Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Valiant Miniatures re-scaled?  (Read 8274 times)

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
Re: Valiant Miniatures re-scaled?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2021, 08:05:45 AM »
FAA are still available, now based in USA.

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2021, 10:46:35 AM »
Resurrected from one of the LAF's catacombs. I got a box of Valiant British Infantry the first week they came out, the same week Colin assured me British Airborne were in the pipeline!
Well since then we've all grown old, fat, and grey but sadly still no Paras. Thing is, my spies tell me Valiant figures have been scaled down to fit in with everybody else's toy sowjers. Does this mean my original box from back in the day won't mix if I glean some new ones?

:?  ???  :?

Raventhorpe have a range of British Paras in metal that are based on the Valiant bodies, l have seen them and they are nice figures.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2021, 11:13:22 AM »
That's interesting. Is there a link please, to where these figures can be seen, and hopefully gleaned?

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2021, 02:06:46 PM »
So far, Valiant have produced two boxes of the re-scaled figures and they are being sold under the banner of Valiant 20. To date these are German Infantry and their support weapons. I no longer have my old Valiant so cannot compare, but the new ones sit well with A&B 20mm Germans. I think a box is helpful just to throw some different poses amongst other figure types.

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2021, 02:44:52 PM »
That's interesting. Is there a link please, to where these figures can be seen, and hopefully gleaned?

???

They are available direct from Raventhorpe, email anthonyraven1@hotmail.co.UK

They are listed as the following packs

V1 British Paras Rifle Company £8
V2 HQ Company £10
V3 Support Company £8
V4 Battalion pack £42

I imagine the packs are based on Rapid Fire units, prices are from Dec 20.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2021, 03:30:52 PM »
The tale of the calculator.

If an average man is 5'9" =1752.6mm

1752.6mm divided by 1/87 =20mm (HO railway scale)
1752.6mm divided by 1/76 =23mm (OO railway scale)
1752.6mm divided by 1/72 =24.3mm
1752.6mm divided by 1/64 =27.4mm.

Some of the very old first poly Airfix figures were 20mm as I remember, or very near, but later sets got bigger.
But the Airfix HO/OO vehicles were always 1/76.
So "20mm" has NEVER really been 20mm.

Never subscribed to this measuring to eyes rubbish. When you measure your child to see how big he's grown do you just measure him up to his eyes and insist that is how big he is?

And don't even get me started on PSC's new 1/144 stuff being "10mm".
1/144 is exactly half the size of 1/72. So is obviously 12mm.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 03:34:19 PM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2021, 05:15:54 PM »
You tell 'em James. :D

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »
They are available direct from Raventhorpe, email anthonyraven1@hotmail.co.UK

They are listed as the following packs

V1 British Paras Rifle Company £8
V2 HQ Company £10
V3 Support Company £8
V4 Battalion pack £42

I imagine the packs are based on Rapid Fire units, prices are from Dec 20.

Thanks for that, most appreciated.

:)

Offline JohnFoA

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2021, 10:31:26 PM »
The tale of the calculator.

If an average man is 5'9" =1752.6mm

1752.6mm divided by 1/87 =20mm (HO railway scale)
1752.6mm divided by 1/76 =23mm (OO railway scale)
1752.6mm divided by 1/72 =24.3mm
1752.6mm divided by 1/64 =27.4mm.

Some of the very old first poly Airfix figures were 20mm as I remember, or very near, but later sets got bigger.
But the Airfix HO/OO vehicles were always 1/76.
So "20mm" has NEVER really been 20mm.

Never subscribed to this measuring to eyes rubbish. When you measure your child to see how big he's grown do you just measure him up to his eyes and insist that is how big he is

Of course you don't measure a real person from the eyes because you can access the top of their head - unless they're permanently wearing a tin helmet or similar. Figures you cannot.

A size is there for reference. I think I explained that. Our 20mm figures were sold as that size measured from foot to eye. Sorry you don't like that but that was the size. I was not at all interested in describing them as a 'scale'.

When a number is offered as size one accepts that as reference point  or not but that's how the manufacturer sells them, they aren't scale. Railways are sold in scales, kits are sold in scale but wargaming figures are not. The sizes have equivalents but they are approximate.

That's it physicist

On the balance the helicopter gunship is also mightier than the sword

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2021, 01:58:49 AM »
It’s a shame they didn’t go further and rescale them to 15mm, that would have been wonderful.

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2021, 07:53:18 AM »
Don’t use Airfix as a standard.  Their original stuff was termed OO/HO to go with contemporary British model railways.  The trouble was the British model railway systems have always been based around a bastardised scale.  They are made from 1/76 scale bodies (OO) that run on 1/87 scale track (HO).  There are technical reasons for that which have long ceased being an issue, but we are stuck with the results…..just remember OO/HO is neither fish nor foul.
Figures were based around a six foot high person because it made the pre-metric (and pre calculator) period maths easier.  1/72 therefore scaling at one inch high.  The trouble was headgear….the convention then became to measure height to the eyes, then various sculptors stretched the envelope (and the body, come to that), resulting in today’s plethora of scales……add in the fudged up adoption of the metric system and we are on a hiding to nothing.  Everything is subject to the whim of the respective sculptor, being made in proportion to the actual figure.  There is no real application of scale in the realm of toy soldiers…..if there was then items with defined size, such as rifles and packs, would be identical from range to range. Unfortunately they obviously are not! 
Comes down to finding a sculptor or range you like and then building your toy arms around that.  Don’t try to find consistency around application of scale because it doesn’t exist  ;)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2021, 08:02:38 AM »
I had high hopes when the first ones come out, when they arrived I was so disappointed in the height, I painted a lot for a club game then they have sat unused as they do not match anything else.

I will possibly pick up some new boxs and build again!

:o Oh bugger I better buy a stock of the original "big" Valiant before they become unavailable then....

If you want some PM me I have a box of Brits unbuilt of the old version and four boxes of Germans built and painted.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 08:12:23 AM by bluewillow »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2021, 08:03:52 AM »
Resurrected from one of the LAF's catacombs. I got a box of Valiant British Infantry the first week they came out, the same week Colin assured me British Airborne were in the pipeline!
Well since then we've all grown old, fat, and grey but sadly still no Paras. Thing is, my spies tell me Valiant figures have been scaled down to fit in with everybody else's toy sowjers. Does this mean my original box from back in the day won't mix if I glean some new ones?

:?  ???  :?

Apparently so

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »
Comes down to finding a sculptor or range you like and then building your toy arms around that.  Don’t try to find consistency around application of scale because it doesn’t exist  ;)

So true, so wise.  :)

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2021, 09:43:04 AM »
You wouldn’t say that if you knew me LOL……