Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:10:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689642
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: my 6mm Sci-Fi project  (Read 94855 times)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 6mm Tanks
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 02:02:39 PM »
These come out surprisingly well for a home printer! I would never have imagined usch a quality would be possible with a non-professional product.

I remember something about GHQ circumventing the issue with details disappearing in their tiny 6mm metal tanks by making them far larger than they would be to scale, mostly rivets which would be three times larger or even more so they are prominently visible at this scale. Maybe that's something to consider when creating the 3d models for printing as well.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 03:05:40 PM »
These come out surprisingly well for a home printer! I would never have imagined usch a quality would be possible with a non-professional product.

I remember something about GHQ circumventing the issue with details disappearing in their tiny 6mm metal tanks by making them far larger than they would be to scale, mostly rivets which would be three times larger or even more so they are prominently visible at this scale. Maybe that's something to consider when creating the 3d models for printing as well.

Thanks! It's something i always do when modelling. In fact, most of what i do couldn't be just "rescaled" to other scales and work as well. I keep the polygons to a low level and dthe details as exxagerated as possible. :)

The printer itself is very nice. Any SLA-DLP printer can achieve this quality, the increasing price is more due to reliability and speed. Of course, when you go tenfold up, the quality is much better too. :)

Still, for a 200 euros kickstarter, i'm happy. :)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 04:51:59 PM »
A few more tanks printed. And two little soviet cars, who doesn't need a Trabant?

Now looking for new designs, I'm happy with my first one! How should i call it, btw? Ideas?

Here are the trabants. Not a lot of details, but good for scenery.

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 11:13:20 AM »
More designs in the works! APCs and heavier tanks. Some long range cannons too.

The heavy version of the tanks above has a taller hull and a much larger turret. I guess it'll be slower, but it's not a big deal:

APC and long range cannon on a different hull. Not a super fan of this design, i might ditch it entirely for my forces.

That's it for now. Printed copies of the heavy tank are being done.

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »
Here's some photos before i start the painting:

Cheers again,
Jack

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »
Nice stuff! 

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 08:18:47 PM »
Thanks! I've airbrushed the whole batch now, time for washes and details!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »
An airbrushed group photo. As you can see, i couldn't resist to print more heavies in the weekend:

Cheers
Jack

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 10:54:46 PM »
If those could be used for hammer’s slammers, I’d be all over them. There’s a gap right now. Make them hover?
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 08:56:50 AM »
I definitely could, but the over-tanks don't fit my taste or style I'm afraid. :(
You're not the first asking for that,though. I might find a solution that i like that does not include tracks nor wheels!

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 06:18:57 PM »
A minor update: I figured it was time to spend some time to prepare a proper rendering environment. Now the tanks look a bit fancier. :)

As a bonus, I've spent the weekend in Sofia, Bulgaria. They have an amazing War Museum, and their soviet tanks collections is impressive. Lots of nuclear missile launchers too! :)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »
And... a howitzer is designed. The first prints are done, I'll post more updates once I'll have a few assembled..

Cheers
Jack

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »
Very cool designs. 

I really need to get on this 3D Printing and Modelling band wagon.  I feel like I really wasted my time learning how to sculpt (even if it is still a pretty crude level) and should have focused on Sketch-up instead.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »
Very cool designs. 

I really need to get on this 3D Printing and Modelling band wagon.  I feel like I really wasted my time learning how to sculpt (even if it is still a pretty crude level) and should have focused on Sketch-up instead.

In my opinion, 3D modelling is just another tool in the arsenal. I rarely produce masters with out of the printer stuff,as the hand work for weathering and damaging is incomparable. Still, knowing a bit of 3d is indeed useful!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 08:30:30 AM »
Howitzers printed! Six done, three to go. I've got my heavy battery for the Baran Siegemasters. To follow, the gun emplacements! :)

C&C welcome!

Cheers
Jack