Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:45:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's new ACW project  (Read 57889 times)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Nick's new ACW project
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 05:26:24 PM »
Really enjoying these posts and your enthusiasm for your new project and for the subject too,keep up the good work  :)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 08:58:56 PM »
Thought I'd share a little about the painting. These are not my finest works, I'm trying to get a fast technique that I'm happy with on the table top.

So far, what I've done is sprayed the figures Army Painter Uniform Grey. Then I've picked out the flesh (face and hands). I then paint most of the belts, straps etc in black. The wood on the rifles I've painted dark brown (AP Oak Brown). I'm just using Army Painter by the way. The water bottle straps I do in an off white. The hair I do in a mix of browns, blacks and orange.

Then I liberally drop AP brown wash over the flesh, straps, hair etc. Next I paint over the grey with a lighter shade, mostly covering everything except the edges and deep folds. Then I pick out the metal on the rifles, belt buckles etc.

Some figures I've stopped at this stage, but for most I've done some highlighting. The flesh I've taken the original AP Barbarian flesh and run over the high areas (nose etc). The uniforms, mixing a slightly lighter grey, I've gone over the high parts of the uniforms, especially the caps. I've done the same with the wood on the rifles and the black leather kit.

That's it. I've ignored the eyes, blending etc to get the figures onto the table-top.

Where I've painted butternut uniforms I've painted the item (jacket or trousers) a suitable brown and included it in the liberal application of brown wash. The next regiment will have more butternut than the previous, so I may hone the technique somewhat.

Hope that's of interest.

Cheers
Nick

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 09:03:24 PM »
It is of interest, thank you for sharing your technique!
Eager to see the next unit!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 09:51:41 PM »
These two figures were the first I painted in this project. I needed them to make up units in the 'job lot' of Rebs I bought from Duncan. I worked out the 'fast paint' plan with them. The flags are from Flags of War. I enjoyed making the battle torn version, but haven't done it with any Alabama flags yet, not sure if I will. In theory they could be, all of Rodes' regiments were heavily engaged just days before Antietam defending the passes over South Mountain.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 10:32:26 PM »
I like the clean painting style, it will look great en masse.  I also like the Crusader ACW figures, painted up they have more variation and personality than the website pics suggest.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 11:15:16 PM »
Thanks for any kind words on the painting, unfortunately I walk among giants, look at Kev's work on the ragged Confederates for Dracula's America.

The inspiration for my ACW project was clearly my trip to America, but I was getting set up for it by my enthusiasm for Dracula's America, a great game and great figures. 

Do you want to read a funny story?

I went on my US trip with Alan & Michael Perry. After Historicon, we set off to the ACW Battlefields. When we arrived at South Mountain park, there were three re-enactors there. We wandered over to have a chat. In the conversation, we pointed out Alan & Michael made ACW model figures. 'Are you the Perry brothers?' asks a reenactor. Then he says 'I'm not into model soldiers, but my boss is, and he's just gone to a convention where he said he hoped to meet you guys'. This is where I burst out laughing. What if his boss didn't meet Alan and Michael at Historicon, and when he gets back to work his colleague goes 'You'll never guess who was here yesterday'.  lol

Actually, are you that boss? He's a wargamer, may be a LAFer as well.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 03:43:53 AM »
Ah, shades of Ted Turner's Gettysburg!  Only a better rendition of facial hair here.   lol

As to the movie mentioned, I like it (less the excessive saluting) and - as I've mentioned before in some other where - I had an experience upon first watching that movie that no other event has ever done for me and it was brief, less than a second.  But during the 20th Maine's charge down Litter Round Top, I was there in that charge, the sights, the sounds, the smells, the tingle in my gut.  Also helped it was in an old fashioned movie theater with a bigger than life screen.  That was an exemplary cool moment in life.  Helped that I was deeply immersed in the history at that time, devouring ACW books and a recent one on Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and this event in particular.  I can't recall the book but I'll never forget that moment "I joined the 20th's charge".   :-*

edit: that's just freaking cheating, touring with the Perry Twins.  Please tell them I'm still mad at them, though.  Completely abandoned my scale!   :D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:47:28 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »
Excellent work, I look forward to accounts of your table top battles.

Only vaguely related: I'm re-reading Cozzens' "No Better Place to Die" book on the Battle of Stones River. A Union soldier writes of the initial Confederate attack "They were well dressed, but of cut and color there was no attempt at uniformity". Granted, we are talking about the Army of Tennessee rather than Lee's force.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »
Another thought, Vincent. The first Confederate charge at Stone's River came early in the morning of December 31, 1862. It was cold in Tennessee that morning. The Federal troops wore their issue overcoats. The Confederate army rarely issued overcoats, and the Rebs probably wore whatever winter gear they could get their hands on, including miscellaneous coats donated to clothe the army by patriotic southern civilians.

Very handsome toy soldiers, Nick. Please show us a game when they're ready to rock'n'roll.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:07:56 PM by zippyfusenet »
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »
Now then Nicholas, you know that young Dan has a fair few toys he never uses, why not buy his so we have more space at work?

Plus, I have 15 and 28mm armies ready to go, and one day I SHALL paint those 40mm Foundry I've had for ages.
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 06:53:57 PM »
I like your thinking.

Perhaps we should arrange a game sometime, my Rebs will be the Dark Confederacy, your Feds for the Vamps, DA big battles.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »
Played a game of ACW using Black Powder to keep the enthusiasm bubbling. NOT my figures or terrain, good time was had. This is my Brigade, strung out along the Pike in front of the main Union army. I blew away the Rebs in front, and the rest of the Union army chased off the right and left flanks for a Federal victory.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:55:48 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »
The figures and terrain are of course the collection of Alan Perry. Here's a shot of the battlefield, with the Confederate right lining the Pike.

Offline ACW Gamer

• Scientist
    • Raven Banner Games
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 03:44:51 PM »
What size are those bases?

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »
In the game, or what I've painted?

My figures are on 60mm by 30mm.

Alan's collection is mostly on the bases that come with the plastic Perry box sets I think. As a rule I think his basic infantryman is on a 15mm by 20mm, then multiples of for the bigger bases.