Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690585
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: wargames factory zombies  (Read 12278 times)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: wargames factory zombies
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »
"Anyone with extraordinary free hand painting skills can achieve this result"  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 03:46:31 PM »
Yet the fact they have sold tens of thousands of these figures seems to put your opinion in the tiny minority basket.

You have to wonder how many buyers were disappointed with their purchases? How many bought them just to fill out the horde?  How many boxes were spoken for by optimistic pre-orders? You need so many zombies that you rarely have the time to put in the work shown above, and soft detail is not the mass painter's friend. The fact that on another thread a painter associated with WF said that you can retain the detail as long as you don't prime the figures  ;D does not bode well either.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Nick

• Student
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 07:05:41 AM »
Why prime them? It is not required. Clean them with soap if you want. GIve them a black, or blue or purple or green wash and then paint them.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »
Ok this topic is trash.

I don't think the whole WGF thing can be discussed properly anyway. It's a matter of taste.

*signing out*
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:46:18 AM by Thorbjørn Nielsen »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 10:45:22 AM »
Wow...terrific paintjobs. But for me they show how bad these sculpts are even more. The dude could have better used his terrific skills on the Studio Miniatures Zombies...now that would have been a real treat!  :-*
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 10:55:39 AM »
I think the excellent painting really shows up how dire the figures are.
Agreed.
I'd be interested to see whether the sales of these have dipped much after the first buying spree.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 11:33:13 AM »
Why prime them? It is not required. Clean them with soap if you want. GIve them a black, or blue or purple or green wash and then paint them.

I and I'm sure many others would disagree. Priming the figures increases paint adhesion, making the paintjob more durable, which is especially important on plastic figures.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 06:44:12 PM »
The tech they are using is going to replace traditional sculpting and casting methods. It's called a retrograde step.

Just you wait until the revolution comes, i'll be a big shot then, and you will all have to listen to me....

;D

I'm sure that there will always be room for Bargain Basement minis, but some people will always prefer to pay for quality - you pays your money & takes your choice.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:46:03 PM by AKULA »

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »
The dude could have better used his terrific skills on the Studio Miniatures Zombies...now that would have been a real treat!  :-*

Agreed - I'm painting mine at the minute and it's taking soo long because I feel like I'm not good enough to do them justice (at least three weeks and counting now on my procrastination...)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »
The dude could have better used his terrific skills on the Studio Miniatures Zombies...now that would have been a real treat!  :-*

Agreed - I'm painting mine at the minute and it's taking soo long because I feel like I'm not good enough to do them justice (at least three weeks and counting now on my procrastination...)

Yup.  Am taking my time over the Studio ones....

;)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
The tech they are using is going to replace traditional sculpting and casting methods. It's called a retrograde step.

Just you wait until the revolution comes, i'll be a big shot then, and you will all have to listen to me....

;D

lol

Offline Bungle

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 11:43:47 PM »
Nice paint job, shame the figures don't look any better sculpted than the cheapo metals.

I'd like to see some with magic dip, about the right amount of time to spend on painting cheapo stuff while you can spend more time on decent metals.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 11:52:52 PM »
the tech they are using is going to replace traditional sculpting and casting methods. While that will put a few tiny companies out of business it will also move the industry into the 21st century. It's called progress, it happens.

I agree about stupid comments, that one was a corker.

Offline Nick

• Student
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 11:55:48 PM »

I and I'm sure many others would disagree. Priming the figures increases paint adhesion, making the paintjob more durable, which is especially important on plastic figures.

It is hard plastic priming is not really needed. Depending on the wash it should give it some "tooth" for the paint to hang onto or a drop in boiling vinegar should give them some tooth as well. Or a wash in some detergent will give the paint something to grip onto  if you are worried about it. Paint almost never chips off plastic figs and a proper seal, gloss coat with a couple coats of dull coat if you do not want shiny should handle the durability issue.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 12:10:16 AM »

It is hard plastic priming is not really needed. Depending on the wash it should give it some "tooth" for the paint to hang onto or a drop in boiling vinegar should give them some tooth as well. Or a wash in some detergent will give the paint something to grip onto  if you are worried about it. Paint almost never chips off plastic figs and a proper seal, gloss coat with a couple coats of dull coat if you do not want shiny should handle the durability issue.

If it works for you that's fine, but personally I prefer the textue and "tooth" that spray primers provide, as well as providing a uniformly coloured surface, black, grey or white that will affect how the miniature turns out depending on your method. Those who make plastic model kits often use spray primers as well, and I've found that priming is essential with plastic figures. I must admit I am intrigued by your method (except the whole boiling vinegar thing, I'll give that a miss), and I'll try it at some point (but not on WF zombies  ;)