Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:15:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bolt Action Korea  (Read 4708 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Bolt Action Korea
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »
You make some interesting points Arlequin.

On the subject of nomenclature, I tend to think of Ultramodern as now with all the new shiny stuff (that will either not work or get cancelled due to budge overruns). Team Yankee and Twilight 2000 are a sort of Retro-Ultramodern ^__^.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 09:19:39 PM »
Thinking of Warlord and the possibilities of Ba:Vietnam..

Didn't Walord buy some of the Force of Arms interwar stuff (and a ultra modern Humvee)? Given FOA had a fairly comprehensive Vietnam range, I wonder if that would be a possible starting point...
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 12:00:31 AM »
Team Yankee and Twilight 2000 are a sort of Retro-Ultramodern ^__^.

Yesterday's tomorrow today? Okay, I can go with that as a label.  :)

Didn't Walord buy some of the Force of Arms interwar stuff (and a ultra modern Humvee)? Given FOA had a fairly comprehensive Vietnam range, I wonder if that would be a possible starting point...

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the modern vehicles weren't sold. I also recall it was a decent range of vehicles too. I also, also seem to recall the figures themselves were quite good on top of that.

Memory is a fickle thing, but not as fickle and petty as what I call a good figure, so they can't have been awful.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 12:27:05 AM »
Didn't Force of Arms do a T-55? Seems like that, and if they did any other Cold War vehicles in 1/56th, would be right up Warlord's alley for conflicts around this period. Though I can't speak for their quality, and if that matches Warlord's (which themselves vary).

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 12:49:44 AM »
I’m up for Korea. My regiment fought there on Cents  (before my time mind😳) and I will give this a run on a Platoon / Troop level.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 07:21:48 AM »
FoA did a T-55. If it was anything like their Centurion then it would be streets ahead of Warlord Quality wise. Blitzkreig do a T-55, with a 1/48 version due at some point IIRC. The best one for is actually a Chinese made diecast that scales out to 1/50. Accurate and of course robust.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 08:08:17 AM »
Vehicle scale is going to be the problem, Korea is probably the latest war where WW2 kit is in the majority, so you would want vehicles to the same scale (1/56).

After that it would appear that 1/50 - 1/48 is the majority scale for vehicles (YMMV). That would be a big jump for Warlord.

I saw the Force of Arms vehicles at Salute one year and sent them an order (just before whatever happened happened). I saw no sign the cheque was cashed.

Online swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 09:40:25 AM »
I heard that they will be doing a set of plastic Chinese in Winter dress I believe.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 11:03:34 AM »
Apart from the Centurion it was all WWII kit, even the M46 was an up-graded M26. No T-55s in the Korean War.

If Swiftnick's and the Commissar's rumour bears fruit, 'Winter PVA' and the existing 'Winter US' will be the starting point I imagine. Cost to Warlord, one box of infantry and a book to test the waters, which is pretty sensible to my mind.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 01:43:04 PM »
We've been waiting on Blitzkrieg's 1/50th range for a while now... ¬¬

Yeah, I meant specifically in regards to the T-55 that Warlord bought out a company that had them, and that would do for later conflicts. Not that it appeared in that particular war. Rather it seems a waste not to have bought them, and a lack of foresight for the company's historical range for them not to eventually move into the Cold War period (unless they continue to make more obscure units and equipment - obscure being not the big powers -, which eventually may "bore" people).

Warlord had said that they were doing a Centurion. With this and Clockwork Goblin's 1947 range I'd expect it to come along eventually (its been years since they said that).

People already use their rules for the period, so its logical that they would expand into the immediate Post-WWII area which their existing range may already be compatible with. Accuracy may be dubious of course, though likely not a concern for them immediately (though if they went full on into the range we could see proper uniforms eventually). With the player base that the company's been aiming at being more wargamers than historians (i.e. Ally vs Ally games, like its just a game of 40K), so that's probably not a major concern vs putting out new units and nations.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 09:40:17 PM »
I'd have bought in to a 'historic' Conflict '47, as opposed to the weird war variant. Russians and Chinese versus everyone would be a refreshing alternative to nazi-wank.

:)

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
Regarding FOA I don't think that would be workable. The M113 I have is more like 1/58th to 1/60th which I had to enlarge to make work work with my TAG M113's. The figures they make though are excellent and I wish I could get hold of more of them.

My money would be on Korea as its an easy expansion on their current ranges.