Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zeppelin Build for Pulp games and others  (Read 7974 times)

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
Re: Zeppelin Build for Pulp games and others
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 09:29:11 PM »
That looks spectacular; I find myself wanting one now -despite having no practical user for a Zepplin lol.

I have to ask, where did you get the wall paper from?

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 11:59:52 PM »
Dodgy_Ed: I just googled Victorian wallpaper and printed out ones I liked. Mod-Podge to secure them to the walls.

And more pictures of it getting together. The top level railing ropes in progress and some shots of the rooms.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 05:33:53 AM »
Very Nice! I will have to follow this thread to watch your progress.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 08:38:31 PM »
Passenger section is now complete... On to the Cargo section next.

The first picture shows the C-channel set up I did for the sliding doors. Very easy "kitbash" if I can even call it that.
Zoraida's  door and no Gremlins/Pigs allowed...

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 06:14:26 AM »
You stated that this kit is 96 inches long! That is huge! I'm just thinking of all the plots that can be played out.

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 09:31:19 PM »
Speed build on the Cargo Section: As per usual, the wooden decks are done with Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut. The frame was built, base coated black and then drybrushed in Gunmetal Grey. The bomb-bay doors do open up. According to the rules, Zipp has a tendency to drop pianos on opponents... I loved the idea of that, so a Piano model was required. Then I had the thought to take it to the next level: MAD (Multi Anvil Deployment). I scratch-built the bomb rack out of pvc pieces and custom fit the rails to hold the anvils. And the Stuffed Piglet.

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »
And the rest of the pictures. First three sections are done. The hardest (tail) section left to do. The reason I say hardest is that that one will get the most scratch-built
additions of all the sections.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 03:31:25 AM »
Wow. That's such a great idea and fantastic execution!  :-*
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 04:48:52 PM »
Very well done! I truly can't  wait to see this as a whole.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »
Straight out of Merrie Melodies.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 02:12:37 AM »
Before I get on to the last section of the Zeppelin, I ordered another Cargo section for the build. Rusti came through unbelievably quickly and I did a rush build on it.
I flipped the orientation of the section, to give me the option of a "long-long", or "short-short" setup on the decking. The second section is identifiable by the red-striped bomb doors. You can't see it in the pictures, but the bomb does say "ACME" on the side of it...

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 02:28:50 AM »
Now comes the tail section. I am going to admit flat-out, up front, that I hijacked an idea and setup from another builder. Namely the "landing strip" you will see in the second set of pictures. Does that invalidate the work I did? No, on account of I made my own spin on his idea and tweaked things to fit my Zeppelin including the making of the Control Tower.

Ideas cheerfully swiped from: gamer Mac here on Lead Adventure forum      http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=19481.465

So, first comes the obligatory build pics. The workbenches that are painted red are all glued in place along the sides after waaay to much time spent painting them.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:54:21 AM by Brandubh »

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2018, 02:45:53 AM »
The next two sets of posts are all about the Landing strip:

First of all came the decision to actually do it. Then I scrounged some of the mdf pieces left over from the "sprues" to make the base landing strip supports. I had two pieces of sufficient size and both of them had to be cut in multiple angles to make it right. No pressure here to do it right the first time.

Then I decided to go outside my comfort zone for the actual decking. I could have used anything from foam-core to craft sticks, but I recently acquired an acrylic textured  rolling pin from Greenstuff world (http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/22-textured-rolling-pins) and went a little bit bigger than they normally show it done. I used Super Sculpey, textured by the rolling pin and then baked for hardness. I'm quite happy with the results, and the Sculpey took the paint very well. The Control Tower also took shape during this time: deck made of sculpey, the desk area of foam core, extra stanchions and rope that were left over, and the window from some plastic packaging.

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2018, 02:51:56 AM »
And the (almost) last set of pictures. Here the painting of the decking is accomplished and the crash net is installed. The supports are made from foam board and the net is from some produce from the store. The supports for the control tower are simple craft sticks (also shaded with Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut) and then everything glued down into place.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 05:33:00 AM »
Very Nice Work! Can't wait to see it altogether!