Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:09:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Clips of Warlord troops  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
Clips of Warlord troops
« on: August 19, 2018, 01:25:45 AM »
In case you wondered about those umbrellas you get with Copplestones'  Chinese -  check out this excerpt from British Pathe.  Warlord soldiers being disarmed by French troops but keeping their brollies.

Another clip from British Pathe - showing some smart  but mostly ragged Chinese troops

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Clips of Warlord troops
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:53:49 PM »
Bloody marvelous. As is the fact that the Chinese troops are as tall as the Europeans in the pictures. It was Mao’s disastrous policies that (literally) stunted the nations growth
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 03:18:07 PM »
Always nice to find information on those little known bits of history.
Thank you for posting them.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 07:19:11 AM »
Bloody marvelous. As is the fact that the Chinese troops are as tall as the Europeans in the pictures. It was Mao’s disastrous policies that (literally) stunted the nations growth

The Chinese aren't a homogenous race, any more than Europeans are.

Northern "Chinese" are taller than southern, and have been for centuries. They are mixed with lots of non-Han and have a wheat and meat diet.

Southern Chinese are far more numerous and are the ones who went to the US etc -- so we tend to think of them as "Chinese". They were notoriously little well befoe Mao entered the scene. Rice with little protein being the diet.

I don't think we can pin this one on him.

I've got friends and worked with people of Chinese stock whose ancestors left 100 years ago for the gold rush. They are universally little.

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 08:47:59 AM »
Nothing to do with Mao
As has been pointed out china has over 300 races and in the north are as tall as Europeans
I am 6 ft 2 and was there a year in 1989 and only in the south was I noticeably tall
What was sobering after 6 months of seeing no Europeans and us was a coach of  tourists in Beijing
Obesity really came home to mr

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 03:22:02 PM »
I love these old videos.  Thanks for posting!