so we have a bit of gallic, anglo saxon and irish representation in this romano-british unit.

What do you think?

Offline peachey_c

• Bookworm
Re: Ogrob's early medievals for SAGA. Roman mercenaries 25/7
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2023, 01:30:44 AM »
These are nice, and I like the blue on the Rus.  8)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2023, 04:06:34 AM »
Awesome job on the mercenaries, they look suitably businesslike!

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2023, 08:01:54 AM »
Fantastic work! :-*

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2023, 02:36:26 PM »
Bit more work done on the britons. These are the same warriors shown previously, but now with shields as I received as shipment of Victrix transfers today. Looking forward to making some serious progress on this project now.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Ogrob's early medievals for SAGA. Romano-british warriors 28/7
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2023, 03:13:50 PM »
Looking good mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's early medievals for SAGA. Romano-british warriors 28/7
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2023, 09:32:05 AM »
Had a productive day yesterday, finishing the paintjobs on the other 12 briton warriors and built a few figures as well. That means I am done with painting warriors for this force, most of what is left is now hearthguard and heroes, which should be fun. Speaking of hearthguard I also received the final kit I needed, Victrix late roman cavalry, and build six mounted hearthguard. Gave them all face mask helments as the kit had enough of these for the unit, and did a little bit of greenstuff work to sort of cloaks.

What do you think?