Forum > Fantasy Adventures

Looking for a Miniature Dungeon Crawl Game

<< < (6/6)

Kegluneq:

--- Quote from: Kegluneq on August 15, 2018, 02:20:22 PM ---Truth.  I actually rather enjoy massive darkness, but it can take awhile to play and the campaign rules just didn't do it for me.

Miniatures are pretty brilliant, though.  With the right paint-job they fit right in with my less fantastical things, and they're a lot of fun to paint.

--- End quote ---

To be fair, I only get two evenings a week for any gaming, so it has just been a few different one-shots, yeah.  Three games were chained together in a campaign, and advancement is a little wonky.  Everyone seems to like the idea of it, but there's a lot of other games competing for time, including D&D. 

I got in on the kickstarter, so the price-per-mini was much better in my case.  That said, the minis from the base game are quite solid. 

Hobby Services:

--- Quote from: Arthadan on August 13, 2018, 04:54:29 PM ---I've heard good things about Goalsystem Delves:

http://www.four-colorstudios.com/goalsystem-delves.html

--- End quote ---

Beat me to it, but in my case it's not just "heard" - I've played it a fair bit and it does a good job of being a primarily-minis-combat version of D&D, with a pretty strong "old school" feel.  Roleplay is pretty minimal, but the combat is smooth, the character class and level system is deep enough to remain interesting for quite a while, and it's got a solid abstract "between delves" subgame where your heroes do...stuff around town when they aren't adventuring.  Big thumbs up.

driller:
hobgoblin, I was thinking doing the same with the mix of 4AD and Sellswords and Spellslingers.

mweaver:
I love skirmish games.  The best traditional fantasy-based skirmish game I have found is still Mordheim - good mechanics overall but with a particularly nice campaign advancement system.  Of course the official setting is a ruined city, but it is not hard to extrapolate to a dungeon (we have done so on a few occasions, although we usually play "upstairs".  It used to be fairly easy to find a free pdf of the rules online - not sure if that is still true.

So far the best dungeon crawl game I have played - hands down - is Shadows of Brimstone.  But instead of a traditional fantasy setting it has a "weird west" setting, so the heroes are sheriffs, gunslingers, Indian scouts, saloon girls, etc.  It has nice mechanics for exploring the mines (main setting), and there are "other world" settings to explore as well.  You do not need a GM - the mechanics are pretty clear on how the monsters run on autopilot. But the best thing about it is a really robust campaign setting between the games.  Of course if you are not interested in painting a bunch of new Western miniatures, not a good choice.  The miniatures produced for the game (by Flying Frog) are pretty hit or miss.  Each of the two "core" game variants has four different hero types, and the models for them are "meh".  The monster models tend to be better.  I mainly use Black Scorpion figures for our hero models.

-Michael

-Michael

Arthadan:
There is a new Dungeon Crawler coming to Kickstarter next October. It's called Dungeon Universalis and looks great but so far there is information about it only in Spanish (the game will be translated into English).

Translated from the creator's page (http://ludicdragon.com/dungeon-universalis):

--- Quote ---A huge Universal Compendium
Feel the experience of playing this universal system in a Fantasy World. Live the thrill of RPG adventures, strategy, and balance of wargames and cards and events of a board game.

Balance and high replayability
Dungeon Universalis is a gameboard for 2 to 6 players (though there is also a solo mode). A true homemage to classic Dungeon Crawlers. But it's much more than that because is also a universal system created so that its versatility, balance, and the number of options will allow you to use components and story backgrounds from other games, be it adventures, maps, characters, miniatures, etc., using them effortlessly with this rule set. You'll find therefore replayability is maximized.

Different game modes
Different game modes, scalable difficulty, single adventures and big campaigns. Random or predefined scenarios and a system to make your own adventures.

--- End quote ---

This is the website, but it has no content yet: http://dungeonuniversalis.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version