Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:10:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Station  (Read 9329 times)

Offline flashman1889

• Bookworm
Painting Station
« on: July 03, 2006, 04:10:40 PM »
Hey,

Do you have any more pictures of your workstation?  I'm alwasy looking for ideas on how to improve m y work area and I like a couple of things I see in that one pic, but would like a closer look.

Thanks

"Flashy"
"Wherever you go, there you are."  Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Painting Station
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 04:19:25 PM »
did you see that, just click on the pics to see the larger version
http://www.witchhunter.net/archiv_workbench.html

welcome to the forum, Flashy!  :D
Alex

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Painting Station
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:13:34 PM »
I just peeked a bit... Marvellous! You manage to keep your paints sorted out, ready available - AND away from the desk when not in use.

Is it spice shelves or something homemade?

And do you use two light sources when painting? I sometimes have difficulties seing into deep recesses on miniatures, using only one light source - this might be the solution?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Painting Station
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 07:10:52 PM »
Quote from: "argonor"
Is it spice shelves or something homemade?
?

the shelves are home made, really easy construction, some slats to hammer together

And do you use two light sources when painting? I sometimes have difficulties seing into deep recesses on miniatures, using only one light source - this might be the solution?

Exactly. Indeed i'm using four light sources, see the pic below (attend to ceiling light). No idea how you manage to paint by using of only one light source  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Painting Station
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 01:22:50 PM »
I'll have to try that out. Actually, I have two light sources, counting the window I'm facing when painting.

I manage by using a very no-nonsense-get-the-job-done-and-get-gaming wargamer's approach using a lot of drybrushing and washes, and then dapping in the occational detail and/or bright highlight with a steady hand and a very thin brush. I'm not exactly producing showcase miniatures, but seen at an arm's length on the gaming table, they look OK. Nothing like the ones you produce, but fit for gaming. I can usually finish 4-5 figures during a week's evenings, painting an hour or two at a go (not at the moment, though, two little girls are taking too much of my evenings to get much done (and it's too darn hot currently) - instead I'm spending some time on finding new miniatures/buildings/vehicles for the pulp-era, and planning my purchases).

Offline flashman1889

• Bookworm
Painting station
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 07:59:42 PM »
Thanks, it's good to have something like this to share ideas.

My problem seems to be I need to clean my station every few days as I seem to accumulate projects on the surface.  I do like the shelves I have something similiar but I was intrigued to see the computer on the station.  I have one close but I think if I had my laptop on the station I could have a picture up on the screen for inspiration and what not.  I use 2-3 light sources and a magnifying glass on a stand.  Have you ever used small clamps to hold figs in place?  I have toyed with this but don't seem to be able to find a system that works well for me.

See ya in the funny pages,

Flashy

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Painting Station
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 10:21:35 AM »
I think that holding the miniature by hand is the best solution. I always glue the miniature to the base it is going to end up on anyway, before priming and painting, as this makes it easier to hold. I'm still looking for a good solution for holding riders/drivers/pilots, though, as they rarely can be glued to anyting before being glued in place....

It is a good idea to have something to rest your hands on at 'working height' - the hand with the brush a little higher than the position of the mini - as this helps keeping the shakes at bay...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Painting Station
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 11:10:19 AM »
Flashman, I need to clean my station continual too, that's the usual workflow :)

I dont think that holding the miniature by hand is the best solution. My experience is, the mini should be glued at something that can be held by hand, round wooden brick (like Chris Steadman), colour bottle or similar things. I'm using the colour bottles, they have the prefect form and size for my hands, so I don't need to touch the mini during the painting and the fig holds more steady then I would hold it by base

my bottles:
http://www.witchhunter.net/images/wip/impressions/06_07_02_wip_3.jpg

Chris Steadman wooden bricks:
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/CHRIS/images/DSCN2335.jpg

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Painting Station
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 02:21:28 PM »
I'm still looking for a good solution for holding riders/drivers/pilots, though, as they rarely can be glued to anyting before being glued in place....

I'm drilling a hole in the painful spot right between the legs of the miniature. Then I'm gluing a piece of wire in the hole. To hold the mini I stick the part of the wire, that is standing over, on top of an old felt-tip.

Here you can see an example. The hole of the felt-tip has been tightened with a bit of green stuff.

When you're finished with painting you can drill a matching hole in the seat of the horse/bike/whatever and glue the mini with the wire on it.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline flashman1889

• Bookworm
Painting Station
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 05:01:23 PM »
I have found that a 6d common nail works well for me. (sorry to my Euro brothers I have no idea what you call your nails)  It has a large flat head that I can glue the figure onto and the point end makes it go into a block of foam I have handy.  I also find I can control it with 2 fingers which allows me to spin it around and look at it from any angle as I paint.

I guess it is all preference, I do agree that not holding the figure directly is necessary.

As for the clamp stands I thought they might be useful for gluing or holding something larger while I work on it.

Flashy