Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:37:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 705
Total: 710

Recent

Author Topic: Vampiric traits and powers for Dracula’s America  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Elder Days

• Student
Vampiric traits and powers for Dracula’s America
« on: September 07, 2018, 04:00:25 PM »
In an effort to incorporate some elements from folklore and gothic literature I’ve been working on a set of powers and traits for vampire characters. When a character first becomes a vampire they roll once on both the power and weakness charts. Whenever a vampire advances a skill level they roll again on each chart gaining a new power as well as a new weakness. Below is my first draft of the charts. They will undoubtedly need to be tweaked for balance, practicality and to maximize fun.

Vampire Powers
1-Shapeshifting: Wolf, Cauldron of Bats
2-Call Children of the Night: Summon Bats, Rats, Wolves
3-Mist-form: Become intangible for a turn. Can not attack or be attacked.
4-Speed: Increase movement to 6”
5-Transfix: As current Ablity
6-Scale Surface: Able to climb any surface ignoring penalties.

Vampiric Curses
-Ghastly countenance: lowers leadership ability
-Botanical foil: Weakness to a common plant or herb such as wolf’s bane, hawthorn, or garlic. The vampire cannot charge a character which bears one of these items.
-Bloodthirsty: Must make a check to avoid feeding. This includes when a living opponent is taken out of action in hand to hand combat or when the vampire is in possession of a hostage.
-Uninvited Guest: May not enter a private home without being invited. What is and what isn’t a private home should be designated before the game.
-Compulsion: Must test or be distracted. (Believe it or not according to folklore one way to escape a vampire is to throw a handful of tiny objects which the creature will then be compelled to count as you make your getaway.)
-Cannot cross running water except at a bridge.

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
Re: Vampiric traits and powers for Dracula’s America
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »
These are a great idea- I love how you have incorporated the traditional vampire weaknesses in these rules!

As it happens, I myself have just sent a set of 'Vampiric Gifts' Skills over to the good folks at Osprey- this is going to be part of some ongoing, downloadable support for Dracula's America that- all being well- will be steadily trickling out over the coming months. I couldn't speak as to the exact time-frame as that is up to Osprey, of course! :)

The upcoming Vampiric Gifts are not quite as in-depth as your own ideas, but do include the ability to summon distracting swarms of vermin, compel a Transfixed victim, assume an ethereal/mist form, make flying leaps into combat (I like to think of the model turning into a cloud of bats!), and tap into their bloodlust to become deadlier in a Fight...
I thought about giving vamps shape-shifting in the early days, but in the end I decided to keep that as the preserve of the Skinwalkers and Forsaken lycanthropes!
I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »
-Uninvited Guest: May not enter a private home without being invited. What is and what isn’t a private home should be designated before the game.

I like all those a lot, but this one reminded me of one of my favourite bits from Adventure Time.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Elder Days

• Student
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »
Thanks Fenrir! I look forward to trying out the new powers when they are released. I’m likely just going to wait and roll any of my unrealized ideas into the new stuff.

I can see your point on shapeshifting. Gotta maintain faction flavor.