Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:34:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690780
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's new ACW project  (Read 57904 times)

Offline ACW Gamer

• Scientist
    • Raven Banner Games
Re: Nick's new ACW project
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2018, 08:19:02 PM »
Thank you. I am thinking about a four man frontage

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2018, 08:24:42 PM »
Lovely work Nick on your ACW collection sofar.

All the best,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »
I'm putting them on a 4 man frontage of 60mm.

The 5th Alabama are finished, I'll post pictures later.

I was lent this book yesterday, you know you're in deep when this is your favourite reading, & is still throwing up as many questions as it's answering.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2018, 06:01:28 PM »
The 5th Alabama Regiment.

Commander Maj Edwin L. Hobson . Rodes Brigade, DH Hill's Division, Jackson's Corp.

I didn't have anything specific about this regiment I wanted to do, other than explore the 'Ragged Reb' theme a bit more. I tried to add a couple of torn elbows and knees as well as patches this time. I added more uniforms in 'butternut' as well.

The flag I deduced would be a 2nd Bunting ANV Battleflag with the Seven Pines! battlehonour. GMB Designs do one, straight from the school of Don Troiani, so that did perfectly well. The colour bearer still has the belt and socket as mentioned before.

A point of curiosity is the photo of Major Hobson. As I mentioned, I'm trying to make the officer figures look like the real officers. I found a splendid photo of the major, with an easy to model on mustache.

I modeled the figure, got him painted (you'll see him below) but when I went back to my favourite site, they'd changed the photo to some goatee bearded chap!

Damn. but too late, I like mustache Hobson so he stays.

I've already begun the 12th Alabama, that just leaves the 26th Alabama, and Rodes Brigade is done.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:49:36 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2018, 07:48:03 AM »
very nice painting on the figures
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2018, 07:54:22 AM »
Hi!
It is great that you try to achieve the officer's expressions, the faces you already made are well done, they have a warlike expression and convey to the viewer the feeling of the period!
Eager to see more of your ragged Reb look!
Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »
The 12th Alabama Regiment.

I've finished the 12th Alabama, the 4th Regiment of Rodes Brigade, DH Hills Division, in September 1862.

I mentioned earlier that in reading about the uniforms of Alabama, I went from planning to do a force of Ragged Rebels to better uniformed soldiers back to ragged 'tramps'. I read some articles about the actual material of the uniforms of the Alabama soldiers. it would seem in 1862 Alabama was supplying it's soldiers quite well, with grey uniforms, but the material was fading to 'butternut' brown rather rapidly.
http://adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/state-of-alabama-quartermaster-uniforms-1861-1864.html
So with this unit, I wanted to represent them wearing State issued grey kit that had faded to brown since the summer, and was in poor repair following hard campaigning the month before. Picture 5 shows a close up.

The colours of the 12th I was happy with, a 2nd Bunting battleflag of the ANV with Seven Pines! battlehonour, and again a colour bearer with the belt and socket. (pic 4)

The officer of the 12th in the Bloody Lane on the 17th of September was more difficult to pin down. The 12th suffered tremendous casualties, including it's officers. It's Colonel and Lieutenant-Colonel fell in battle 3 days before. Captain Tucker led the regiment into the Bloody Lane and was killed, Captain Maroney then took over. The problem I have with representing these two Gentlemen is there seems to be no photographs of them anywhere. I did find a photo of the Captain of the Mobile Company, 12th Alabama, Adolph Proskauer.
Captain Proskauer not only looks distinct with his chops, but he had an illustrious career becoming a Major in the 12th. I found a great illustration of him at Gettysburg on the cover of this book on Jewish officers of the Confederacy.

I've tried to represent him, chewing his cigar. (picture 3). So with the 12th, I've not got a figure of the actual commanding officer, but one of the company commanders.

That just leaves the 26th Alabama to paint, and a model of Brigadier General Rodes himself, and I've done!

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »
“That just leaves the 26th Alabama to paint, and a model of Brigadier General Rodes himself, and I've done!”

You should know by now that no wargaming project is ever done. You’re in this for the long haul now.  lol

Lovely stuff. Very characterful units (no pun intended). I’ve also branched out into ACW, but in 6mm scale.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2018, 11:52:34 PM »
This project is turning out to be a handsome piece of historical research and modeling, nick. I'd say you've gotten the hang of butternut.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2018, 06:35:13 PM »
Just to track back on this project, I mentioned I was adding putty to the officer figures to try and catch their actual likeness.

This is Colonel Battle, of the 3rd Alabama.

(Spot the deliberate mistake. I didn't do my research properly, Red Sashes were worn by Majors and below. A Colonel should have yellow. This figure has been repainted!)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:43:34 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »
Colonel Gordon of the 6th Alabama.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:40:59 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2018, 06:50:58 PM »
I've finished painting the last Regiment, the 26th Alabama, just need to finish the basing. While I do that, here's the officer, Colonel EA O'Neal.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
Colonel O'Neal is my favorite so far. I've just read through the whole thread and really enjoyed it. It's a great project.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 07:18:21 PM »
A labor of love, well done.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2018, 06:50:27 AM »
This project is turning out to be a handsome piece of historical research and modeling...

You achieve faces outstandingly well, not only for the known personalities, but also your effort to individualise any single soldier must be praised! Cheers!