Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Question(s) about new warlord games Desert Rats  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Re: Question(s) about new warlord games Desert Rats
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 04:54:01 AM »
Tbh Captain Blood/Cubs i've tried to get into perry miniatures but found their realistic scale/sculpt just doesn't do it for me, perry stuff looks great for massed battles but I prefer skirmish and its possible that GW has in-calculated a deep love of more heroic 28mm because I find other scales just don't interest the same way.

The faces especially just seem unfinished and it doesn't help that their small size in comparison to the rest of my minis makes them less usable with the rest of my minis.

Also agreed on the paint job...ois the painter trying to convey sunburn?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 07:45:15 AM »
Perfectly fair enough. The Perry WW2 plastics are small and fiddly. No argument there. It’s just a personal preference when it comes to style, and clearly an awful lot of people like the Commando comic Warlord look, or they wouldn’t be so successful  :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 08:37:56 AM »
It is an improvement on the Beano and Dandy look on their earlier figures, admit it.  ;)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 10:37:29 AM »
Tbh Captain Blood/Cubs i've tried to get into perry miniatures but found their realistic scale/sculpt just doesn't do it for me

Each to their own buddy, it's a broad church.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »
[...]
The Perry mins have more accurate 28mm foot-to-eye scaling and realistic proportions than a lot of the other mainstream companies,[...]
How many heads tall is a Perry figure? The only figure in the picture (of Warlord figures) linked earlier in the thread that can be assessed for proportion is the second man from the right. I clocked him in at just 5 heads tall. He might get to 5.5 heads if he was resculpted at attention! for parade ground duty. Are Perry figures as much as six heads tall?

Real humans are a minimum of SEVEN heads tall.

Unless a range of Minis climbs to the seven heads standard, quibble and debate about heights, proportion, or heroic scale seems at bit pointless to this observer.  8)
Pendrake

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 09:17:25 PM »
… urm … yeah … you crack on with that …

?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 09:42:13 PM »
 lol

At least 6 heads, wouldn’t you say? Possibly 7 or more  :)

The basic point is that the Perry figures look like reasonable facsimiles of reasonably proportioned human beings in a small scale. The Warlord figures look like wargames figures. It’s just a style thing. They have been very successful making wargames figures that look like wargames figures first and foremost, so no surprise they keep on doing it. The Perrys at least try to make figures that look like real people in miniature. But a lot of people have a marked preference for the caricature look of the traditional wargames munchkin, and fair enough. As Cubs says, it’s a broad church. Buy what you like. But that doesn’t make the quibbling pointless :)

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 09:57:08 PM »
I actually like them.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 10:22:18 PM »
I never thought I would say this but I actually like them, the Perry’s look nice also but way to small for me

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 11:45:02 PM »
Methinks they will look better with a better paint job, some of warlords current painters arent great bh.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 12:23:22 AM »
Each to their own buddy, it's a broad church.

Indeed, pay and pray where one wants. I wouldn’t even hesitate - Perry over Warlord. I’ve painted hundreds of each.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »
I never thought I would say this but I actually like them, the Perry’s look nice also but way to small for me
They are not as small (at least height wise) as you think.

Admitedly that is a Warlord Early War British metal on the left, but the middle figure is a Crooked Dice minion  (though it does not have an integral base).
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2014/04/perry-miniatures-eighth-army-comparison.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:39:04 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 03:46:50 PM »
I think it’s more the general smallness of Hans head etc, I prefer wargaming proportions

Offline Jamiethesalmon

• Schoolboy
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
I don't know if it is the lighting, but that is one hideous flesh pink they've used there. Whilst there are one or two good poses (and an arm wielding a pickaxe on the sprue!) the officer in particular looks as though he's had a heavy weight dropped on him from a great height. The faces however actually look normal for a change, I'm not a fan of these gurning caricatures that Artizan and some others turn out I'm afraid.

It’s the colour balance on the photograph, this photograph is awful, the figures are fantastic

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2018, 06:35:04 PM »
It’s the colour balance on the photograph, this photograph is awful, the figures are fantastic

And you know because...? No offense, but afaik they’re not released yet, thus I‘d really like to know your surce. To me they look rather squattish and painted like Brits on hols on Cypres 😉