Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:39:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Men Of Bronze  (Read 37868 times)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Re: Men Of Bronze
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2019, 04:48:57 PM »
Picked up my copy yesterday and read it on the way home.

WHAT! It's out?! I have mine on pre-order and I didn't think it was due for another fortnight.

Can't wait!

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2019, 07:37:32 PM »
sound like... Salute...  :D
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2019, 11:55:34 PM »
 :D Osprey had them on their stand...l couldn't say no really! lol

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2019, 02:39:48 PM »
Yes, the playsheet! That is on my list of things to do! 

I started one, but decided to wait until I got the final printing before putting it into writing.... and then.... pesky life got in the way!

I will get cracking on it.....

Edit:
Here are some early reviews/flip-through I have found....

https://therewillbe.games/articles-boardgame-reviews/6570-barnes-on-games-osprey-s-latest-tabletop-rulebooks-frostgrave-ragnarok-men-of-bronze-rebels-and-patriots

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 02:41:27 PM by Easy E »
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2019, 01:39:12 AM »
Looking forward to this, despite it comes late to Canada, I've got all sorts of Hoplites on the go for it, so I'm pumped. Cheers!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2019, 04:09:26 AM »
I just sent the QRS to Osprey for the website this morning!

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
Perfect.... I'm planning a game on tues.
Hopefully it will be up by then :)

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2019, 08:42:29 PM »
Does this ruleset a) works well for scaled-down battles? (10-20 miniatures per side) b) Is it suitable for other european battlefields of the same timeframe (e.g.: iberians vs phoenicians or greeks vs carthaginians)?

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2019, 06:30:18 PM »
This is designed mostly for Phalanx oriented combat.  Could it be used for other battles? I am sure wargamers are a clever lot.... :D

In the past couple of days, i have been considering the Carthaginians vs. Greek conflicts in Sicily (and other parts of the Med) and realized I missed out on them.  I have started working a bit on rectifying this oversight.... but it is obviously too late for this book and would be extra content on the Osprey website or elsewhere. 

As for small numbers of troops, I have played games with 3 units vs. 3 units before.  This is a unit-vs-unit game in nature.  I use 10 men per unit in 28MM, but there is no reason you could not change this to whatever number you want and find pleasing.     

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2019, 09:05:06 PM »
In the past couple of days, i have been considering the Carthaginians vs. Greek conflicts in Sicily (and other parts of the Med) and realized I missed out on them.  I have started working a bit on rectifying this oversight.... but it is obviously too late for this book and would be extra content on the Osprey website ...

Having peeked at the lists on the various flip-throughs on YouTube, I'm inclined to agree Eric. You don't currently have lists for any Greek state north or west of Thebes. I'd live to help you rectify that!

And of course Magna Graecia isn't represented either as you say.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2019, 07:51:19 PM »
Yes, I put in a rather generic *Greek City-State* List to cover some of the others, but I expect it will be lacking for some of the specific details for many readers. 

Thankfully, there is also a section about house ruling away! However, I am always open to additional list ideas that I can compile and get to the Osprey website or other sources!

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2019, 09:07:16 PM »
This is designed mostly for Phalanx oriented combat.  Could it be used for other battles? I am sure wargamers are a clever lot.... :D   

You mean hoplite-like spearmen phalanxs, not macedonian phalanx (with 5 meter long sarissas), don't you?

Ancient iberians seem to have fought with two-handed spears in individual combat (probably in a way similar to micenian greeks if we give credit to the Iliad), only to later change to a style more akin to that of the greeks (heavy infantry spearmen in dense formations being supported by light skirmishers).

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »
Had a trial game with them last night and once we got into the flow of things they went well. Thebans vs Athenians. The Arete points are a nice touch and make things a lot more interesting than a straight move and fight combat.

Next week we'll try a scenario terrain and a few other things.

(For info my hoplites are based as units of 8, peltasts as units of 6 and psiloi as units of 4. All are on 100x50mm unit bases for my own rules. MoB worked without any issue with these).

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
You mean hoplite-like spearmen phalanxs, not macedonian phalanx (with 5 meter long sarissas), don't you?

Ancient iberians seem to have fought with two-handed spears in individual combat (probably in a way similar to micenian greeks if we give credit to the Iliad), only to later change to a style more akin to that of the greeks (heavy infantry spearmen in dense formations being supported by light skirmishers).

Yes, it annoys me greatly that both styles of fighting are called a phalanx.  Hoplite's are more shieldwall while Macedonian phalangites are more spear wall.  How can they have the same name?  I do not know, but they do.      lol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2019, 02:57:16 PM »
I've just written up a review of my thoughts on Men of Bronze. I think you've written a great set of mechanics for the period Eric, but I have a few niggles as well. Interestingly - given the comments above - one of them concerns the word phalanx...

http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2019/04/review-of-ospreys-men-of-bronze.html

The summary at the end:
"All in all, I think the mechanics of Men of Bronze are really nice and I can’t wait to get stuck in. The niggles are niggly, and take away from what could have been a splendid book, but they should not get in the way of a fun set of clever rules for gaming battles between Greeks, other Greeks, and their neighbours."