Forum > Fantasy Adventures

Looking for a Miniature Dungeon Crawl Game

<< < (2/6) > >>

Arthadan:

--- Quote from: Darksider on August 13, 2018, 06:05:29 PM ---Thanks for the answers. Yeah goalsystem delves, was one of the games i considered. Will have a look at it again.

--- End quote ---

I've just learnt there is a 2nd edition on preorder: https://feralgamersinc.weebly.com/delve-2nd-ed.html#

Hobgoblin:
I've long thought that the perfect dungeon crawler is a bit of a red herring. I'd either go with a top-notch skirmish game or a top-notch RPG and just ditch the role-playing elements.

For the latter, I'd recommend The Black Hack (and at two quid, you can't go far wrong ...). it's got a great resource-management system using dice (for torches, arrows, etc.) so you never quite know when you'll run out. But because it's got the traditional stats (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA) and a system of saving under them on d20, you can use it for non-combat challenges (leaping chasms, climbing cliffs, dodging boulders, etc.). You might have to allot a movement rate (five squares or whatever), but the system's really sound and simple.

Rolling up characters and buying gear is simple, quick and fun. The armour system (temporary hit points, in effect) and the resource-management stuff add a lot of tension to games.

Then it depends whether you're using a referee or not. If you are, just have him or her set up a simple dungeon and run it without the role-playing element but with all the trips, tracks and whatnot.

If not, you could randomly generate rooms, corridors and opponents using Ganesha's 4 Against Darkness and a Paizo flip mat and markets (or dungeon floorplans, if you have them, or whatever).

Between them, the two games cost less than a tenner in PDF form.

Hobgoblin:
Another thing I've done with both Whitehack (my favoured system for full-on RPG campaigns) and The Black Hack is to set up a full dungeon with floortiles and just generate/place monsters as the players go through. So no real roleplaying, but the full weight and variety of an RPG's monster rules. I blogged about that here.

Darksider:
Thank you all for your help ;).

@Commander Carnage
Is Melee and Wizard comparable to GURPs? I have Dungeon Fantasy at home, which is in some way based on GURPs and i find it kinda hard to understand.

@Arthadan
Thanks, good to know ^^.

@Hobgoblin
You're exactly saying that what i think all the time XD. Good to know that I am not the only one^^. Black Hat, I stumbled once or twice about the name, but never looked into the system. Maybe I should give it a try.
If it's possible we prefere to play without a referee or a GM or DM.

Have to rules at home for 4 Against Darkness and already had the idea to use it for generating rooms, but never tried it. Thought it wouldn't work well with pathfinder. I have everything at home from flipmats and dungeontiles (d&d boardgames), so should be easy to get some rnd dungeon together.

I did something similar, only that I used Pathfinder Beginner Box Rules. I created a Dungeon and then i used Basic Fantasy rnd room generation rules, for filling it.

Then i took the pathfinder rules and thought about a good CR for each room containing Monsters and Traps. Most of the encounters where only CR 1 or 2 as the heros only had lvl 1.

Something I want to try is two hour wargames Sword and Sorcery. Seems like something that also could fulfill my demands.
Does someone has experience with the system?=)

I also found Dark Fast Dungeon, but i don't know. Seems it's more focused on printing out tiles and minis for the game.

The Bibliophile:
Not that this will scratch your itch today, but I have been developing and playtesting for about 18 months now what I have always wanted in a miniatures-based dungeon crawler. I hope to get it in good enough shape to be able to release it to the world in the next few months. Essentially it's a head-to-head dungeon crawl system with good tactical combat mechanics, balanced character creation, and campaign-style character development. Each player controls both their own party of adventurers and their opponent's encounters, so nobody has to play game master yet foe behavior isn't pre-programmed (because your opponent is actually controlling the foes you encounter in the dungeon).

I've written up quite a bit about the concepts and my playtests at my blog. Here are the three main posts:

POST 1: https://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com/2017/11/ballads-of-dungeon-delving.html

(Note: I started my game's design using "Song of Blades & Heroes" as a foundation, but eventually chaffed at some of the things that you mentioned as downsides, too, and so abandoned it for an entirely different set of mechanics. While I kept some of my initial ideas, you'll see in the second and third posts below how I evolved my game away from Songs mechanics and into something I think works better for dungeon crawling games.)

POST 2: https://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com/2018/01/dungeon-delve-crypt-of-mighty-lord-thule.html

POST 3: https://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com/2018/05/dungeon-delve-when-first-rooms-are-last.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version