Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:04:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yermak and the Conquest of Siberia  (Read 64052 times)

Offline Peter Rathgeb

• Assistant
Re: Yermak and the Conquest of Siberia
« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
The sculptor who is making these figures for Siberia Miniatures just pointed me to this thread (I had asked him for other miniatures). This is extremely interesting, and I can't wait to give my money for these figures!!!

Good job!
Peter

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
Picture of the late Middle Ages:

Modern reconstruction of this warrior:

From book:

L.A. Bobrov, Yu.S. Khudyakov - WEAPONS AND TACTICS OF NOMADS
CENTRAL ASIA AND SOUTH SIBERIA IN THE LATE OF THE LATE MIDDLE AGES AND THE EARLY NEW TIME (XV - first half of the XVIII century).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:54:28 PM by cuprum »

Offline Peter Rathgeb

• Assistant
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
Seems like there were many many ethnic groups in Siberia with a lot of ways to dress for battle.You will probably have to concentrate on a certain few as it will take you forever to do them all. lol
Mark

I agree, concentrate on the most common ones, and make more poses. And - just for me - I prefer relaxed or "waiting" poses to poses full of action. But then, I'm not a gamer, I just collect, paint and make some kind of dioramas...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:58:03 PM by Peter Rathgeb »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2018, 03:57:04 PM »
The problem is that with some tribes the Russians entered into interaction in the 16th century, with others later. Then the Russian soldiers themselves looked different.

Offline Peter Rathgeb

• Assistant
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »
The problem is that with some tribes the Russians entered into interaction in the 16th century, with others later. Then the Russian soldiers themselves looked different.

Then I think you should start with an early period for both Russians and the fitting tribes, and - if the miniatures are successful like I hope they will be - expand the range to a later timeline. Just my opinion...

Anyway, congratulations! Great project, great research!

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
My friend, the phrase you quoted refers to the beginning of the 17th century, that is, to the period after Yermak's campaign. And all people are not lazy about it. And the term "shell" does not match the term "chain mail". I do not deny the existence of chain mail from the local population, but most likely they were distributed in the more southern lands. After all, the concept of Western Siberia- this is thousands of kilometers from the circumpolar Urals to the Yenisei.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2018, 04:37:15 PM »
Thank you.

If the figures will have a demand, then of course the topic of the conquest of Siberia will be continued. Very interesting could be a series of figures on the war of Russia with the Dzungar Khanate, with China, with the Chukchi and the Yakuts. And even against the Tlingit Indians.

No, my friend, Khanty and Mansi knew how to make chain mails themselves in the 16th century, according to Bobrov and Khudyakov. And just as easily could get any armor in exchange for precious sable skins.
I also recommend that you read the book Solovyov AI. "Weapons and armor, Siberian arms from the Stone Age to the Middle Ages".

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2018, 04:49:14 PM »
I agree, concentrate on the most common ones, and make more poses. And - just for me - I prefer relaxed or "waiting" poses to poses full of action. But then, I'm not a gamer, I just collect, paint and make some kind of dioramas...

I not a gamer either but a collector and I would to have or do a diorama of this period.
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
Then I think you should start with an early period for both Russians and the fitting tribes, and - if the miniatures are successful like I hope they will be - expand the range to a later timeline. Just my opinion...

Anyway, congratulations! Great project, great research!

I agree with this. Yermak is the starting point.
Mark

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »
Here is an image of the northern warriors from this book, you yourself brought it:

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2018, 05:53:24 PM »
The caption to the picture exactly we are talking about the period after the submission of these tribes to the Russian Tsar. Wars between tribes stopped and armor became unnecessary. But this means that earlier they were still  ;)

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
I glad I started this thread as I've learned a great deal about Siberian peoples and history.And hopefully an excellent  range. ;D
Mark
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:49:40 PM by marco55 »

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »
All this I say to the fact that not all Russian soldiers had defensive weapons, as well as local soldiers. There was a light infantry without a suit without armor, and there were heavily armed infantrymen, as in this figure:

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2018, 06:42:12 PM »
And to what tribe he belongs to the warrior? Siberian Tatar, Kashgarian, Yenisei Kirghiz, Mansi, someone else? Drawings from this book - some kind of vinaigrette...

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2018, 07:06:12 PM »
If you are interested in my opinion, I would depict a heavily armed Khantian warrior. Exactly what you referred to is armor, which was kept in fortresses and issued during the war. It could be a professional warrior from the squad of the local prince.